Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wroncho Link Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wroncho Link Help

I'm throwing together a Wroncho and am on the fence about the link/trans configuration. I see that some people flip the trans and put custom links on, or raised tabs, and some leave the trans as is and use standard links.

My question is can you guys chime in on what you did and why? And how it performs?

This is going to me my mudder/loaner so I'm not into sinking much time or money into it so I would like to go with the simplest option.

Thanks!
UnlimitedJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wroncho Link Help

If you want to do it correctly and still have correct 4 link geometry you need bent upper links to clear the drive shafts. Then you don't have to raise or flip nothing.
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was hoping to use the stock links, which are bent. If the trans ins i the stock position it really cranks on the drive shafts and I was wondering if that is causing people problems?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

Search "wroncho"
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Search "wroncho"
Thanks tips.....really constructive advice

I have read every thread out there and know how people have been doing it, I'm looking for a comparison in performance and ease of assembly.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
Thanks tips.....really constructive advice

I have read every thread out there and know how people have been doing it, I'm looking for a comparison in performance and ease of assembly.
Well I'll do it for you then, this probably has the best info your going to get.

Bender's Honcho............Now Sporting Wraith Axles
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think the easiest way would be to go the normal non bent upper link route without flipping the trans. The reason I didn't do this was my driveshafts would have been too short that way. I am using MIP (for AX10) drive shafts. I already had them. By having the driveshaft go from one side to the other, they were too short. Plus they were at a pretty high angle this way as well. I decided to go the way of flipping the trans mount and trans. Kept the driveshaft angles mush better, but put the shaft in the way of one of the upper links on each axle. They appeared to not hit if not switching the trans (first way I assembled it). But like I said, the driveshafts wouldn't reach. Even with how I have it now and set to 13 inch wheelbase, they are close to being too short. But they do work properly. Aside from adjusting all links for length, etc to get proper alignment, the bend in the links was easy. The bender I used was a cheapy I got at a local Autozone for brake line. Made quick work of the bends. I just bent the outer 1/3 of one of the top links on each axle. I then used a small spacer between the rod end and link to make up the loss in length due to bending it. Not bad at all to do. I spent a bit of time messing with the links to get my pinion angles where I wanted them and the axles perfectly centered to the chassi. But it was an easy thing to do that did not require anything too special for tools. Just a cheap bender that can be bought anywhere for not much money. i think it is the better route as you will have much better driveshaft angles. The little bit of work really justifies it.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

THis was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedJDB View Post
THis was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated!
I am looking back on that last post of mine, and my typing was horrible . Anyways, I think if you get it sorted out you will be very happy. I have 3 SCX10's and none have performed anywhere close to what this one does with the Wraith axles. The width really makes things stable and less prone to rolling over. A combination of the axle width and how I made a battery plate to lower the battery really works. A benefit to flipping the transmission is your driveshafts will be very inline with the inputs (differential) on the axles. Having them at high angles (like if you installed them without the flip) contributes to torque steer. Some may argue that point. But I have found that torque steer is very limited with the current setup. Still there as most always with a shafty rig. But no where near as bad as some setups I have tried. The drive shafts on this current "Wroncho" have them in a strait line from axle to trans. It works very well.

I don't think the Wraith axles lend to scale looks. they look wider then anything you would come across in the real world when using most 1/10 scale or so body's. Scx10 axles look like 1 ton axles (wider) on most body's. But when run on a TTC rig or something that is not built completely true to scale, Wraith axles are excellent. If you are building something for performance, it is an incredible upgrade compared to the width of a normal SCX. I have run my config for about 5 or 6 hours now and am completely happy. nothing I would change suspension wise, other then I may try a little firmer shock/spring setup. But that is due to overall weight and not just due to the axles. It is just a tuning preference. I have no suspension quirks, no drive shaft bind, no weird axle steer. So I think at least in my case, I can say the bent upper link is a great way to go. not hard to do and seems to work very well. You may have seen some pics of my setup as they have been posted recently. but here is the outcome:

The bend in the upper link (same both axles)

Upper middle view, you can see drive shafts close but they do not rub. They may touch at points due to pivoting on the ball/rod ends. But they can pivot away from the shaft and do not rub with pressure.

Underside that shows angled rod ends I used to help with rod end bind due to angles the wider axles mounts use.

Overall underside view

Front underside

Rear underside

If there is anything else I can help with feel free to ask or pm!
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Wow. Thanks for the details. This will help a lot. I was going to try and avoid having to make links but I have all the material so I might as well. I'm sure anyone else trying to do the same will really appreciate this thread.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #11

@Rook82 those pictures helped me a ton. I put the stock JK body on it and the back axle sits to close. But thanks for the pictures
THEKrawlerKID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #12

What size links are those you put on?? I put my wraith ones on and the rear axle needs to sit further back. Whats a longer link then a 7x85mm??
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

This shows what I did for wronch links.

Started out with all stock pre-bent stuff then finally made links to clear the driveshafts. Scroll down.
You only need to make two links, one for the front and rear closest to the driveshaft.
I used 8-32 all thread.

Cremancheho

hope this helps
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #14

@Salojac I saw your thread great build. I love the look with the body and even with the 2.2 it still looks scale. How much did it cost you to get 2 98mm and 2 106mm links??? I cant find any place that sells just 2 of each
Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

axial links are sold in pairs..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEKrawlerKID4 View Post
@Salojac I saw your thread great build. I love the look with the body and even with the 2.2 it still looks scale. How much did it cost you to get 2 98mm and 2 106mm links??? I cant find any place that sells just 2 of each
Thanks
I got those at Liquid RC in 2 packs. They have a NH location so I can get parts in like a day.
Thanks for the props on the wroncho. I had a great time bulding it and learned a lot about links and suspension while doing it.
Looking at what to do with it next. It was never born as a 1.9 Honcho....Wraith maybe......craziness.
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #17

See my rear axle sits to close. I have the JK body on it and looks funny. But when I get the new links it will be good. But congrats on the build @Salojac
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #18

@RolandRockshop the ones I found are sold in a package wit 8 links and all the hardware and stuff.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Here alittle more help.I did a three link front and rear and it works great .If i can only post pic i would show you.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #20

Post it too imgur.com then post the web address it gives you

Tags
link help, links, wroncho

Wroncho Link Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wroncho Chodey24 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 08-29-2012 10:08 AM
wroncho help steveo 561 Axial SCX-10 2 08-24-2012 09:19 PM