Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: servo mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Default servo mount

just wantin to get some feedback on mountin the steerin servo on the chassis... i heard from a guy here that he didn't like it very much. does it hinder the articulation at all or anything like that???
crawliestsalinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: servo mount

Chassis mounted steering is only done for the scale factor. If you're looking for performance, axle mount has it beat in almost every regard.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
dkf
Rock Crawler

I made a chassis mount for the servo and 4 linked the front. I like the 4link setup but do not really like the chassis mounted servo.(front wheels turn slightly when suspension is compresses and rebounds) Going to put the old axle mount servo/4 link plate back on for now. May consider the hand brothers kit or make my own parts in the future. Maybe I will will keep it on the axle. Depends on if I have the time.

Last edited by dkf; 10-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Ok thanks a bunch man i appreciate it
crawliestsalinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i didnt like it bc of high torque sevros and heavy wheels my frame would twist. so i lost all that torque in twisting the frame then turning the tires.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The ONLY way to do a chassis mounted servo is with a 3 link/panhard setup. The draglink needs to be the same length and and angle as the panhard bar. If you look at the hand bros. kit you will see a very well engineered front suspension/steering setup that works great. It does limit vertical travel somewhat but that means nothing. Articulation is smoother and the steering follows the suspension perfectly. Running a axle mounted servo is for comp rigs IMO.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

CMS can and has been done just fine with 4links. Look at a stock jeep. The links must be straight.
The wheels moving is bump steer and like states without the links being tuned correctly it will happen.
Is it going to hinder your driving? Not enough for you to notice unless your either really good driver or going really fast. Even then if you can tell you can drive through it.

It's done for the scale factor or looks if you will.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
CMS can and has been done just fine with 4links. Look at a stock jeep. The links must be straight.
The wheels moving is bump steer and like states without the links being tuned correctly it will happen.
Is it going to hinder your driving? Not enough for you to notice unless your either really good driver or going really fast. Even then if you can tell you can drive through it.

It's done for the scale factor or looks if you will.
You left out the part about 1:1 heeps also have a panhard bar, which is REQUIRED. Try driving your jeep without a panhard, all the steering will do is move the body, it wont steer the tires. The same happens to a rc hence the reason for my explanation above
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
No idea what I'm doing

I have a chassis mounted servo, and still run the stock 3 link in the front with no panhard bar. Like doublej said, the bumpsteer is very slight, and nothing that can't be driven out of. Would I drive a 1:1 truck like this at highway speed? No way, but for toy trucks it's fine.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i run homebrew CMS with front 4-link. it does have slight bump steer but it's not enough concern for me to redo the whole front end....but might happen eventually just because - but so far so good
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote

servo mount - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM
BWD Modular Servo Mount/Battery Tray/Adjustable Upper Link Mount billet works HPI Wheely King 18 07-05-2010 10:52 AM