Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: who running twin motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default who running twin motors?

wondering whos running a twin motor setup? ive got a 55t motor right now, but im toying with the idea of grabbing an adapter plate to run twin 55t motors. anyone doing this yet? what kind of reviews can you offer on it?
bouncyroof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: who running twin motors?

Google it. Found several links to dual motor setups that come back to RCC. Or search dual motors in this section.
Not sure why two motors would want to be used but to each their own!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

a buddy of mine is running dual 55t motors, one per axle, with similar gearing as me, and he seems to have more torque than me and also a higher top end speed which would be helpful for those climbs that need throttle input
Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I was going to run this set-up but from what i've heard if they are off by a little in terms of sync. it causes problems. Not sure if it's true or not. im just going to run one really nice motor instead. less motors = less problems.
ranger4xlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

ive been watching some videos and doing what reading i can, im not sure what you need to sync, power goes to both motors together, they turn, no problem. the only issue id see would be if you were running stock gearing in the trans, its plastic teeth and with the torque two motors generate it could sheer them. what id do is run twin 35t motors, that way the two motors generate plenty of torque and enough wheel speed to get you through the situations where its needed. but the other option i have and its probably what ill do, keep my 55t motor, go to a brxl and run a 3s lipo in there, get a bit more power from the 3s and still have all the torque i need. ive already got upgraded cv's and driveshafts, and anything else i break ill just upgrade as i go
Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I'm running dual motors. Got two 27t Axial motors wired to a single male Deans, then connected to my XL-5. 20 tooth pinions on whatever the stock spur gear is, and it's got gobs of torque. The only problem is, I had the transmission mirrored to help with torque twist, but the plate doesn't allow for that (it's thicker than the stock plate, and has countersunk holes on one side), so now it's stock again, and the weight of the two motors on one side makes it a bit worse. Gonna' see if I can't use buttonhead screws or make my own plate to correct it.

EDIT:

Don't worry about the teeth of the spur gear, you're not adding any more torque on any set of teeth unless you get a more powerful motor, as the motors are riding different sets of teeth at all times. The only thing you should be worried about is everything further down the line from that. Tranny gears, drive shafts, axle shafts and gears. Only thing that's not stock, driveline wise on my rig, are my MIP X-duty shafts, everything else has held up fine thus far.

Last edited by Zeus.:God; 11-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

good to know, thats one thing i was wondering about too, the weight being offset to the one side, and the center of gravity being raised up higher. you think theres room to make a plate that would set a second motor level with the first on the other side of the truck, balancing out the weight a bit better?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

counter balance the weight with your battery location
Pegasix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

the only problem with that is youd need to pull the battery back a little to properly balance it and take weight off the front. i still think a bracket that puts both motors as low as possible would be the best option.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

If you were to make your own plate, you could make it so the second motor mounts over the outputs for the driveshafts. Your COG would be just as high, but the weight would be better distributed from side to side. Though if you could get in contact with the company that makes them, you might be able to get them to put the countersinks for the screws on the opposite side so you can just mirror your transmission accordingly.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

in reality these plates arent that hard to make. just need to measure things properly and slot the bolt holes so that you can clock the motor by swiveling it lock it in against the gear. maybe ill make one over the winter when half of my hobbies get put on the back burner

who running twin motors? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ya'll running 35T motors, what pinion are you running? concretejungle Axial XR10 9 03-11-2012 08:18 PM
twin brushless motors dmgriff266 Electronics 3 05-26-2010 03:52 PM
sidewinder micro, with twin BL motors? STANG KILLA SS Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 02-10-2009 04:06 PM
Tekin FXR - Twin motors Miller Tyme Electronics 3 06-13-2008 04:39 PM