Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial Aluminum Upgrade issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial Aluminum Upgrade issues

I replaced the c-hubs, knuckles and stock dogbones with the Axial CVD's. It looks great, but the steering is stiff, and I can't get full range of turning anymore. I have tried many combinations, the only way they will turn easily is if I loosen the bolts all the way up and then I have a lot of slop and play. The CVD's are super smooth, love them. However the c-hubs and knuckles are just not working that well...any ideas? The knuckles didn't exactly line up with the c-hubs, so I had to put a lot of pressure on the knuckles in order to line up the holes.
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
WOOPOOW!!

Default Re: Axial Aluminum Upgrade issues

Nick what bushings do you have in your knuckles? Sounds like they are binding, I got a couple of different kinds here if you want to bring that new cruiser over.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

bushings or screws are too tight..

easy fix!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The bushings are the aluminum ones that are from the plastic set. The screws are from HobbyTown. Which bushings/screws should I be using?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

just don't crank them down so tight, and loctite the screws in place or you'll be losing them on the trails.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ah. I was thinking about that, I may have them tightened down to tight. But any looser and the hand down a lot. I guess I'll have to loctite and leave than hand tight.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
WOOPOOW!!

Its because you bought from hobbytown. No other reason but that
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Something must be off because I crank mine right down so they'd stay tight and my steering is solid but turns easily. Are the knuckle flanges you're using steel or plastic? If plastic it's possible you crushed them and that is making it bind up. That's all I can think of.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

They are the aluminum bushings. The holes didn't quite line up when I installed ON the rig. I'll take everything apart and assemble off the truck and then slide everything on in one peice
Old 11-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

what do you mean the holes didn't line up? the kingpin holes on the knuckles should line up fairly well with the c-hub kingpin holes without any issues. got a front pic of the knuckles? i looked in your build but only saw top view.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
what do you mean the holes didn't line up? the kingpin holes on the knuckles should line up fairly well with the c-hub kingpin holes without any issues. got a front pic of the knuckles? i looked in your build but only saw top view.
The holes didn't line up in the top and bottom. It was like the CVD's were pushing out to much. I could not slide the knuckle onto the c-hub and have the screws thread in easily. I had to force the knuckles onto the c-hubs and barely got the screws to thread it. I'll pull the CVD's and install with the stock dog bones and see. Too many factors with the setup, could be one of 8 things not meshed or tightened.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

that sounds like your problem right there. is it the same on both sides or just one side?

i'd start by looking at places that contact the axle and can push it outward -- axles bottoming out on locker if flat spots are too short, outer bearing for axle housing not seated all the way/obstruction and prematurely bottoming out the axle, c-hub seated too close to center of axle somehow. also you might want to remove a CVD and compare it to your stock dogbone axle -- verify the same length between the flange that touches the outer bearing for the axle housing, and the inside tip/flat spot where it inserts in the locker. i would guess that it's an issue with that outer bearing making contact with the flange on the axle prematurely and making the CVD stick out too much.

if you're gonna pull it apart, you could also assemble it with the front side of the axle housing removed so you can see exactly what's causing the issue.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Excellent points. I did not consider the c-hubs being seated to far inward. I will check the bearing seating, and the length of the CVD's vs dogbones. It was late, I was tired and just threw it all together. I will loosen up the c-hubs and see if that takes care of the stiffness. I did mount the c-hubs as far inward as I could. I will try removing the CVD's and reinstalling the c-hub/knuckle and verify it's not the hardware or bushings. Then I'll drop in the CVD's and see. I do need to clean the axle anyways, perfect excuse! I may loosen up all the bolts too allow the parts to settle into a "neutral" zone, then tighten down.

Thanks for you help. I'll post back when I get everything taken apart and reinstalled.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

OP, hope you don't mind me bumping this thread BTT with my own similar question...

Somewhere on here I remember reading a thread (that I can't seem to find again?) where someone mentioned using a set of Tamiya Kingpin Screws, but If I remember correctly the suggestion was in reference to reducing/eliminating slop in the stock plastic knuckles...

My question is would these also be suitable for installation on a new set of Vanquish aluminum 8* C-hub's and steering knuckle's as well? (to be installed in place of 2piece style bushing's and screw's) Seem's like the 1 pc kingpin screw would be ideal as far as not being able to over-tighten them, but I would still need to come up with a way to "shim" the slop between the C-hub and knuckle somehow.
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Aluminum Upgrade issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 TR Aluminum Links Upgrade Set remydegreat Axial SCX-10 1 06-15-2011 11:11 PM
Axial aluminum upgrade links Scor1pion Axial SCX-10 1 05-31-2011 10:45 AM