Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Trail Honcho Vs. New Wrangler Rubicon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Trail Honcho Vs. New Wrangler Rubicon?

Hi guy's!

Looking for advice/opinions, someone help me make a decision...

Contemplating my first scaler rig, and I've pretty much decided on the SCX10 to start out with.

My dilemma is this. Do I buy a trail Honcho (proven design, available now), or should I wait a couple/few more weeks and hold out for the new Rubicon!?!

I can tell just by looking at the pic's of the new Rubicon the main (obvious) differences are: Body kit with fender flares, front and rear bumpers including a swing out spare tire carrier, and new wheel's and tires.

One other thing I notice from the listed specs is an increased overall length and additional weight (not necessarily an improvement as far as driveability is concerned, but it looks good!)

Are there any other differences I am overlooking?

My 3rd option would be to get the Dingo in kit form instead of one of the 2 above mentioned RTR's, and install better radio, esc, motor, and scaler body right off the get go...

Please advise, what would YOU do?
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trail Honcho Vs. New Wrangler Rubicon?

just buy them all lol
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hey ,
What i would do is buy the dingo kit and install your own choice of electronics, and body if you desire so..i have a built dingo and in my opinion this the better path to take i have installed a novak goat 3s , with CC bec , and a hitec 7954 servo in mine ..i run the included ripsaws on axial beads and weighted , and also have a set of proline 1.9 titus wheels with flat irons..plus another perk of the dingo is that YOU have to build it ensuring that nuts and screws and things are greased properly also stock axial servos in my expierence never tend to last very long...either option is a good option i,m just telling what i did ..hope some of this helps ..cheers and happy trailing
RcKirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Like RcKirb said a kit would be ideal... BUT..... as a first scale rig the Trail Ready Honcho or the Wrangler Rubicon would be perfect. Personally I love the new look with the Officailly Licensed Jeep body. If you can wait I would get the NEW one coming out. As a first Scale rig it comes with a quality AE-2 ESC (Castle) a slightly durable servo and a decent 2.4 radio system. There are some very easy and cheap mods that can be done to make the RTR perform extremely well. My vote would be the NEW Rubicon but if you cant wait get the TR Honcho. Good luck and welcome to the ADDICTION!!!!!

Edit: Let me say the reason i push the rtr is its the OPs first scale rig. If for some odd reason he doesn't like the slow lane he could sell it pretty easy. Before a tone of money is dumped right off the bat.

Last edited by AsILayDying; 11-17-2012 at 07:17 PM.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

I just built the dingo recently. Prefer the do it myself route, and getting the choice of electronics. Now that its built I can choose how I want it to look body/scale wise.
dirtbiker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Flip a coin.. if you end up liking Axial half as much as some of us, you'll own them all eventually.

I prefer kits but i must admit it was a RTR that sucked me into this hobby so the honcho or the upcoming Jeep certainly wouldn't be a bad thing... I'd probably wait for the new Jeep.. The licensed Jeep aspect of it along with the bumpers and the potentially great new tires make it very appealing..
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Wait and get the jeep.

2 reasons... It's a first rig so rtr will have almost everything and is a good base to play and upgrade as needed. And it's got all the new Axial goodies! New tires make it worth it Imo
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

O.K. So I was in the same boat until the Rubicon showed up, My problem is how much battery to get for somebody that's just going to play for and hour or so 2 times a month. ( too many 1x1 vehicles)
bdcvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcvg View Post
O.K. So I was in the same boat until the Rubicon showed up, My problem is how much battery to get for somebody that's just going to play for and hour or so 2 times a month. ( too many 1x1 vehicles)
Running stock electronics I would say not higher then 2s LiPos and go 4000mah to 5000mah and get 2. You would be good for at least a few hours with no issue. Hobbypartz.com and look for Gens Ace 2s LiPos.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #10

If you like the honcho get it,or if you can wait for the rubi get it.All of my RC's weather RTR,roller,or kit get totally disassembled and reassembled just to make sure it was done right and to add my personal tips,tricks,and love.It sounds like you may be mechanically inclined.Also if you are a gearhead and become addicted to the hobby you may want to buy a kit to save some money to put towards upgrades that you want.If you just want to play every now and then and not invest in alot of upgrades and personalize it go with a rtr.Avoid spending the money twice,but then again we all do.If you don't have anything a RTR is a good place to start but you may end up replacing or upgrading parts or electronics in the future,it's a hard decision,anyway pull the trigger and have fun,welcome to the hobby.
wraith6802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the replies from everyone.

Im leaning hard towards the new Wrangler RTR... I realize it doesnt include the best electronic components, but I do really like the new body kit and bumpers!

Im still doing my research regarding batteries and chargers... I have been "in and out" (and in and out again) of the hobby for over 25 years, but I have never gone "LiPo" (yet?) If I DONT go Lipo, I already have a charger that will work. If I DO switch over to LiPo, I will need to invest in a new charger as well. Off to do some more reading dangit...
BodiBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I just got my second SCX-10 last week, a RTR Trail Honcho and I love it, I did the aluminum link upgrade kit before running it though. I am VERY impressed with the electronics with this RTR, normally the electronics on RTR's are garbage but for once I'm leaving it all stock, the servo is fairly decent, the ESC is AWESOME!! The motor is ehh, good enough, it holds when you set the drag brake to 100% through castle link on the ESC and the radio is actually extremely good, very impressed. I bought my first SCX-10 two years ago, literally because I bought my first SCX-10 on this month in 2010 was the Honcho kit because I wanted to use my electronics instead of the crappy one's they had with the RTR back then and converted it to the short wheelbase version to accommodate the H2 Hummer.

Basically what I'm not saying and implying instead, you're going to end up with all the Axial models, LOL!
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

The TR honcho is pretty capable out of the box but those cursed plastic linkages need to go if your going for serious off roading. Of course if you get axials linkage upgrade kit the truck does great! Just watch out for the WB8 driveshafts twisting...I gotta mod mine so they last just a little bit longer!

I would totally get the Rubicon though if I had $400 to blow!

Sent from the laundromat in Nunda, NY using Tapatalk 2
Go4Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I thought about it for a week before deciding on the Honcho.
The battery is already where I want it,it seems to have the same electronics,chassis, and wheelbase,and it's $25.00 less.
I like the jeep,but I can makes changes to the Honcho body (to make it my own
if you will).The Jeep is already done, great by the way.
JCO245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodiBuilt View Post
Thanks for all the replies from everyone.

Im leaning hard towards the new Wrangler RTR... I realize it doesnt include the best electronic components, but I do really like the new body kit and bumpers!

Im still doing my research regarding batteries and chargers... I have been "in and out" (and in and out again) of the hobby for over 25 years, but I have never gone "LiPo" (yet?) If I DONT go Lipo, I already have a charger that will work. If I DO switch over to LiPo, I will need to invest in a new charger as well. Off to do some more reading dangit...
I have 2 3s 6000mahto run in my dingo/honcho..as for going lipo , take my advice as well as others on here too and make the jump ..you will not be dissapointed..run times are greatly improved over "stick" packs as i call em haha ..plus they dont lose as much punch throughout the run cycle as the older packs ..technology for batteries has come light years since i first started using RC's .. as for a charger for charging lipos i recently picked up a new Onyx 235 and love it ..comes with all the necessary plugs and adapters for charging, and it can do anything from lipo, life, nicd,nimh and even rx packs...and the big bonus is you dont have to buy a seperate power supply for it ..wasn,t a terrible price at my LHS either $104 and change hope some of this helps..below is a pic of my dingo/honcho ford

RcKirb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/413451-trail-honcho-vs-new-wrangler-rubicon.html
Posted By For Type Date
Cyrres Axial Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Sidan 4 This thread Refback 03-01-2013 06:45 AM

Trail Honcho Vs. New Wrangler Rubicon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc wrangler rubicon david4x4 Videos! 6 02-06-2012 07:51 PM
rc wrangler rubicon david4x4 Scale Videos! 2 02-01-2012 01:15 PM
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon CAPTAIN INSANE-O 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 10-21-2010 07:13 PM
Wrangler Rubicon 2009 RoadKing Axial SCX-10 2 05-30-2010 05:52 PM
Rubicon to Wrangler zueslilbuddy Paint and Body 4 03-15-2009 06:43 AM