Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New SCX Honcho owner, let the modding beging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New SCX Honcho owner, let the modding being

Picked up a Honcho last night at my LHS. After playing with it in the living room, I couldn't wait to get it in a larger area. However, it was 8F out side. So, it went to work with me.

I realized quickly that I need to do something about the front bumper because it limits the approach angle, at least on pallets. As soon as I can find a suitable material, I am going to lift the bumper.

Once break was over, I left the honcho in the office and came back to find my coworker had been posing it...

Also, before I bought I read as many threads as I could about free mods. My first mod is going to be moving the on off switch.

On my way out of work I was doing some crawling on the some rocks, and it shut off. So, I am going to look at some alternatives.

I was also surprised at how quick the truck is, and it is even faster in reverse. I am going to try to look in the esc and see if I can smooth out the power band and slow down reverse to help the scale look and more controllers feel. I this possible or I it more a problem with the RTR tx?

Al in all I am very happy with the purchase. It has been so much fun!

Thanks

Sean

Last edited by Soundlzrd; 01-29-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Soundlzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New SCX Honcho owner, let the modding beging

Made my first change this morning. I swapped out the RTR reciever for a Futaba r2004gf. Now I can run with my Futaba 3PL Ive used on my dirt oval cars. I was pleased to find out the reciever can handle another channel and has 4ws capabilites if I "need."
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Ordered some PitBull 1.9 with Crawler Innovations Foam last night from CI and some Axial 1.9 Beadlocks this morning. Plan on getting some Radio Shack Project boxes to move the electronics to the sides of the transmission and the battery to behind the front shock towers.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

From ohio cool, me too, on my honcho i removed the front bumper an just relocated it to the top of the bumper mount using longer bolts,just remove the set screw pins pull the bumper out an place it on top of the mount,get 2 longer screws(bolts) an fasten the bumper back down,this will give you aleast a half inch more clearance, you will love the pitbulls they work great in this cold weather an snow.welcome to the scx thread.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Where at? I am in columbus.

I actually did that and forgot to post photos. Helped a ton out on the trail.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Little bit east of you,I am in ST,CLAIRSVILLE. Iam now in the process building up my stock honcho for my wife an daughter to run, my other honcho is all modified,stock these are great little trucks. alot of good tips an tricks in this forum.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlernut View Post
From ohio cool, me too, on my honcho i removed the front bumper an just relocated it to the top of the bumper mount using longer bolts,just remove the set screw pins pull the bumper out an place it on top of the mount,get 2 longer screws(bolts) an fasten the bumper back down,this will give you aleast a half inch more clearance, you will love the pitbulls they work great in this cold weather an snow.welcome to the scx thread.
i did this when i was running the stock bumper. one tip would be to add some round material back inside the holes where the bumper used to insert (that's now empty), and to use bolts that pass all the way through and use nuts on the end. This way you add strength back to the mount and won't oval the holes . Worked very well and was durable enough not to break before I replaced it all with steel
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Upgrades I would start with.

Knuckles and C hubs
Upper & lower links
steering link
drive-shafts

Lots of places to go with the scx10. Good luck!
jjwiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
i did this when i was running the stock bumper. one tip would be to add some round material back inside the holes where the bumper used to insert (that's now empty), and to use bolts that pass all the way through and use nuts on the end. This way you add strength back to the mount and won't oval the holes . Worked very well and was durable enough not to break before I replaced it all with steel
Good idea! The piece the bumper plugs into might be cheaper than running out and buying nuts and bolts...

I like the metal bumper idea.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

^oh if you're looking for "cheaper" anything regarding RC's - then you've picked the wrong hobby to venture into!
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkolator View Post
^oh if you're looking for "cheaper" anything regarding RC's - then you've picked the wrong hobby to venture into!
Haha, any hobby is expensive. My experience, so far, is this branch of rc is inexpensive. Operation cost are cheap, breakage bill is low and infrequent, no entry fee and I get out and get exercise. RC helis on the other hand... Not so much. Which is why if I can meet my needs/wants without trying to out do the rest of you here(thankfully I know my place already) and still have fun, I'm happy. I have too many hobbies to try and be the best at all of them. But this one, and the people, are awesome!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Haha, I was worried about getting into Helis myself, but hours spent on a simulator and plenty of RC experience carried me to 100 flights without a single mishap. I stopped flying it after that because I didn't want to push my luck, lol. A simple blade strike can be catasrophic. As far as RC goes, I'll stick to crawlers for now.

Were you able to get things smoothed out a bit with the Futaba? I know between the throttle profile settings on my ESC, expo, and the "throttle speed" setting on my transmitter throttle control is effortlessly smooth.

Edit: And it may be time to talk your coworker into getting one. Posing someone elses when they aren't looking is the first sign of crawler addiction, hehe.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 02-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Haha, I was worried about getting into Helis myself, but hours spent on a simulator and plenty of RC experience carried me to 100 flights without a single mishap. I stopped flying it after that because I didn't want to push my luck, lol. A simple blade strike can be catasrophic. As far as RC goes, I'll stick to crawlers for now.
You are correct. I have a few helis, and have yet to have anything expensive break. I did crash my 130X into the house, house won. That cost 30 dollars to fix. Unfortunatly it also took me about 3 months and now its been to windy to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Were you able to get things smoothed out a bit with the Futaba? I know between the throttle profile settings on my ESC, expo, and the "throttle speed" setting on my transmitter throttle control is effortlessly smooth.

Edit: And it may be time to talk your coworker into getting one. Posing someone elses when they aren't looking is the first sign of crawler addiction, hehe.
The Futaba did smooth things out a bit. I havent played with the throttle trims or % yet, but I found it handled very well on the trail. I was able to modulate the thottle much better with the Futaba than the RTR remote. That being said, it was a great RTR remote.

And yes, I am trying to get my coworker into crawling. Ive been trying to get him back into RC all together. He really likes my SCT too. See, its not crawling thats expensive, its the whole RC "thing"

Last edited by Soundlzrd; 02-22-2013 at 07:22 AM.

New SCX Honcho owner, let the modding beging - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Honcho Owner Andyjk Axial SCX-10 30 07-14-2013 05:46 PM
New Honcho Owner Looking For Crawler Buddies monsterman New York 15 12-19-2011 05:20 PM
New Honcho Owner! NickGood Newbie General 4 02-12-2011 12:29 AM
help new honcho owner! cool94beans Newbie General 20 07-30-2010 12:18 AM
Convert a SCX-kit or SCX-TR into Honcho w/ part #s neoakaj Axial SCX-10 0 12-23-2009 09:32 PM