Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: VP CVD vs XR mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default VP CVD vs XR mod

Hey fellow crawlers. I'm stuck in a bind between doing the XR 10 mod or jus buying the VP cvds. I want a strong axle shaft and awesome steering. Jus wondering what setup is best. They will cost about the same price.
waiukea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: VP CVD vs XR mod

I've got both setups and I like them both for different reasons.

The xr conversion is a good bit narrower but on an ax/scx axle it adds just enough width to be able to turn if you are very careful with how your shocks and tierod etc are mounted.

I have vvd's in a wraith axle and while it has the same turning ability it doesn't have the clearance issues due to the extra width which would severely limit things on a stock width ax/scx housing.

I'd suggest removing the dog bones from your axle but leaving the stubs so you can bolt the wheels/tires back on. Now turn it lock to lock and note just how much crap is in your way. Links, shocks etc will need to be modified to turn at stock width. Now add about 1/2" to each side and see if it'll clear. If it will then the xr setup is for you.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: VP CVD vs XR mod

I agree with what was posted. Nice way to see what would get in the way if you had unlimited steering. =)

I have xr steering on my 3 rigs and compared to when I ran Axial CVD's with high steering knuckles its night and day. The big issue was/is with all that steering now you face problems of the tires rubbing against your shocks or lower links at full turn. I've corrected this by making bent links, limiting EPA's and even with wider offset tires. Great mod and I can see your dilemma since the xr mod will cost just about as much as getting the scx10 VP CVD's.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if you're willing to spend the money, why not try the HD super 300's. I have them in my sporty and I have this steering of the XR10 with the strength of the vanquish.

sent from Team Angry Birds
phllint is offline   Reply With Quote

VP CVD vs XR mod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adamargue's wk xr10 cvd mod! adamargue HPI Wheely King 16 06-23-2012 07:13 AM
HPI CVD Mod? Gimbal Kyosho Crawlers 13 04-18-2011 07:47 PM
LCC cvd mod papabash Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 01-24-2011 02:00 PM
Cvd mod rockslyder Team Losi Comp Crawler 15 07-20-2009 12:56 PM