Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 8degree chubs and knuckles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 8degree chubs and knuckles?

Whats the benifits of these or the difference of a 8 degree knuckle and chub versus a stock set
bigred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #2

Default Re: 8degree chubs and knuckles?

Yeah, I'd like to know too. Obviously there must be benifits of adjusting this but for the life of me I can't see the point of adjusting castor on a truck that spends most of it's life going 1mph. Maybe it helps you lay the tire over the top of an obstacle and pull yourself up with the sidewall or something?
Jason Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd benefit from them because after clocking the front axle enough to get the pinion angle perfect and up out of the way, there is massive negative caster which not only results in poor steering performance, but your tie rod is lower and pointed more towards the ground too. I'd recommend them if you were going with a CMS and had the axle clocked forward. When you start tinkering and messing with stuff, you begin to appreciate anything with adjustability or an offset of some sort.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

From what I read the biggest benefit of the 8 degree over regular high steer knuckle is more traction when steering. I ended up getting axial high steer knuckles I already had axial metal chubs and didn't want to buy another set to run 8 degree knuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
talmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It allows you to clock the axle to give the driveshaft pinion angle some relief. It also helps you get the diveshaft pinion tucked up and out of the way a little more. This helps lessen the chance that a rock will pull the driveshaft off the pinion shaft.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You guys are way off. The 8* chubs and knucks do nothing for pinion angle. Here is a very good pic showing the 8* parts.

Thanks to Badger for the pic.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
You guys are way off. The 8* chubs and knucks do nothing for pinion angle. Here is a very good pic showing the 8* parts.
But that doesn't tell these guys what the 8* does for you.........
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what it does for you. I just wanted the other guys to understand what the 8* parts were. I have seen a couple of different threads about it, and I am in the camp of not using the 8* parts.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post

Thanks to Badger for the pic.
I want to see a picture straight from the side with the knuckle off and see how the chubs are clocked.

And yes while not doing anything directly to pinion angle it allows you to clock the axle forward without having too much negative caster.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

i'm fairly certain that pic is without c-hubs being clocked since the mounting is centered with everything else on the axle - so the caster would be 0* inclination/vertical.

since the 8* steering setup includes king pin inclination, the wheel's camber changes as the wheels turn, thus changing the tire scrub while steering. this has nothing to do with the pinion angle of the axle. IIRC, 8* setup will not clear stock wheels w/stock wheel hex - you'll need either aftermarket wheels with different offset or wider wheel hexes.

if you increase your pinion angle by clocking your axle forward, you've now changed the c-hubs into negative caster angle = wheels steering more into the ground no matter what steering knuckle setup you have. the only way to correct this is to clock the c-hubs in the opposite direction you've just clocked your axle - so the caster is set closer to vertical, like it was originally.

a *similar* setup to the 8* knuckles, would be to have a regular steering setup with the c-hubs clocked back into a positive caster angle - which will also result in camber angle changing as your wheels turn. easiest achieved with either clockable c-hubs or with beef tubes inside axle.

some benefits to having your camber change as your wheels turn: steering tends to want to go back to straight after a turn, less tire scrub, wheels don't fight one another as much, added camber helps steer tire into the object you're trying to climb over = better traction, camber at full steering can help clearance tires from hitting shocks.

this is the best explanation i can personally give since it's a difficult thing to explain without seeing a video or comparison pics of the different setups.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks this helped me out so basically its just to get more tire on the ground when turning
Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
Whats the benifits of these or the difference of a 8 degree knuckle and chub versus a stock set
Here's a good read: Vanquish Axial AX-10 8 degree C hubs and knuckles
btoungette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I was just refering to c-hubs that are clockable via how it mounts to the axle housing. Not the angle of the arms of the c-hub in relation to eachother.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

8* degrees of of camber will cause the tire to dig more as u turn if u ran 8* degrees on ur daily driver the vehicle would try to pull the steering wheel right out of youre hand and would wear the inside of ur tires out at 0* ur tires want to push at 8* the center line for ur steering is layed back so that the tire digs as you turn and not try to push ur tires hope this helps (ps this is the first thing they teach about when u go to school for mechanics on 1:1 cars it is steering geometry that is all)
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

To me it looks like the 8 degrees refers to the angle that the king pins are at, not camber. If you look at the photo the camber is at or close to 0 but the offset king pins will change the camber as you turn. How much? I don't know, I think it depends on a variety of other things, mainly the angle your tires are turned.

This setup reminds me a lot of my older 2wd buggies and stadium trucks where the front tires "flop" over when turning. All I know is that I'd like to have the geometry these offer for greater steering angles and an axle that is clocked forward because without them my caster is slightly negative and camber is positive when turning sharp, both seem to cause excessive scrubbing. I think our rigs benefit from a little negative camber and positive caster for raw steering performance and if I'm understanding everything correctly a set of these chubs/knuckles can provide that while maintaining good geometry for straight line driving.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

This is great learning so much bout steering that I never really understood. This site has so much info makes my brain hurt at times lol
Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

that is correct
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote

8degree chubs and knuckles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knuckles and Chubs despain85 Axial Wraith 2 04-16-2012 06:46 PM
Knuckles and Chubs elvis3714 Axial Wraith 6 11-12-2011 05:14 PM
Question about VP 8* Chubs and Knuckles DRV KRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 10-14-2011 10:15 AM
How much play in chubs/knuckles? Big Daddy Axial SCX-10 5 10-13-2011 06:23 PM