Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First SCX10 Build. How far will it go? Lots of pics!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Oldskool Toyota Mojave SCX10 build

Hi all. I have not posted here lots but have been checking the forums out for a while and have only done one crawler build so far and a wraith but I wanted to change it up and build a SCX10 instead. Here is some pics of where I was at the start to my Plow build to the work I have done today with the carbon link build, battery relocate, and ESC being put in receiver case to look like gas tank. Now for some pics.

Just after Putting it all together.

Rear shock Mod - Shocks to be updated this week. Waiting for them to arrive.

Flex Shot hanging off the table!!!

Stacked up 2.2 tires

I decided to finally take her outside for some driving.

Then I got board last weekend and decided to make a plow.

And today I did a ton of work. Moved the lower aluminum links to the top and built lowers using carbon fiber tube and Traxxas link ends. I moved the Receiver box to the back and put the ESC in it to make it look like a gas tank from the underside, then I built a mount for the battery to go across in the front along with my new custom chassis mounted servo with carbon steering rod.

Well that's where I am at so far. I have stuff coming this week from Junfac so I am stoked for that. And then...........Not to sure. Enjoy. Cheers

Last edited by cazper51; 07-30-2013 at 08:11 PM.
cazper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First SCX10 Build. How far will it go? Lots of pics!

A little project you can take up in the mean time is a panhard setup. The way you have it will bind and cause bumpsteer. Run it parallel to your drag link, and the same length. Then remove one of the front upper links. Voila, no bumpsteer or binding.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
A little project you can take up in the mean time is a panhard setup. The way you have it will bind and cause bumpsteer. Run it parallel to your drag link, and the same length. Then remove one of the front upper links. Voila, no bumpsteer or binding.

I think I know what your talking about. I will have to give it a try. Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Well I received a box I was waiting for. Thanks Junfac for you quick shipping. New shocks along with their clean looking skid plates. Check these things out!

Cheers.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

How does that rear shock mod compare to the stock set up
notmanywords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmanywords View Post
How does that rear shock mod compare to the stock set up
I find it gives it a lot more flex in the rear. It makes it a little softer side to side in the back which helps keep all 4 wheels planted.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I thought I would toss up some of pics of how I did some of my mods. Some still need to be cleaned up but that's the easy part. I did not take any during the past buildings but can for the most part explain with pictures.

Now on with the show!

first up is the Chassis mounted servo. That one was pretty basic. I used the original Axle mount and with some plastic spacers I just removed the front chassis brace and mounted it in 2 existing holes and used plastic bolts on the outside. I built a steering arm out of 6/32 threaded rod and Traxxas ends with carbon rod over the threaded rod.

At this point I could not fit the receiver box anymore so that got relocated to the back and the ESC has been installed in it. The way I got it to fit in the location I did was cut the front section of the X brace off using the rear section with the screw holes in it they lined up with the box holes. Now I am not looking for being waterproof so I am running a Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro ESC. Problem was the lid did not fit so I cut holes for the wires to exit out of and cut a square hole in the top for the fan to stick out.

At this point I have just figured out I need to find a new home for my battery. I seen others front cross mount it and figured I wanted to do it as clean as possible. I had the left over cross brace from the front so I drilled a hole on either side of the frame to screw it in (this was done after all mocking up was done) then I had to figure out how to hold it to it. An extra piece of plastic and some zip ties went a long way. And from the underside you can barely see them. Mounted the Metal plate like normal and all looked clean again.

At this point I realized I still had to install the receiver. Well I decided to cut some styrene to fit in behind the battery. This I did take pics during as to be able to show here.

The place I am going to fit it.

my accurate guesstimate. HAHA

Cut and holes drilled and countersunk.

And installed.....

Now to paint it flat black to match.

Hope I helped some out. Feel free to ask any questions. Cheers
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks great! I love my Dingo - my favorite rig so far! Just starting a JK kit, so my Dingo is probably going to get a bit less trail time after it is complete, but I'd not get rid of my Dingo!
Thanks for sharing your build!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

i bought my scx used, and it had the frame mounted servo. what is the benefit from mounting it to the frame vs the axle? less binding and more axle movement? thats the only thing i could figure after finishing the womans dingo and seeing it hit the frame from time to time.
ericsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsarge View Post
i bought my scx used, and it had the frame mounted servo. what is the benefit from mounting it to the frame vs the axle? less binding and more axle movement? thats the only thing i could figure after finishing the womans dingo and seeing it hit the frame from time to time.
From a technical standpoint - axle mounted gives you the best crawling and technical ability - cms gives you more scale appearance.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B94Cast View Post
Looks great! I love my Dingo - my favorite rig so far! Just starting a JK kit, so my Dingo is probably going to get a bit less trail time after it is complete, but I'd not get rid of my Dingo!
Thanks for sharing your build!
Thanks. Ya I am liking my dingo but I it will be getting a body change shortly. HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B94Cast View Post
From a technical standpoint - axle mounted gives you the best crawling and technical ability - cms gives you more scale appearance.

Thanks I was going to say the same thing. I did it more for scale looks then anything.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

So pumbed some more parts coming from RC4WD tomorrow!! Can you say new body!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Well got my body in just waiting for my rims and tires now.

here is the mock up

I got in to starting to lay paint last night

also finally got my parts in to do my light mod to my DX3S. Looks killer now

Thanks for looking.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I am trying to figure this forum out. 600+ views and only 3 people have actually commented on my build. This is my seccond build I have posted here and from the lack of response for either build from you people this is not a real open community. Seems you only comment on those building expensive builds that will sit on a shelf and if its not that there is just a lot of lookers. Thanks for all the lack of feedback. I am guessing this is not the place for me. Cheers.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #15

Can you show more detailed pics of how you did the plow arms please?
travis4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
In the band for now.

what is it that you want people to comment on. alot of your mods have been done many times over. yes your truck looks good, but it also looks like alot of the other rigs on here. if your happy with it then good for you. I've built several one off rigs and have yet to post a build thread on any. dont really need a pat on the back every time i build something, nor do I care if people like it or not. It just matters if I like it.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazper51 View Post
I am trying to figure this forum out. 600+ views and only 3 people have actually commented on my build. This is my seccond build I have posted here and from the lack of response for either build from you people this is not a real open community. Seems you only comment on those building expensive builds that will sit on a shelf and if its not that there is just a lot of lookers. Thanks for all the lack of feedback. I am guessing this is not the place for me. Cheers.
Sorry Cazper but am enjoying your build a lot I was curious if that yota body fit right on the dingo if wheelbase was same?
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

You have a cool build with a lot of upgrades.
I like the rear shock relocation mounts, I know you commented on it but how much better do you think it is, I'm thinking about getting one. However. I have the r2j kustoms 4 link truss tin the back, I'd most likely just have to use longer screws.
Thanks
Googledit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I like the cms with parts that came on the truck already, good idea!
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
what is it that you want people to comment on. alot of your mods have been done many times over. yes your truck looks good, but it also looks like alot of the other rigs on here. if your happy with it then good for you. I've built several one off rigs and have yet to post a build thread on any. dont really need a pat on the back every time i build something, nor do I care if people like it or not. It just matters if I like it.
Not looking for a pat on the back in particular but is it not the whole point of showing what your building off because your proud of it. If I did not want anyone to comment then I would just have a conversation with my self and sit in a corner. As far as I know a forum to show off your build is because you might want to have a conversation with others who are interested in the same thing. A simple " Looking good so far" is just a nice thing to do. At any point on any build someone has already done what your going to do on your one. its just all in how you bring it all togather and how clean you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis4380 View Post
Can you show more detailed pics of how you did the plow arms please?
I can take better pics when I get home. Or even better you PM me your addy and its yours. It does not really work on my build now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgrizzlymn View Post
Sorry Cazper but am enjoying your build a lot I was curious if that yota body fit right on the dingo if wheelbase was same?
Its all good I just have been on other sites for other custom work I do and usually get a response so I was just a little thrown off. as for the fitment. I extended my wheel base back a little but others say it just fits right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googledit View Post
You have a cool build with a lot of upgrades.
I like the rear shock relocation mounts, I know you commented on it but how much better do you think it is, I'm thinking about getting one. However. I have the r2j kustoms 4 link truss tin the back, I'd most likely just have to use longer screws.
Thanks
Thanks. I find that it tends to have more flex to it in the rear now at the same time it keeps the front planted better. With that is also makes it easier to mount the Trailfinder body as the box does not fit well with the shock mounts. As for the 4 link ya you would just mount it in between and use longer screws. I am running 4 link on mine just using the stock Axial kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.slowduo View Post
I like the cms with parts that came on the truck already, good idea!
Thank you. I personally like using what I have then buying a kit the pretty much does the same thing.

Last edited by cazper51; 03-29-2013 at 03:34 PM.

First SCX10 Build. How far will it go? Lots of pics! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simplechamp's first SCX10 Honcho build (Lots of pics!) simplechamp Axial SCX-10 39 04-07-2012 12:19 AM
My 10-Zero comp build....... Lots O Pics..... TONKA TOY Axial AX-10 Scorpion 22 09-09-2008 07:15 PM
WK Tuber build - (yes... another one) lots 'o pics jbrandt HPI Wheely King 13 04-12-2008 02:10 PM
SW3 build - lots of pics jimbiss Tamiya TLT Crawlers 43 10-20-2007 06:00 PM
my build** lots of pics** firesprink281 HPI Wheely King 19 09-01-2007 03:08 PM