Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to scale rigs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Default New to scale rigs

I am planning my first scale build. I am not new to the RC hobby, i race shortcourse trucks at local club races for about 2 yrs now .I plan on getting the SCX10 Dingo kit. I have looked over the site for a couple of weeks to try and decide what type of motor to use. Brushed or brushless. I run brushless in my SC truck. I have noticed a lot of guys on the site are using brushed motors. I would like to have a few opinions on the subject before I decide. I have not had good luck with brushed motors in a SC truck. I have burned several up. Just wondering how well they hold up in the scale rigs.
Rcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I know there are people that know more then me but I have had 2'scx10 and kept the stock brushed motor in there and had the 1st one completely underwater, but there are pros and cons to each of them. And it all depands how fast you want it and how you're gonna drive it
Poe
notmanywords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to scale rigs

Welcome to the world of crawling
I personally think that BRUSHED motors are better in scalers/crawlers.
My buddy put brushless motors in his scx10 and wraith, and had some cogging issues. Brushed motors are easy, just solder 'em up and slap 'em in (That's what I did anyways).

If you want good wheel speed and a fair amount of torque, then a 27t is probably a good choice.
If you're going to run bigger tires, then I would use a 35t for more torque.

Good luck and have fun!
téosrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have ran both brushed and brushless in my SCX's as well as wraith - sold the brushless setup, and am sticking with brushed for these. I was honestly surprised at that outcome, in flying and other rc car setups, brushless was always best - but for these, you are very hard pressed to match what a good brushed setup will give you without spending a fairly large sum and going to a $300 brushless setup (rough number). I would highly recommend Holmes Hobbies brushed - amazing motors for the money!
My 2c tossed in at any rate!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Holmes Hobbies all the way, I just replaced my stock 27T with a H.H Torquemaster 35T and I'm really happy with it
Dr.Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you are wanted to do crawling then I would go with a brushed motor.
You can get the HH Torque Master / BRXL combo. If you can afford it I would go with the Torque Master Pro otherwise the Torquemaster Expert is still a good choice and a little bit less expensive. Getting the waterproof BRXL is a little bit of extra insurance in case you it wet.

Expert Holmes Hobbies LLC
Pro Holmes Hobbies LLC
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

After trying a few quality brushed motors I settled on used 14t puller's running 6s in both my rigs, C2 and C3.
I was looking for smooth low end control with enough wheel speed to launch an 8lb rig.
until...
I picked up a Tekin Pro4.
Now I run a 3300 in my C2 with Axial trans
and a 4000 in my C3 with Summit trans

I'm keeping my 14t Pullers as backup because, imho, no brushed motor can match them.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 03-06-2013 at 10:16 PM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
After trying a few quality brushed motors I settled on used 14t puller's running 6s in both my rigs, C2 and C3.
until...
I picked up a Tekin Pro4.
Now I run a 3300 in my C2 with Axial trans
and a 4000 in my C3 with Summit trans

I'm keeping my 14t Pullers as backup because, imho, no brushed motor can match them.
Yeah - but $200 for the RX8 you would want along with the $150 pro4 - vs. $69 for a great Holmes that runs with any cheap $25 AE-2 you can pick up here? It may be better, I can't say as I don't have $350 to try out for a motor - but for $95 you can have something that is truly amazing - it's a no contest IMHO.

But maybe it's really a matter of budget vs. all out purely the best? I always live in the land of budget/bang for the buck, so my views are probably not 100% empirical on this.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
Scale Detail Engineering

I traded a set of built by quality used parts axles for the motor and picked up the used mmp for 65.
where there's a will, there's a way.

what I'm really saying is the HH 14t Puller is the best brushed motor out there.
I'm guessing:
used HH 14t Puller = $65-$85
used HH waterproof BR-XL = $75
new 2x 1300mah 3s = $25
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

my HH 14t Puller on 6s
vs
Badhoopty's Pro4 3300 on 3s

I'm now running a Pro4 in this rig.
Holmes 14t Puller vs Tekin Pro4 - YouTube
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Very cool rigs btw!
I really tried to like the brushless I had - and as you say, where there's a will there is indeed a way - I have to test that every day it seems ;). I guess it just seems to me so far, that for a quality brushless sensor setup, vs. a brushed setup, the brushless costs more and isn't as "analog" at very low throttle. It may seem like a dumb thing, but even the sound the brushless makes at very low throttle while crawling something fun is .. off to me.
Based upon your input, I will probably try brushless again at some point -
my gripes for brushless is currently:
Low end not as smooth
Drag brake requires more voltage/amperage while static - brushed can essentially just shunt to ground for a decent brake, and apply current for more - brushless requires current for anything brake- net run time is lower
Bizarre sounds at low end (compared to brushed)
What I love about brushed:
Life - lasts longer, no frictile contact of brushes
More efficient (outside of braking)

At any rate, thanks for the discussion johnnyh66 - and hopefully some of this helps you OP!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmanywords View Post
I know there are people that know more then me but I have had 2'scx10 and kept the stock brushed motor in there and had the 1st one completely underwater, but there are pros and cons to each of them. And it all depands how fast you want it and how you're gonna drive it
Poe
I think the water factor can be big here. From what I have read (and a big part of why I did not buy a brushless), brushless motors do not like water at all. Some people break in their brushed motors under water which says a lot. If you plan on driving anywhere near water, think about brushed.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #13

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the brushed system is the way to go. I plan on using it for crawling as I have the SC truck if I need something fast. I may try either the Holmes Hobby motor or one of the crawler motors from Tekin.
Rcdr is offline   Reply With Quote

New to scale rigs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small scale sub forum for smaller than 1/18 scale rigs AJf Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 07-14-2007 05:25 PM
my 2.2 scale rigs Craig cw 2.2 Scale Rigs 7 03-31-2007 06:55 PM
most scale rigs Why Be Low Newbie General 10 06-27-2006 07:33 AM