Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New JK kit build for a complete newbie, HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New JK kit build for a complete newbie, HELP!!

Hi all.

Well I thought reading this forum may have given me a good steer on my new Scale build but it has only served to confused me more.

I have ordered a Axial JK kit along with a Tekin FX-R 35t brushed combo which I will be receiving at the end of the week. A mate is bringing this back with him from the US. I decided I would purchase the battery, servo etc here in the UK.

As a complete novice to scale electric models I have spent some time on here trying to understand the RC world of the electric side of things. I come from a 1/8 & 1/5 scale nitro and gas powered cars so this is all new.

So here are my thoughts and questions.

Option 1

1) Battery: Lipo 2S ???? mah

2) Use the bec in the ESC thus no external bec.

3) Servo Hitec HS-7954SH 7.4v ( I assume the built in bec will step this down to 6V? Do I really need a servo of this quality, power or is there one at half the price that will do the same job and last as long?

4) This route is by far the cheapest

Option 2

1) Battery: Lipo 3S ???? mah

2) Buy as CC external Bec with USB link to adjust output voltage for servo to 7.4V or 6v if a cheaper one is bought. I assume the bec in the FX-R ESC will fry if used with a 3S lipo???

3) Servo Hitec HS-7954SH 7.4v Do I really need a servo of this quality & power or is there one at half the price that will do the same job and last just as long?

4) This route will cost more is all areas to get up and running.

I am no issues of going the 3s route but my uneducated question is, if as a newbie it is all needed or am I just going overboard. I can kind of see the need for the extra power in a proper comp crawler but this JK kit is not that right, and as such will I have the same demands from my electronics to justify the extra outlay on a 3s setup?

Thank you all in advance for your comments.
gtione is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Moderator Rule Breaker

Default Re: New JK kit build for a complete newbie, HELP!!

I would go with option 2.

1. 2200mah 3s packs will do.. I would go with highest C rate you can.

2. Your correct you will need CC bec and programmer You could with happy medium set the bec at 7v.

3.I would go with servo Hitec HS-7954SH. It will cost you in long run if you get cheaper servo's. If you want little cheaper servo that still 300oz servo imo you need is Hobbico CS-170 servo.

4. I would recommended getting Tekin's hotwire for fxr if you don't already own one. Makes it much easier and open options for programming the fxr with hotwire.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

As mentioned above, eric pointed you in the right direction. 2S is cheaper and is more suitable if you plan on trail riding and crawling. have fun, cant wait to see the rig in action!
flascx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I would go with option 2.

1. 2200mah 3s packs will do.. I would go with highest C rate you can.

2. Your correct you will need CC bec and programmer You could with happy medium set the bec at 7v.

3.I would go with servo Hitec HS-7954SH. It will cost you in long run if you get cheaper servo's. If you want little cheaper servo that still 300oz servo imo you need is Hobbico CS-170 servo.

4. I would recommended getting Tekin's hotwire for fxr if you don't already own one. Makes it much easier and open options for programming the fxr with hotwire.

Eric thanks for your reply.

1) the higher C rating is only important for faster charge times right?

2) Agree on the servo. I have a HPI Baja 5b that weights 30lbs and I can understand the need for quality servos there due to the weights and speed. I just struggle to understand why a little 1/10 scaler needs all this power that everyone goes on about?

3) does the CC usb programmer not do any of the things that the Tekin programmer does, i.e am I not doubling up on the same thing?

Thanks again..
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flascx10 View Post
As mentioned above, eric pointed you in the right direction. 2S is cheaper and is more suitable if you plan on trail riding and crawling. have fun, cant wait to see the rig in action!
Thank you for your reply.

So if the 2s set up is better for trail riding and crawling then what is the 3s set up better for?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtione View Post
Eric thanks for your reply.

1) the higher C rating is only important for faster charge times right?

2) Agree on the servo. I have a HPI Baja 5b that weights 30lbs and I can understand the need for quality servos there due to the weights and speed. I just struggle to understand why a little 1/10 scaler needs all this power that everyone goes on about?

3) does the CC usb programmer not do any of the things that the Tekin programmer does, i.e am I not doubling up on the same thing?

Thanks again..
1. Think of it this way for crawlers, you get truck bound up and have to run a winch,steering,throttle all the same time, that taxing and alot to ask for battery.

2. when you have semi heavy rig with weighted wheels, get your wheels bound up or truck wedged, It frustrating when your servo doesn't have the power to work it way out.

3. No, you will not be doubling up on same thing.

You can use 2s. 3s lipos offer more wheelspeed and power.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

You can always go with the 2S for now and gain some experience. Once you feel more comfortable with all the electronics, you can still buy the BEC and 3S.
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddamonk View Post
You can always go with the 2S for now and gain some experience. Once you feel more comfortable with all the electronics, you can still buy the BEC and 3S.
This is what I was thinking. I just don't want to waste cash on a 2s if the 3s is what I need. I suppose the battery's don't cost to much anyways. Thx
Old 03-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

rc4wd has a nice high torque water proof servo, that i started using no prob in 2 rigs they are 59.99.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumaro View Post
rc4wd has a nice high torque water proof servo, that i started using no prob in 2 rigs they are 59.99.
Yeah,i m running the same with no problems so far...
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddamonk View Post
Yeah,i m running the same with no problems so far...
So I stuck with my first choice on the servo and have decided to stick with the 2S set up for now until decide what I wanna do.

Thx to all for their feedback.

New JK kit build for a complete newbie, HELP!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMPLETE newbie Passenger0 Newbie General 12 01-19-2011 01:47 PM
Best complete kit *newb* kodyharrell Newbie General 10 01-18-2010 01:11 AM
The most complete kit 4 TLT? Fobby Newbie General 4 01-22-2008 09:48 PM
Complete Stock Clod Axle Kit $59.99 Per Kit *RCP Crawlers* & Some Other Cool Stuff Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 0 05-22-2007 07:49 PM
17 Inch Complete Claw Kit (50/50) seth0941 Newbie General 2 01-05-2007 12:22 PM