Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Vp high steer knuckles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vp high steer knuckles

First off I'd like to say I've searched over and over on the search bar here and googled this question with no outcome so far, so here we go with the question, I got a newbright jeep jk with VP high steer knuckles and c-hubs and it came with 1.9 pit bulls and I got 1.7 iroks and the 4.19" Baja claws both on axial 1.9 8 hole rims to run class 1, and I ran the Baja claws for like 10 minutes and the Baja claws got so much wear on them on the inside of the tire next to the knuckle I don't want to keep running them because it will rub though, it already has the traxxas grey hex's on it, what does everyone do about the tire rubbing? It doesn't rub on the knuckle, just the rod ends the are connected to the knuckle because the knuckle is spaced so high and wide, I'd like to see some pictures and ideas. Thanks!
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vp high steer knuckles

You could get a pair of vanquish wheels. They have adjustable off set spacers.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Rc4wd has the 1.9 hitman wheels and you can buy off set hubs
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the responses, I guess I was just looking for a free or cheap way of doing this...anyone else?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sell/trade them for Axial c-hubs and high clearance knuckles.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Sell/trade them for Axial c-hubs and high clearance knuckles.
What's the difference between them?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

I'm running vanquish with 1.9 pitbulls stretched on axial 2.2 8 holes mine are not rubbing can you post a pic to show what is rubbing.

ccbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid93 View Post
What's the difference between them?
Well, for one you won't have any clearance issues with them rubbing your tires. Other than that you'll want to do some research on caster. The 8* parts act similarly to having your axle clocked way back (positive caster) which "flops" your tires over when turning as apposed to remaining straight up and down.

This is all based on my understanding of the parts, as I don't have direct experience with them, so I'll admit this information should be fact checked.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 03-30-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Putting a little bit wider wheel hex on there will be your easiest and cheapest option at this point. Yes you can swap to axial parts but this will require your time to buy and swap parts, $30-50 in new knuckles/chubs (depending on which VPs you have now) and possibly some new bearings since you'll most likely not be able to get them out of the aluminum knuckles cleanly.

Another thing besides posting a pic of your specific issue, might be to mount the steering link underneath the arm (assuming its on top now) so it's tucked in closer and less likely to rub
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

WOW!!!!! I'm NOT the only one! XJ, check out my vid on youtube that explains what I had to do to make this all work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmZ2_UUhsE

When I finally got a hold of Vanquish, they basically thought I was crazy, which if you check the verbiage on the Stage One kit now, they changed it. I'm running the Vanquish Stage 1 with RC4WD DC seven wheels and Pitbull 1.9 tires. I think I spent an additional $3 in hexes and $22 for the Ti Steering linkage to make it all work.
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have the widest traxxas hex's, i have axial 1.9 wheels, and iroks, and baja claws. And all those things are connected to my vanquish high steer knuckes and vanquish c-hubs, i just dont know what to do besides buy new wheels and i think i found some gearhead wheels i just dont know if they will work can anyone let me know? if not what wheels might work?

Heres the link of the wheels i am thinking about getting Gear Head RC 1.9" Sixer Beadlock Wheels (4)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Do you want new wheels or do you want the cheapest fix? You can take the wide hexs off and throw some 12mm wheel wideners on which are something like $25. The free (minus shipping charges) fix is trading for axial parts like I mentioned above. A new set of wheels is probably the most expensive fix, but we are always looking for reasons to get new wheels.

The wideners should give you a stance that looks right at home on the Newbright JK body if you are considering them since it's a little bigger than the Axial JK.

Here's how the width looks on the Axial JK with 1.9 Baja Claws:
Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

that jk is sick! love the mean stance it has, id do wideners but its a class one jk or else id keep my pit bulls and mayhems on it. and im a VP junkie or else id get rid of them for axial stuff.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just used a set of Maxxis 1.9's and the stock SCX10 hexes and the offsets are perfect....it looks stck as soon as i post some pictures on WC I will put a link.....hope this helps.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Here's my SCX10 with the above VP fixes for the High steer stage one kit:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
RichMTB01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

VP products are second to none but this whole 8degree setup falls short. Wide traxxas hexes are not a real fix. I ended up using different wheels and they work great. Extra steering is a major bonus. If I did a little research I would have bought the axial ones so the wheel choices would have been what ever I wanted. I didn't really want to widen my track but that is what you essentially have to do to run this set up.
R/CMARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMTB01 View Post
WOW!!!!! I'm NOT the only one! XJ, check out my vid on youtube that explains what I had to do to make this all work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKmZ2_UUhsE

When I finally got a hold of Vanquish, they basically thought I was crazy, which if you check the verbiage on the Stage One kit now, they changed it. I'm running the Vanquish Stage 1 with RC4WD DC seven wheels and Pitbull 1.9 tires. I think I spent an additional $3 in hexes and $22 for the Ti Steering linkage to make it all work.
Just watched your video, the washer might help a tiny bit, but I think I'll just have to buy a new set of wheels sadly enough, pretty irritated but I'm not changing anything on the jeep ill just get new wheels
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMTB01 View Post
Here's my SCX10 with the above VP fixes for the High steer stage one kit:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
That's prolly the sweetest looking honcho I've seen in a while, love the wheel n tire combo, imma try the washer
Old 03-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Decreasing the hex engagement is not the greatest idea so I would say a washer should be a last resort type of thing (maybe that's where you're at, lol).
Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Decreasing the hex engagement is not the greatest idea so I would say a washer should be a last resort type of thing (maybe that's where you're at, lol).
I'm right there at the edge lol. And yea I don't wanna space anymore than what I have because I'm starting to lose too much thread on my axle shafts

Vp high steer knuckles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High steer knuckles zjguy721 General Crawlers 0 10-28-2010 04:46 PM
Will Vanquish Axial High Steer Steering Knuckles make my truck steer tighter? blue bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-09-2009 12:30 AM