Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JK kit worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JK kit worth it?

I have always maintained the idea that building is better than RTR...but I see a lot of you guys (who are normally "kit buyers") going with the stock rubicon and then swapping parts out. I have my own thoughts on this but am torn for the first time on whether this axial is actually worth the difference to buy the kit.

Thoughts? Why did you die hard builders go RTR and then tear them down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fiveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: JK kit worth it?

The kit comes with better shocks and aluminum links, most of us bought the rtr because the kit was not avail yet.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I bought my Wraith RTR and always said I should have bought the kit. I am about 90% finished (if that's possible) with my new Rubicon kit. Looking at the extras that came with the kit vrs a RTR, I now wish I had bought the RTR. I've already replaced the wheels with bead locks and will replace a few other kit parts. Now, I do enjoy being able to assemble it my way, choosing my own paint color, installing the electronics that I want, and knowing that it was all done right the first time. However, for the $50.00 difference in price and knowing I usually replace RTR parts anyway, I'm not so sure this time. And I know for sure if I was new (which I'm not) to this hobby, I would definitely buy the RTR.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the feedback Blumaro and raceeng18! I am still very much on the fence and want to make this decision overnight if possible Hopefully, I will run down to my LHS tomorrow for the truck and whatever else I can grab, then the rest will be ordered either tonight or tomorrow. These comments are great, but I would love about 2-3 more people to weigh in so I can get a good comparison from all of you "pros" out there
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'd buy the kit if i were looking into one. Because of being able to paint it is the only reason why lol. Aluminum links are great too i guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I honestly believe that us kit buyers are ripped off. Are we really supposed to believe that the transmitter, receiver, servo, speed control AND assembly are only worth $50? Puhlease...if you were to buy the electronics alone that come in the RTR they would cost closer to $200. $200 + $330 = $530 for a kit built with new RTR electronics. Okay, subtract $60 or whatever it is for the aluminum links, that's still $470. Essentially we are paying an extra $100 to build the thing ourselves which doesn't make any friggin sense. My math tells me if kit buyers got the same type of pricing as RTR buyers that we should be paying closer to $240 for the kit. It's a shame that builders pay a premium to do all the work themselves. Also, by having such a narrow price difference between the 2 basically stiffs the RTR buyers who want to sell off the electronics by greatly reducing their worth in the 2nd hand market.

If you are just looking for the better deal then buy the RTR. If you love building but still have to go with the better deal, then buy the RTR and tear it down and build it, (the body is a PITA anyways, lol). My opinion is that if you have to ask to make your mind up, just go with the RTR because tinkerers/builders know without a doubt that we are going with the kit.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 03-31-2013 at 11:34 AM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
I honestly believe that us kit buyers are ripped off. Are we really supposed to believe that the transmitter, receiver, servo, speed control AND assembly are only worth $50? Puhlease...if you were to buy the electronics alone that come in the RTR they would cost closer to $200. $200 + $330 = $530 for a kit built with new RTR electronics. Okay, subtract $60 or whatever it is for the aluminum links, that's still $470. Essentially we are paying an extra $100 to build the thing ourselves which doesn't make any friggin sense. My math tells me if kit buyers got the same type of pricing as RTR buyers that we should be paying closer to $240 for the kit. It's a shame that builders pay a premium to do all the work themselves. Also, by having such a narrow price difference between the 2 basically stiffs the RTR buyers who want to sell off the electronics by greatly reducing their worth in the 2nd hand market.

If you are just looking for the better deal then buy the RTR. If you love building but still have to go with the better deal, then buy the RTR and tear it down and build it, (the body is a PITA anyways, lol). My opinion is that if you have to ask to make your mind up, just go with the RTR because tinkerers/builders know without a doubt that we are going with the kit.
Couldn't agree more. I built my Honcho and said I would not do it again, my wife was ready to beat my arse since I spent the whole christmas vacation at my parents house sitting at a folding 6ft table with 5000 pieces everywhere. BUT (and a big one) I find myself wanting to do it all over since I learned so much about the geometry, could paint it "my way" instead of gray and I have no need for some of the parts like the radio, crappy plastic links, etc. You make some great points, and I think you are correct that I should just buy the RTR and be done, but I can't help but feel like I am cutting myself a little short. Always been the kind of person that wants what I want and will pay for it if I can justify it to myself.

Sorry everyone for blabbing on, just analyzing this to death and talking out loud. The thoughts and feedback are appreciated....I have only been in this sport for a few years and still find myself troubled with what direction to take in certain situations.

Keep em coming, maybe I will figure something out in the next few hours
Old 03-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
my wife was ready to beat my arse since I spent the whole christmas vacation at my parents house sitting at a folding 6ft table with 5000 pieces everywhere. BUT (and a big one) I find myself wanting to do it all over
and
Quote:
You make some great points, and I think you are correct that I should just buy the RTR and be done, but I can't help but feel like I am cutting myself a little short.
You my friend sound like closet kit builder. Come out of there and buy the kit.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I agree with what others say about price. The kit probably has some big margins for axial.

But I like to build and tinker almost as much as running, I have to be honest so i got the kit. I am a tamiya re-tread from the 80's so it was good to learn the new axial kits inside and out. It's your hobby so you have to do what suits ya. It's easy to justify the RTR for this kit.

The body is a very week link. The base body and cage a OK, but the windshield and hard top pieces are a waste of time. If there was an aftermarket hard body for the JK I would be all over it.
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I have always maintained the idea that building is better than RTR...but I see a lot of you guys (who are normally "kit buyers") going with the stock rubicon and then swapping parts out. I have my own thoughts on this but am torn for the first time on whether this axial is actually worth the difference to buy the kit.

Thoughts? Why did you die hard builders go RTR and then tear them down?

For me a good part of the fun is actually building the rig. You get to customize it and really make it yours. Also by building from the kit you learn how all of the parts go together and that makes it a lot easier to fix when it breaks.

If you can live with the stock electronics and don't like to build the kits then the RTR is the way to go, otherwise build the kit and have the fun of building your own.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I enjoyed the process of building the Honcho as it was satisfying and I learned a ton about the rig....my big problem with that one was patience. Of course, it was also my first real crawler as the only thing I owned before that was a Summit so there was a lot of learning that took place while I made the mistakes in assembly.

I wish we could consolidate the JK threads into one big area, as I did a ton of reading past and present and didn't really find all of the problems that you all are talking about with this body. I did read where the windshield was a hassle, but it sounds like there were other problems with it too. (besides the interior being fake as hell)

Can't say that I am any closer to a decision. Fronty is right that I am a "closet kit builder", but I also have to consider my time which is something I don't have a ton of these days between running a business and spending time with my family. Unlike some of you guys, my wife could care less about this hobby so my and the kid go and have fun with them when time permits but we stay on the go a lot.

Where is that magic 8 ball when you need one
Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

I have one rubicon kit built and getting ready to work on my second. I've never been into rtr stuff and have to say I enjoy the build almost more than the drive. As in previous posts, the kit has some nice things like body, top, unglued wheels etc... I don't know if the trepidors are a different compound but I hear its a pita to take em off.
My next build is going to be all out which includes curries, ti links, etc. get the kit, you won't be disappointed.
I now own 5 rigs and have to admit, I was pretty bumbed when I finished the jeep. I'm also new to the crawler thing but I've already learned so much about how things work and how each tweak makes the rigs handle differently.
I have a three year old daughter who tries to help me and like you, my wife doesn't care about the hobby either. I honestly can't wait until my girl is old enough to really get into it if that's what she wants. Seeing her turn a hex is half of my enjoyment.
I spent almost a month making my decision on rtr vs kit and haven't regretted the choice one bit.
I'd say maybe 40% of the rtr stuff will be stored in a box or unused so why not start with a blank slate?
Good luck on your choice and will look forward to seeing your rig regardless of choice.

wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'm not currently considering either right now, but if I was I would likely buy the dingo kit and a new bright JK. The dingo is about 250 and if you don't buy the first thing that pops up you can get a JK as low as 50 bucks....... easily. Personally the extra 75 bucks for a lexan version of that body with less detail just doesn't compute for me.

but if my choice was only rtr or kit I would take the rtr because 2.4ghz radio and a castle esc much higher value than the 50 buck difference between kit and rtr. JK kit buyers are getting a little bit hosed imo.
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I have owned 2 brand new wraith RTR because i thought that i would have to buy electronics, links, shocks, and tires n wheels anyways, but i never felt proud of owning one, so i bought a kit version and went all out on it, needless to say, i thought it was a waste of money for the kit because the only "extra" things i got were tires, and 4 aluminum links. But with this JK kit version i think its worth it because you get tires, shocks, links, and removable hardtop.
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

Weapon makes a good point. As an owner of a dingo and rubicon, I have to agree a little that the price is a little much. You are paying for the poison spider, icon shocks, and maxxis branding. With that being said, I'd still get any kit over the rtr any day.
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
crappy plastic links
What is wrong with plastic links? Besides they are stock and does not look so awesome. If you are satisfied with length they work fine (not in steering).

The problem with kit is price. If you are going to stay with upgrade parts like standard length alu links, 90mm shocks, miaxxis tires etc then go with it. If you are going to replace them anyway then you should make some calculations how much you will pay for joy of building from zero.

Last edited by nersik; 03-31-2013 at 09:59 PM.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Well, I pulled the trigger and decided to just buy the RTR. Not my preference but here is why

Time - I have very little of it and can't imagine trying to fit in a full build with everything else going on. Plus we are renting our house out for furniture market and I wouldn't get but about 3/4 way complete before having to pack it all up and put it away.

Cost - I love Axial, but tend to agree that those who like to go with the kit are getting a bit ripped off. I can buy the RTR, swap out the things I want and still come out cheaper in the long run than if I started this from scratch. Obviously depending on what you change.

Differences - I have read the hardtop and windshield are a PITA, and I have little patience to deal with that. The tires are glued, but I am likely to switch to Rok Lox on beads later anyhow. Regardless, I can make some of these changes to the kit version if I later choose to, but am not paying for an upgrade I either don't want or will just cause me headache.

Wife - Any of you that is married will understand this...but while she supports me after 12 years of marriage, she felt pretty strong about not seeing me get pissed, impatient and also using up our free time sitting at a workbench every night. Happy wife, happy life.

Plus....I can go and run it right now so the instant gratification requirement has also been met.

Thanks for all the feedback....I will post up more about it when it isn't just another gray jk.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

nothing wrong with plastic links IMO they will help to save other parts from breaking by flexing in bad situations, especially with a new driver.

also gratz on your purchase. enjoy!
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Fiveo, you did the right thing in my opinion. Enjoy it and change it at your leisure.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I went with a RTR JK. Mainly because I was also building 2 more crawlers for my kids and needed the electronics for their builds. I figured that I would have to pull it apart anyways I add aftermarket parts. I have always made my own links so no big loss there. The tires weren't very hard to take off. Just took about 2 hours using the boil method. "Wear heavy gloves" the rubber gets hot.
Just my 2 cents.
smokediver is offline   Reply With Quote

JK kit worth it? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New kit worth the wait? J.T. Axial SCX-10 3 11-02-2011 04:45 AM
NIB TLT Kit whats it worth? rocresq General Crawlers 2 02-18-2009 11:46 AM
Is the AX10 Kit worth it? ChrisO Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 12-26-2007 08:17 PM