Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to Scalers/Crawlers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Default New to Scalers/Crawlers.

Hey guys, i'm new to the wonderful world of scalers. I wanted to take a break from 8th scale buggy racing, and just take it easy. So for my first scaler, i decided to go with the SCX10 Dingo. It recently arrived, and i learned that i didn't really like the body format so i went ahead and bought a Proline Jeep Unlimited Body off Amain. (Should have just bought the Axial JK ). Is there anything i need to do to make this body fit? From researching, i learned that the SCX10 Honcho and Dingo have different wheelbases so i'm kinda confused. Also, i'm going to be running a Traxxas XL5 ESC along with an Axial 55T Motor and a TRX 2075 Servo. Will that motor be good enough for just regular trailing? Thanks guys, more questions to come as the thread progresses.
I wheelie a lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

Default Re: New to Scalers/Crawlers.

If you want to run the proline unlimited on the dingo kit you will have to get or make longer links as the wheel base is based off the honcho/jk. The proline 2 door jeep body, or the cherokee are both same wheelbase as dingo if either of those interest you.
cruuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruuk View Post
If you want to run the proline unlimited on the dingo kit you will have to get or make longer links as the wheel base is based off the honcho/jk. The proline 2 door jeep body, or the cherokee are both same wheelbase as dingo if either of those interest you.
Ah ok! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Also, where can I get longer axles for the Dingo? I want my tires to pop out a bit
Old 06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

With the traxxas esc you will have no drag brake. Not too good for crawling. You may want to watch for a esc from a wraith (ae-2) brushed only but 3s worthy and inespensive. They are actually made by castle. I have had good luck with them.
Bronco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Bobby View Post
With the traxxas esc you will have no drag brake. Not too good for crawling. You may want to watch for a esc from a wraith (ae-2) brushed only but 3s worthy and inespensive. They are actually made by castle. I have had good luck with them.
Thanks for the tip! I'll stay with the TRX for a while until i get the hang of scaling, and i'll switch over to the AE-2. Is it necessary to give the brushed motor a proper break in or can i just run it?

Also, if i wanted longer links for the Jeep Body, how much would i need? I'm thinking of just making some since the Axial ones are pretty expensive.Thanks.

Last edited by I wheelie a lot; 06-03-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Do a search on making you own links and pick one from the numerous threads on the topic.

The Axial Link set instructions will give you the length of the stock links.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...cx10-links.pdf

I would experiment and find the best length for you body. You can improve the drive shaft angles by lengthening the upper links.

An alternative to the Axial link set if you don't want to build your own is the links from R2J.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...-scx-10-a.html
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I turned my drag brake off. Much better with a little free wheeling when trailing. There is enough friction with the gearing diffs for it not to be a issue when crawling. The bonus with your intended setup is that it is all waterproof.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Do a search on making you own links and pick one from the numerous threads on the topic.

The Axial Link set instructions will give you the length of the stock links.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...cx10-links.pdf

I would experiment and find the best length for you body. You can improve the drive shaft angles by lengthening the upper links.

An alternative to the Axial link set if you don't want to build your own is the links from R2J.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/chass...-scx-10-a.html
Alright, if i were to just lengthen the wheelbase, would i need to change all 4 of the lower links or all of the links (upper/lower)?. Sorry for all of the noob questions.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I wheelie a lot View Post
Alright, if i were to just lengthen the wheelbase, would i need to change all 4 of the lower links or all of the links (upper/lower)?. Sorry for all of the noob questions.

you can just change the lowers if you want too but if you do make sure the keep the angle of the driveshafts the same angle as you dont want any binding issues.

just put the body and then decided what links to change i.e get the wheels wells to line up on the front and extend the rear or vice versa
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Scalers/Crawlers. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to crawlers and scalers Crazyloon13 Newbie General 6 02-28-2013 02:22 PM
To all crawlers and scalers mud_life_19 Florida 2 01-01-2012 06:07 PM
Seattle Scalers or Crawlers? Sneako Washington 5 02-25-2011 10:17 PM
Looking for scalers or crawlers yoda@4x4 Florida 1 01-07-2010 09:10 AM