Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Looking at getting a scx10 jeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking at getting a scx10 jeep

I am not new to the r/c world but have never owned a scale or crawler type r/c. I am looking at getting the scx10 jeep, what should I expect out of it? Is it a good beginner into the crawler world? Is it more of a trail truck then a Rock crawler? I honestly don't know what I should expect out of it, a little background on what I own vary from erevo brushless, slash 4x4 mt with castle 2400kv setups to every 1/16th they have some in triplets ( kids) , to a axial EXO with about every upgrade . Just looking for something different that I won't get bored with. All inputs are welcomed! Thanks

Last edited by thumperc25; 08-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
thumperc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Looking at getting a scx10 jeep

its more of a trail truck when there stock. will run great on 2s and 3s but be sure to use a bec for the 3s lipo. the bec is good to have though which im sure you already know? I would get a different servo as the stock axial one has a sloppy plastic bushing on the out put shaft. if your wanting more of a crawler for the rocks then maybe the ax-10 would be better? or if your wanting a medium speed crawler/trail type the wraith may even be a better choice? Im still fairly new to the scale stuff and I bought the scx 10 first. wow it was sure slow from what I was use to years ago, but I was still impressed with it. 3 weeks ago I bought the poison spyder wraith and wow this thing is a blast. ( the scx10 is now on the shelf all tore apart) I ran the wraith on 3s from day one and the motor didn't last long but I think if I were to do it again I would buy a wraith first and then the scx10. but think is just my 0.02
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

When the SCX10 platform came out years ago, i bought one and ran it box stock. I even ran a big 5200 mah lipo in the stock, rear location. It was able to run any trail i could find here in SoCal and also navigate some fairly tough rock obstacles. If you get a JK kit, i would recommed relocating the battery as low as possible and maybe adding some weight in the front axles or rims. If you want to get into pure rock crawling, then that's a whole other topic, but like i stated before, the SCX10 is a very capable rig. By the way, i am not heavy on the trottle and not a speed freak on the rocks.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Depends on what you are going for and the terrain. I bought my SCX10 for the Scale Look / light rock work. After 15 batteries i only added scale accessories while learning the vehicle. I was not happy on pack 16 when the 3 link screw pulled out. I was happy that i could do my first upgrades. DIY metal links all the way around, GH 4 link truss in the back and L3 in the front. I will run it that way until something else breaks or bugs me.

I will get a wraith a little later when i want to vent a smash the throttle but you can't go wrong with any of the 4 SCX10's
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I think I am looking more for a trail truck more then I am a full scale rock crawler, something to start and ween myself from speed! Lol I love the way the jeep looks, and one thing I am used to is upgrading parts! I have watched a few videos on the scx10 and it seems capable of the terrain I plan to use it in. I had a buddy back home that stuck a brushless system in his and it was pretty quick for the first four feet, after that not so much do to his gearing. It was pretty cool
Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Scx10 there a blast good trail rig for sure if you buy the kit you get the metal links to begin with
ironheadtmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Great, I will have to compare them both and see which is best to start out with
Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

i just built my jk and its a blast i put a tekin fxr 35t hd combo ...love it
dodgeboy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Great to hear! I'm looking forward in getting one
Old 07-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ok I'm going to pull the trigger in the rubicon kit version. I already have a velenion setup and a ae-3 with a 2900 kv motor to throw in it but I think I will just use the ae3 and a brushed motor to start. Any one recommend a brushed motor? Also I have a cheap exi servo I am going to throw in it , servo recommendations? What am I looking for in a servo for this? I already have a rx/ tx , what else should I get right a way? What metal gears should I get to have it ready for brushless? What else do I need? Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just ordered my 3rd kit version and I also ordered the tekin fxr and 35t pro setup... I run the same thing in my other scx10s and I think you can't beat it for the price! Plenty of wheel speed and torque! Your going to have a blast with it!
509hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Interesting I will have to research than one , I looked up the motor and looks like its the same price as a entry level sensored motor, which would be better?
Old 07-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Beside being hand wound , what it the difference between the tekin 35t hd and pro version? Im leaning on the hd version. Will it work with the ae3 speedo? I found the hot racing transmission gears, is there anything in the axles I should change out ? It the savox water proof worth it or should I just get the traxxas 2075? Thanks all I hope to get his order in the next couple days
Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperc25 View Post
Beside being hand wound , what it the difference between the tekin 35t hd and pro version? Im leaning on the hd version. Will it work with the ae3 speedo? I found the hot racing transmission gears, is there anything in the axles I should change out ? It the savox water proof worth it or should I just get the traxxas 2075? Thanks all I hope to get his order in the next couple days
The difference it that it's handwound and all the perks that come with that. as for the water proof.. if you're thinking of running in water then you should probably go with a waterproof servo, esc and brushed motor. (or plan on waterproofing the esc lots of stuff on how to do that around, ). If not then it doesnt matter and you could use brushless sensored motor if you like them better. As for the axles.. if you get into the guessing what you should change game you will end up buying a whole new undercarriage. I suggest you replace as they break. You could replace the transmission gears with metal, get upgraded gears for the axles, Mip driveshaftes, get beef tubes for the axels, upgrade the steering.. etc, etc, etc. pretty much endless
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Lol I hear that ! I will water proof the ae3 , I'm in the air with either the savox water proof servo or the hitec 5646wp. So I will get the tranny metal gears the tekin 35t hd motor and most likely the hitec. Can you enlighten we on the perks of a hand wand motor, is it that much better?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I just got an scx 10 honcho RTR. and straight out of the box they are a blast and durable. Then started upgrading Lower links all around and switched it to a 4 link up front. Threw on a new set of tires and upgraded the knuckles and C hubs and such. make sure though if you run it a lot to go through and nut and bolt everything. if you find anything loose hit it with some lock tight. But all upgrading aside they are a blast even in RTR form they have some weak spots but hey got to keep the cost down. and you will be amazed at the rocks this "trail truck" can handle I was.
RyanRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

You won't regret an scx10. Mine started as a rtr and now has many mods including a set of wraith axles that should be here thursday. They are so custimizable, very addicting.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I can't wait , I already know im getting the omf wheels, how are the currie axles ? They are pricey but man do they look good ! I know I am going to try the tekin 35t hd motor , use the cheap servo I already have to it craps out then get the hs 5646wp servo.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperc25 View Post
Lol I hear that ! I will water proof the ae3 , I'm in the air with either the savox water proof servo or the hitec 5646wp. So I will get the tranny metal gears the tekin 35t hd motor and most likely the hitec. Can you enlighten we on the perks of a hand wand motor, is it that much better?

Hand wound should be smoother, better rpm, and more torque (if you do a few searches there are plenty of opinions and comparisons floating around) . If you're out on a friendly sunday drive with your rig, probably not worth the difference IMHO. If you're in a tight competition might make the difference.

Since your still looking at motors and speed controllers.. I might suggest that you look into Holmes Hobbies offerings as well. Sometimes a bit hard to get ahold of, but top notch.

Last edited by rcwolf; 07-16-2013 at 11:25 PM.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I did look into that one , and all places where sold out, I also found I think was trinity motors I have not heard much of them ad their a bit pricey but are made in my home state florida.

Looking at getting a scx10 jeep - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a SCX10 Jeep,What to do first? ProfitOfDoom Axial SCX-10 22 07-17-2013 04:37 PM
SCX10 Based Jeep JK & Jeep Comanche FattyMcJ Scale Videos! 0 03-17-2013 03:59 PM
my scx10 jeep jk sandrocks Axial SCX-10 0 04-04-2011 08:37 PM