Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Project Gertrude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Gertrude

We'll like it says this is Gertrude. I had build a 1:1 jeep and named it Gertrude also have a cat named that.. Anyways it's not new anymore.

First day of having it the addiction started..

Didn't take long to start ordering goodies.
Level3 rc CMS with panhard bar
Custom alum 4 link suspension
Alum steering links

Ended up making my own wheel wells to jeep the dirt out and such..

Fast forward I had ordered wheel wideners, didn't like them when I ran a comp there were causing to many problems so I took them off before the comp. Took the CMS mount off was slipping and moving to much for my liking and ended up getting traxxas links for the shorter steering arm.

Got tired of just the jeep body lol decided to make a chrome dingo (Chroncho)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Next step was 2.2s the comp was too much for the puny 1.9s. I was flipping over to much and getting stuck in crevasses. I had 4.0gm of weights in each front wheel but that wast enough.

Got 2.2s on a trade

I have the battery mounted in back. Had to add weight to the front, ran to radio shack and got an electronics box and stuffed it with the heaviest metal pieces I could. Made a mount for it and presto it will climb up the side on a wall almost 80* before it will start to flip. Didn't flex like I wanted it to so I added 110mm shocks to the front and this is it's current stage!

Homemade tow straps and savox waterproof servo added too. Please leave some feedback and questions are always welcome! More to come soon!

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

No input at all?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project Gertrude

looks good
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! Does anyone on here have or have had the problem of running 2.2s on stock esc and motor? I haven't yet but I want to know just incase ill keep a spare in my parts bag.. I have marine greased the axles and bearings just incase they would ever freeze up or rust...

Old 10-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrisch01 View Post
No input at all?

Lol..don't feel bad..i did a whole upgrade series and got maybe 2 responses..It happens.lol...Looks good though
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Haha I'm just trying to get people to talk. Thank you sir.
Here's a picture of it in action at my gfs little brothers track.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

We'll since no one talks lol...

Taking Gertrude to a comp this weekend that's why there's no new parts like everyone else buys buys buys then installs, I kinda like to test the stuff and change what needs to be changed accordingly. So I'm gonna test the setup at a lhs comp on Sunday.
While that sits on the shelf for a little bit, starting my sons ax10. Currently a roller with bent links and 4 wheel steer stock body. I will get 2 savox waterproof servos, make my own links and unsure of electronics as of now but we'll see. Here's it on my trailer, that's still not finished lol but it's rollin...

I still in search of wheel hexes, pins and nuts for the ax10 to mount the wheels hopefully pick some up this weekend when I have time.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I like the ax10 on the trailer. Will look cool being pulled by Gertrude. Good luck at the comp
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Picked this up free.. Chevy body I'm gonna use for the ax10. Thinking of choppin the top, making a windshield like a dingo and making a tube cage bed... Ideas...

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #11

The c10 body would look cool even w/o a bed. Saw one that looked sweet with the cab moved back to where it was centered on the ax10 frame. Sounds weird, but somehow it worked. Since it was chopped so much, it didn't look out of place. Looking forward to the updates. As far as the jeep, looks great. Wouldn't worry too much about the 2.2s on it. Maybe suggest a higher turn motor if you're running into problems. Are you still running the 27?
babristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I'm just on the idea of a tube buggy lol but I think I see how the truck will look chopped and tubed. And yeah I'm not having problems but I probably don't run mine as much as others. It's still the 27T

Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Heres a pic of the weight box I never got around to posting a pic.

And I know it's been done by just about everyone but dingo flares on Gertrude. Gonna mount highlift on hood and I guess get a roof rack to mount other accessories.. Enjoy

And they don't rub at all!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Did a little work since the comp got cancelled decided to buy u joint axle shafts to improve the steering, along with a winch and rc4wd radio and transmitter (axial didn't wanna replace my bad stock one, oh well) it was cheap, and has 3 channels!
Now with the wiring...

What a mess, my attempt to tidy it up...

And the radio and body on pic, painted the plastic trim around the windows and cowl..

Gonna try and get around to painting the beadlock ring this week, color matched to the body. And now to program the esc! That's it for now. Comments welcome and advise will be taken!!! Anyone use this radio/rec combo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I cannot get the esc to give me throttle at all I have steering CAN SOMEONE HELP ME??!!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
RCC Addict

make sure all connections are good especially the motor....Turn the spur gear to make sure something isn't stuck....maybe try rebinding the radio/receiver...If none of that I don't know..ESC maybe took a crap on you.

EDIT:..This may sound dumb but make sure you have fresh batteries in your radio...Ive had mine go down so far the motor wouldn't respond but it would still steer.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Connectors are all good, it's not stuck and the esc programs right until I do reverse it just beep beep beep beep and doesn't ever do the completion sound.. I just can't figure it out hopefully the esc didn't crap out I just replaced the radio and rec because they crapped out

Old 11-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Update: got the rc4wd transmitter working. It was such a pain tried about a thousand times to get it to give me throttle. Got the winch wired up also. Got some of the parts in, universal joints and derlin beadlocks for the ax10. Got a plow coming 2.2s and some bumpers!

Got the beadlocks color matched too...

Here's the ax10

Both together can't wait the ax10 is running!!!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Off the topic of these too, for one no one even commented lol not that I care but here's another edition to the family...

Dingo kit just got it in the mail helping my gfs little brother build it....

Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Wow... Is all I can say building a kit takes so much time lol. But it's done! He wanted to go with the elec and tires from his losi night crawler for the build so here it is gave him a two tone paint job too, I'd have to admit it was fun and looks good also...

Project Gertrude - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Crawler "Gertrude" Fozzy Down Under Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 04-30-2006 07:08 PM
My TLT/SW2 "Gertrude" Build Fozzy Down Under Newbie General 3 04-13-2006 02:07 AM