Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Sold my posion spyder and clueless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Sold my posion spyder and clueless

I recently sold my poison spyder wraith. I think I went down the wrong path by not going kit. I have all the goodies to add to a kit. So now I am torn, I can order a new one and tower has some good deals. I am looking at the wraith kit ( I would love a basher/rock over beast) but I do not want to drop 800 dollars into one. I am also looking at the RTR Honcho since its a great price or the new g6 kit. What do you guys think? I am looking for something I can go reasonably fast in and still have the 4wd fun with terrain.
chefclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sold my posion spyder and clueless

If you want speed wraith all day long, you want realism I would say G6 kit.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Think the g6 can crawl and mudsling decently?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

As good as any other scx10. Watch some YouTube videos.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I loved my wraith but wow the rtr needs sooooo much money dumped into it
Old 11-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

What did you have in mind for powering the wraith???...You don't need as much as you think you do if you keep it conservative power wise.

If you want a brushless using a 3s or 4s battery then yea you will need to replace a lot of things..but that goes for any kit pretty much.

If you get a kit youll get some upgrades not on the rtr models..but its basic stuff..(aluminum lower links..aluminum shocks..yada yada.

But none of that is really that expensive to put on a rtr.

You from the mobile area near the track off schillinger road?
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I sure am! I am about 10 minutes away. I have narrowed it down to the wraith kit, hocho rtr and the new G6 kit. I would be running 2's on whatever I get. I am not into tearing my things up haha. I would like to find some trails,mud etc etc around the mobile area though
Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Cool. Im from mobile but moved to West Virginia not too long ago..Im still on the RC site though for mobile..I have the Honcho RTR and loving it so far..Havent had any problems at all with it be honest..Still use the stock ESC with it as well.

The Rubicon RTR is nice as well but youll want to move the battery to the front like the honcho is temporarily if you get one of those.

The G6 Kit looks pretty nice..a couple of builds are going on here already with them...Nice upgrades in the kit but unless you have electronics already its hard to beat the RTR models.

Someone from the track there is building a course and a few guys get together to run..Go to the tracks site and youll see who it is.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-22-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

You can save 76 dollars on the rtr honcho from tower right now. I am still torn on what to get.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

you can get most all the upgrades on the kit with the saving plus youre getting an ESC made by Castle Creations...Its rated at 2s but some claim to have run a 3s with no problems but 3s it to me will cause things to break and end up costing a fortune in upgrades..In my opinion a 2s is plenty of crawling power with a 27T/35T motor.

The stock RTR motor isn't really the best but the cheap sealed can motors are great for real dirty trailing.

The servo is powerful enough and has metal gears but they use bushings and not bearing in them...A simple bearing upgrade for 5 dollars from a traxxas 2075 servo rebuild kit and you have a decent servo.
Not waterproof but oh well...Funny the traxxas uses bearings but plastic gears and is waterproof...lol..Id bet if it had metal gears a lot more would sell.

Radio and receiver is 2.4..has decent adjustments but not like a better radio system.

Im very happy with mine with some smart upgrades and changes..I wouldn't change my decision for anything on the RTR....Got mine at amain for 349.00 plus shipping about 4 months ago.

Let me know what you get...If you need anything let me know.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
you can get most all the upgrades on the kit with the saving plus youre getting an ESC made by Castle Creations...Its rated at 2s but some claim to have run a 3s with no problems but 3s it to me will cause things to break and end up costing a fortune in upgrades..In my opinion a 2s is plenty of crawling power with a 27T/35T motor.

The stock RTR motor isn't really the best but the cheap sealed can motors are great for real dirty trailing.

The servo is powerful enough and has metal gears but they use bushings and not bearing in them...A simple bearing upgrade for 5 dollars from a traxxas 2075 servo rebuild kit and you have a decent servo.
Not waterproof but oh well...Funny the traxxas uses bearings but plastic gears and is waterproof...lol..Id bet if it had metal gears a lot more would sell.

Radio and receiver is 2.4..has decent adjustments but not like a better radio system.

Im very happy with mine with some smart upgrades and changes..I wouldn't change my decision for anything on the RTR....Got mine at amain for 349.00 plus shipping about 4 months ago.

Let me know what you get...If you need anything let me know.
Thanks man! I went with the honcho rtr for 269.00 I don't think you can get a better deal!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
RCC Addict

wow...that was a great deal....congrats

Talk to BUCKSHOT on the local track forum..hes trying to get people up for some trail running.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Heres a great start for you with some changes..

1.) Use a 2s lipo battery/deans connectors...Try to stay in the 25-30C range..A 4000mah will give you about an hour of run time just moving around slow with some blasts here and there.

2.) get hold of a 17T or maybe a 16T motor pinion...Makes a huge difference in control and torque for the stock motor.

Other than that just drive it and have fun..Learn the trucks pluses and weaknesses....a lot more you can do to improve performance but it will surprise you I think how it does pretty much stock...If you need some good very low cost upgrades or mods check out my Honcho mods thread...get with me on some of it though as it didnt really make a difference and was just a preference thing.

Its not waterproof so don't go nuts in the water with it...lol

Last edited by 6sharky9; 11-22-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Get a Summit.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

How did u get the honcho so cheap?
DonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieB View Post
I think he mentioned Tower Hobbies has them...Must be a huge sale.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I just looked it up and its 319 shipped now....still a good deal
Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieB View Post
Its 36 dollars off plus there is a 40 dollar tower coupon you use at checkout so its 40 extra off price. free shipping as well
Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Personally for me a wraith is a blast, but does take the challenge out of alot. Where as the scx10 can be a real challenge on the same run. Therefore scx might not be as easy , but when you make it up the hill or what have you, it can be extremely rewarding. Just my opinion though.
crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sold my posion spyder and clueless - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
posion spyder wraith hub gsrcivic Axial Wraith 5 09-01-2013 12:42 PM