Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: suggestions for good trail motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default suggestions for good trail motor

Hey guys I feel its time to upgrade my stock axial 27t motor so I'm looking for some suggestions. I want good wheel speed for some fun and when I need it for big hill climbs but also decent torque for some rock crawling occasionally. My speed controller is the castle sv2 I was thinking of getting a 35t from Holmes hobbies and getting 3s Lipo I hope this would give me more torque and wheel speed . I want to stick with brushed motors do to water and mud bogging. Can the motors from HH handle 3s or should I just get a HH 27 turn since I already have 2s , I heard there 27t motors are faster than stock , or should I do a axial 20t. I like my run time on my stock motor just 35t might be nice for longer run times but is it going to be quite a bit slower if run my 2s batteries.
Your suggestions would be helpful to here of proven setups you guys run also can you include part #'s
gkosterscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: suggestions for good trail motor

If you can find one an old Holmes hobbies 7t cobalt puller motor is perfect, I have had an axial 27t, a rc4wd 35t, a sensored 21.5t brushless lrp, and my 7t puller in my scx10 and the puller is by far the best, gobs of torque, great low speed control, but crazy wheel speed, it has more torque then the 35t And more tops speed then both the other motors, all tested on the same 2s pack.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Holmes hobbies sport motor,35t,volt up(3s),gear down. Not fast flat out but has great wheel speed for uphill climbs,plenty of axle snapping torque. About 45 min. On a 3s 2200mh 30c. Cheap,rebuildable,upgradeable.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Any quality 27T will be a significant amount more power and speed over the stock sealed can 27T.

As far as a 35T you would need a 3s to match the wheel speed you get with a good 27T on a 2s but you will have more torque.

Just keep a little funds off to the side for some possible upgrades if you go with a 3s as its enough power to break things in the drivetrain more easily if not careful.

Holmes Hobbies Torque master series is a good place to start for a motor in either 27T or 35T..Hard to beat the quality for $35.00
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

had great luck with Holmes hobbies sport motor 35t. good price. very smooth
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys for some advice I think I will go with the HH 27t torque master don't really need to be replacing drive line components because of 3s I've done some more research and I think the 27t will be a big improvement over the stock non rebuild able one. Plus $35 for a quality motor isn't so bad
gkosterscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Why not ask John Holmes himself? Lol he's a stand up guy for sure and will explain how you should gear depending on the voltage you plan on running and terrain plus weight of your rig RTR. I've always preferred Holmes motors as well heck I have 7 of them lol. My favorite is my Cobalt 10T that I run on 4s pushing my 11 pound KOH tuber buggy. That thing after so many 3-4 years of beach sand, river sand, mud, dirt, water still pulls wheelies!!

John does have his Trail Master line or something like that built especially for trailing and wet conditions. Some people also prefer going brushless these days for that ridiculous top end but that's more for Wraith rock racers.

Tires and foams are critical as well...good luck!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkosterscx10 View Post
Thanks guys for some advice I think I will go with the HH 27t torque master don't really need to be replacing drive line components because of 3s I've done some more research and I think the 27t will be a big improvement over the stock non rebuild able one. Plus $35 for a quality motor isn't so bad
Get yourself a 16T motor pinion and advance the timing to 6 degrees...This will give you good control with still a lot of wheel speed..The motor will come from Holmes set at zero degrees of timing.. if its something you don't know about ask them if they could set the timing for you at 6 degrees advanced.

If you decide you did want a 35T it will be considerably slower but have a lot more control and torque even on a 2s...Just buy a torque master 35T armature for 20 bucks from Holmes and replace the 27T armature...I think youll like the 27T over the stock motor though...A huge difference in speed and torque.

You can still break parts with a 2s so don't drive like Rambo youll be just fine..lol...Im in my 4th month with no breaking issues on 2s power and a good 27T

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-26-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

35t and 3s is THE standard crawler power combo. For good reason. Decent low speed resolution and wheelspeed.

I've been running a "good" (not silver can Johnson/Mabuchi) 27t on 3s in a Honcho for a couple years now with zero issues. Would not want to go any slower.

[and higher turn motors don't have more torque, they just will run slower , or better low speed resolution, giving the illusion of more torque. It's simply a characteristic of the motor. In other words, lower kV / higher turn motors have a slower minimum speed. Nothing to do with "more torque")

Last edited by Manning; 12-26-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: got my "lower" and "higher" mixed up, oops.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Sorry to thread jack, but i've been wanting a bit more wheel speed out of my rig (stock AE-2 and axial 27t motor with stock gearing on 2S)

But seems like going 3S with the torquemaster sport 35t will be my next purchase.

I'm with the OP, I prefer trails to rocks but i still want to be able to have the low speed for rocks if i want to.
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I know you said you want to stay brushed but, I run the system out of the exo which is basically the castle sv3 with a 2900kv motor that is 3s capable. It spends more time in the mud and water than it does dry and I have had zero issues in the last year ( unless you count the occasional shot of oil on the output bearing. I run 20/87 unless I'm planning to do a lot of rocks than its 12/87 to get rid of low end cogging.

Sent from the USSRC
Spork_Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Higher kV / higher turn motors have a slower minimum speed.

Just in case a newb reads this, you mean lower kv and higher turn motors have a slower speed.

Holmes makes excellent motors, brood as well. I would suggest buying new as it seems people try and sell used ones for close to new prices. Plus buying a used motor is always a gamble, you never know how much it was used or abused

Last edited by Kylar; 12-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork_Assassin View Post
I know you said you want to stay brushed but, I run the system out of the exo which is basically the castle sv3 with a 2900kv motor that is 3s capable. It spends more time in the mud and water than it does dry and I have had zero issues in the last year ( unless you count the occasional shot of oil on the output bearing. I run 20/87 unless I'm planning to do a lot of rocks than its 12/87 to get rid of low end cogging.

Sent from the USSRC
Unless hes not going to be doing ANY slow speed crawling, running a sensorless brushless setup is a horrible idea.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

You should go brushless. Holmes, Novak or Tekin. 13.5 is my prefered motor. I run both the Holmes and the novak @ 13.5. The Tekin ROC412 is a great choice, but a little pricy.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
35t and 3s is THE standard crawler power combo. For good reason. Decent low speed resolution and wheelspeed.

I've been running a "good" (not silver can Johnson/Mabuchi) 27t on 3s in a Honcho for a couple years now with zero issues. Would not want to go any slower.

[and higher turn motors don't have more torque, they just will run slower , or better low speed resolution, giving the illusion of more torque. It's simply a characteristic of the motor. In other words, Higher kV / higher turn motors have a slower minimum speed. Nothing to do with "more torque")
Im thinking when you send more voltage into any motor its making more power/torque no matter what turn it is....youre right though with the torque..it just simply moves it down lower rpm range based on turn..but couple that with a lot more voltage and it can be a disaster for a near stock rig.

To me recommending a 3s to a noob is like buying a 16yr old son/daughter a Porsche twin turbo for their first car..Just a bad idea.

The 3s is needed with a 35T to get back wheel speed lost over a 27T...So if you use a 2s with a quality 27T and gear down (16T ) you still have wheel speed with acceptable control.,,My Honcho with a 16T pinion flat out leaves my rubicon with a 20T pinion in the dust in control and speed.

Im actually thinking of going down even more with the pinion as my wheel speed is plenty and can trade off a little for even better low speed control.

Ive never been left with wishing I had more in either department as of yet..Its done all ive ever asked of it with a 2s and 27T.

We all have our preferences/opinions though...To eaches own.

You must have a hell of a wheel speed though with a 3s on a 27T
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Sharky, are you running the RTR Axial 27t or other motor?

and what pinions are you running? Axial? Or aftermarket? And that's a 32p 16t?

Last edited by Richterat83; 12-26-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
The stock motor on the rubicon for now and the custom motor on the Honcho.

Any quality 27T with adjustable timing is worlds above a stock sealed can motor...My timing is 6 degrees advanced with 4 teeth lower than the stock rubicon and it still leaves it any any situation in the field...Speed/control/down hill off throttle holding power..everything.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-26-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post

and what pinions are you running? Axial? Or aftermarket? And that's a 32p 16t?

im using 48p gears (Kimbrough 87T spur/Robinson 16T pinion)

The kimbrough I found to make less gear noise as its machined and not molded like the stock gear is..otherwise its same as stock...Cant tell the difference looks wise side by side.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks for the response!

my last dumb question, but, where did you get them from? I see axial pinions on ebay, but not finding antyhing here from vendors
Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
RCC Addict

the kimbrough gears you can find most any place as well as the robinson gear..You don't really have to change the spur gear..the stock one works just fine..I just wanted mine quieter,,,the pinion doenst have to be a robinson racing gear either..any 16T pinion that fits the motor shaft will work.

I buy mostly off ebay so that's where I found most of the parts I bought for my truck.

RPP might have those parts..not sure though.

Crawler innovations has the kimbrough spur gears and the robinson motor pinions if im not mistaken.

suggestions for good trail motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suggestions on a cheap trail clod build 1375 Tamiya Clod Buster 2 11-11-2013 05:24 PM
Dirt/Mud Trail tire? Suggestions? Oldskoolcj Tires and Wheels 23 03-25-2013 05:51 PM
Suggestions for mud, trail, bash 4WD jim_w HPI Wheely King 0 01-21-2010 09:30 AM
need motor suggestions rash_powder Newbie General 2 01-04-2007 02:22 PM
I'm looking to build a TLT Trail Rig, need some suggestions! FFRCJosh Newbie General 2 02-07-2006 06:37 AM