Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Default Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build

Hello everyone, Im Derek from NE ohio, new to the site and new to crawlers. I ordered the JK Unlimited Rubicon kit and received it a week or so ago. I dont have many build pics, and its all stock with what came in the box for the moment. Just gonna get out there and play and upgrade from there. Here is my pics so far.... still needs a few things to get it going which should be here this week and into next.

Jeeper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #2

Default Re: Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build

For the Hard top i tried 2 toning it like a real JK, however my painters tape let some black bleed over and i didnt like it at all, so i cut the windows out of it, really like the look with 1/2 doors.

For the rest of the Jeep, since i am just getting into it, I am going to be running a stock 27T motor with a stock AE-2 ESC. When the motor goes, I will be upgrading to the Tekin 35t motor, possibly a 45T. I really wanted to go with the FX-R combo, but funds didnt allow that.

The kit came with aluminum links, except for the front 3 link Y, which i am leaving stock for now, and the rear upper links were plastic. I had some Tmaxx rods laying around and replaced the uppers with longer links to correct and help the drive line angle in the rear.

Last night I started working on my first real mod, if you wanna call it that.. by moving the battery up front and down low across the chassis, and relocated the receiver box to the rear. when my ESC comes in I will be figuring out a spot for that after I do the waterproof trick.

Tonight I also ordered a Thunder AC680 charger to go with my Gens Ace Batteries.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nice build! Paint looks good too. What paint are you using? Is it a waterbased paint? I am waiting for warmer weather to paint to avoid fumes in my house. Nice to see someone else from the area.
Hirschowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #4

Paint is Pactra white, in a rattle can, and outlaw black on the hard top. the interior was done on the front side with Flexible bumper paint (flat) i had kicking around in the garage. I setup in a spare rooom i had in the house, puffed one spray out of the can and remember how much this paint smells and the fumes from it. so i made some trips to the garage and back in to dry, fumes werent really as bad.

Being in erie, which is only about 45 mins from me is there any spots to go to, indoor courses anywhere or something like that?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Welcome aboard, nice build so far I'm working on the exact rig myself. I also know all to well about the obnoxious smell of flex paint, its enough to knock you out at some points.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #6

looks good man, I myself just got a rtr rubicon for christmas and have done the battery mod as well, i also made some links
daf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper95 View Post
Paint is Pactra white, in a rattle can, and outlaw black on the hard top. the interior was done on the front side with Flexible bumper paint (flat) i had kicking around in the garage. I setup in a spare rooom i had in the house, puffed one spray out of the can and remember how much this paint smells and the fumes from it. so i made some trips to the garage and back in to dry, fumes werent really as bad.

Being in erie, which is only about 45 mins from me is there any spots to go to, indoor courses anywhere or something like that?
Nothing that I am aware of in Erie. I know about a place in Sandy Lake, PA call BigDig RC. Haven't been there, but might make the trip. There is another place in Franklin, PA that has comps. They just had one like 2 weeks ago. I wanted to check it out but work been to busy on the weekends.

I really have to be wary of the fumes from painting. I already have a wife who HATES (most of the time) my hobby. Don't want to give her another reason. LOL Maybe I will have to take it to the shop at work to paint, but that would suck, but it might come to that. Winter sucks.
Hirschowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

I hear ya on the wife thing.. lol. though im not married any longer, my current GF who used to live with me (long story lol) she hated all the time I spent on my 1:1... im sure she will feel the same on my new crawler hobby lol.

been pretty busy lately only worked on a few things the past week.

relocated the battery, added in a castle BEC, waterproofing in progress, added a project box in for the ESC, also flipped the motor around to distribute some weight since the battery is up front and lower and that the ESC was going to be in the back. Got some servo extensions coming so i wont have to get back in the boxes for any reason, wheel weights on the way, going to be ordering my DX3C this week as well as some beadlock wheels.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Hey man, you should turn your driveshafts around so the splines don't get chewed up and start binding on you.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

Thanks for the info.. funny i just came across that "mod" so to speak on here right after updating my post lol. the nice thing about waiting on stuff to get here is im not hurrying up to get it out and play lol. lets me do what i can with what i got to make it a bit more functional.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Come on over to tri-state scale outlaws, and Keystone RC.

Tinsoldier holds the comp near his place, you can find info on the comps on either forums.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeeper's JK Unlimited Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet Another Rubicon Unlimited Kit Build Ambis Axial SCX-10 2 11-09-2013 11:50 AM
YJ Unlimited Build yj300hp 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 01-23-2012 11:38 PM
jeeper's NB jeep build jeeper03 Axial SCX-10 55 12-11-2011 11:08 AM
JK Unlimited Build (WIP) BrianP 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 10-15-2011 07:01 PM
Wrangler unlimited maxx build Got Rocks? Traxxas Crawlers 34 04-27-2007 02:36 PM