Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to crawlin, looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Default New to crawlin, looking for advice

Hi all,

Just picked up a Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited C/R Edition RTR. I got sucked into watching all those up close go pro videos of trailing and got hooked. Had to get one, so i'm looking forward to trailing maybe with some of you in the Detroit area.

Anyways, looking for some advice on lipo battery. Budget is between $30 and $50. I'm seeing a lot out there. I found one on Amazon from HobbyStar for $58. This is a 7600mah 2s 75c lipo with a traxxas or Deans plug. The little research i've done 70c packs a punch and the 7800mah will allow me longer time on the trail.

I've noticed a lot of guys run fine with 5000mah 20-25c. Will the stock set up just implode with this battery, motor burn up, transmission, drive shaft etc?

Or 40c or 25c. I'm okay with getting a 25c batter, they're cheaper; i just want to keep torque.

Thanks

Last edited by Headshot450; 01-15-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Headshot450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to crawlin, looking for advice

Bigger is not always better. I run two 2200mAh packs, one on each side. Discharge rate really isn't an issue either since it's a crawler.

If you're willing to spend some coin for a good pack, look into getting a saddle pack that'll sit on each side on top of the sliders.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I think you need to do more research on how LIPO packs work. The 70c doesn't have anything to do with the "punch it packs", it's the discharge rate the pack is built for. Higher C packs are needed for things that draw more power. So if you have a high draw motor, lights, high powered servo, etc you'll need a higher C pack. Most crawlers are good with a 40C or so, maybe less. Crawling isn't typically a high draw thing. You're right on the mah, that's the capacity of the pack. Higher number means more time driving. I think what you're thinking of for the "punch it packs" is the S rating. 2S, 3S, etc. That's the number of cells in series. 2S is 2 cells, 3S is 3 cells and so on. More cells is more voltage. From what I've seen, 2S is common, and some people run 3S. That's what gives you the torque and speed out of the pack. The number of cells you can run is also determined by your ESC. For instance the AE-5 that comes in the newer Axials is rather for up to 3S.
jaqattack02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
RCC Addict

check out value hobby, wide variety to choose from and the prices are great.

Ive been running a cheapo 3s that was about 15 bucks for over 3 years. i get all my batts from them and never had an issue.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
check out value hobby, wide variety to choose from and the prices are great.

Ive been running a cheapo 3s that was about 15 bucks for over 3 years. i get all my batts from them and never had an issue.

I have 2 G force 2s that are 3 years old with no issues so far and just yesterday received 3 new one. Great packs and for the price you can't beat it.
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to crawlin, looking for advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oz crawlin luxenberg Videos! 2 12-19-2015 03:34 AM
new to Crawlin! MRC Advice! YaItsGotAHemi Newbie General 0 01-14-2011 02:09 PM
Want to go Crawlin'! nickmind Newbie General 30 04-16-2010 09:23 PM
Just some more crawlin P1choco Videos! 7 05-13-2009 08:49 AM
New to crawlin, Need some advice Newbster Tamiya Clod Buster 0 05-28-2005 01:22 PM