Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Loud sound coming from rear axle?? Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Loud sound coming from rear axle?? Help!!!!

So I have a the J/K rtr and I already waterproofed the truck but know my rear axle makes a loud ticking sound when I hold it up and test it. I put a lot of marine grease in both axles and I even pealed the seals of the bearings to put marine grease inside of them so they don't rust. I haven't driven the truck much and if you hold the rear axle you can feel vibration and that's not normal! So any suggestions on what it could be? I have taken the axle apart two times to make sure the gear mesh isn't tight and the gears appear to be okay. Here's all the mods I've done just in case your wondering:
- mirrored the transmission
- 4-linked front
- axial aluminum links uppers, lowers, and front steering links.
- 1.9 super swampers on rc4wd rims (these came off my honcho, so there used.lol.)
- 110 mm King shocks w/ reservoirs (yes I know there to large but there the only ones I could get).
-level 3 racing droop kit
- moved the battery location horizontal on the frame (zip tied to the shock hoops)
- moved receiver box to the rear (zip tied to the rear shock hoops and frame)
- plasti dipped esc, servo and I double Balloned them plus the receiver. This set-up seems to be great even with my gopro mounted on the cage with the custom mount I made.
So the mods go on and on but I need to know about my axle. Oh I almost forgot, the driveshaft angle is okay, that's why I got the droop kit for the insane large shocks and I'm working on getting more articulation ( all I have to do is change shock mounting positions). Sorry its a large thread, I would apperciate any help - axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Loud sound coming from rear axle?? Help!!!!

Is your driveshaft aligned, correctly?
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
Is your driveshaft aligned, correctly?
Yes. The front and rear align 100% meaning the screw/pins align from the rear axle to the tranny then the tranny to to the front axle, if you know what I mean. Or in other words the driveshaft screws are all aligned together.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think he's talking about the angle of your drive shafts.. If you compress the suspension and the noise goes away your top links need to be longe.
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I had the same noise due to the plastic housing being warped, eventually it went away on its own....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by execelon View Post
I think he's talking about the angle of your drive shafts.. If you compress the suspension and the noise goes away your top links need to be longe.
No, he answered my question but, you bring up a good point. If it's only making this noise when the rear is drooped out all the way, then it could be a suspension issue.

Could just be that something got put together wrong inside the axle, or something is coming apart in there, like a screw backing out of the ring gear, maybe?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
In the band for now.

take it apart and check it
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

So I have a the J/K rtr and I already waterproofed the truck but know my rear axle makes a loud ticking sound when I hold it up and test it. I put a lot of marine grease in both axles and I even pealed the seals of the bearings to put marine grease inside of them so they don't rust. I haven't driven the truck much and if you hold the rear axle you can feel vibration and that's not normal! So any suggestions on what it could be? I have taken the axle apart two times to make sure the gear mesh isn't tight and the gears appear to be okay

he already did that......

Last edited by allanon1965; 02-08-2014 at 05:52 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
take it apart and check it
Yeah I'll take it apart again and check everything but since I already did there's no need to take it apart again, my bad.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

To fix the confusion, my driveshaft angle is okay, at first with large shocks I have the angle was terrible and total didn't work but I say again with the droop kit it forces the driveshaft angle to be just right. I really don't know the problem, since I have plenty of experience on this chassis I've never seen anything like it. It doesn't matter if I compresses the suspension or not the ticking sound comes from inside the axle and you can here it from 5 feet away, which means its very loud!! And yes you can feel the vibration inside, the aluminum links are the proper size: 12.3 in wheelbase kit from axial. Is it possible that the marine grease is making binding issues inside?? Sorry if I make it confusing for you guys, I appreciate the help but as for right know the problem is not resolved. - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Clean the teeth of the diff very well tooth brush, tooth pick etc.. Make sure one hasn't picked up some trash clean the housing re-grease and enjoy..
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

After thinking about it, and re-reading your initial post, I think you may have gotten some debris in one of your bearings.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by execelon View Post
Clean the teeth of the diff very well tooth brush, tooth pick etc.. Make sure one hasn't picked up some trash clean the housing re-grease and enjoy..
Okay, I'll do that, thank you for the input. I'll just take the entire axle apart and do what you said.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
After thinking about it, and re-reading your initial post, I think you may have gotten some debris in one of your bearings.
- yeah true, if that's the case then I'll just drive the truck for awhile and see what happens. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it. - axial 4x4 crawler

Loud sound coming from rear axle?? Help!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loud coming from?? CHOPPERMECH11 Axial Wraith 5 03-05-2013 08:44 PM
rear axle sound ? Subytuner Axial XR10 11 06-18-2012 11:38 AM
Servo makes alot of loud static crackling/popping sound when moving, normal? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 18 12-30-2011 05:06 PM
rear axle shaft coming out of locker MudboyNJ Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-09-2011 04:51 AM
funny sound coming out of the rear diff damige jnr Venom Creeper 12 02-23-2010 09:15 AM