Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jeep Wrangler G6 kit VS. 2012 Unlimited Rubicon kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jeep Wrangler G6 kit VS. 2012 Unlimited Rubicon kit

I am just getting back into crawling after a 6 year hiatus (not due to getting sick of crawling)

I can't afford a new rig right now, but once I get a better job I would like to get a scale rig to take hiking with me. I currently have an old TLT based build with a gopher tube chassis (if anyone remembers what that is).

I am looking around and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 rigs, the SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 and SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon kit
First off, I am wondering if there is anything different between the three as far as performance and parts quality, or if it's just aesthetics. Secondly, I was wondering which one came out the most recently.

I would also like to add that I would like to be able to eventually get a winch and some LED headlights and tail lights. I also want to be able to handle going through water. That also reminds me, do the SCX10's tranny and axles get full of water when they get submerged or are they well sealed. If they do take on water, do they drain well and does it hurt them?

Edit: I was able to answer some of my questions after I thought to go to the Axial website. The Unlimited Wrangler C/R is just like the previous unlimited wrangler rubicon except it has fancy lights, different rims, different tires, and some new branding. I think I would rather have a kit and get the metal links and shocks and put my own gear in it. I removed references to that RTR from my post and title.

I guess it comes down to the Wrangler G6 or Wrangler unlimited Rubicon.

I was able to figure out another one of my questions: the G6 came out more recently than the unlimited rubicon.

I've found that the G6 has a 0.3 inch smaller wheelbase (which I heard in a review video actually was good for reducing hang ups). The G6 has a 3.15 inch shorter body overall as well (might be a bonus). They both have the same ground clearance. I also found that most of the equipment is the same for both jeeps. The G6 has a better body for performance it would seem due to the dovetail. The G6 also lacks rear wheelwell flares, but I'm not sure that matters since it is dovetailed in. The G6 also lacks a spare tire, but also lacks a rear bumper (I'm not sure if no bumper is a big deal). The G6 also comes with a nice lightbar to add some lights later. The Unlimited Rubicon has the option of a hard top cover as well (I would probably keep it off).

Does anyone have anything to add to this comparison, or an argument for one or the other? The crawler Store was out of stock for the G6, but I won't be able to buy one for a few months anyway.

Last edited by theTman; 04-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

It all depends what u wanna do with ur rig?both can be done up as a scaler or "crawler". Here are some shots of my JK Rubicon
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep Wrangler G6 kit VS. 2012 Unlimited Rubicon kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Gear Head RC/Rpp Hobby SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon RPP Hobby Axial SCX-10 56 07-15-2013 02:01 PM
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - AX90028 BENDER Axial SCX-10 379 07-02-2013 10:57 PM
SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon HyperMark Axial SCX-10 0 10-30-2012 08:07 AM
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon salmonshark Chit Chat 6 10-16-2011 11:19 AM