Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Thrashed 'er for a few years, what now?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Thrashed 'er for a few years, what now?

I've been smashing around the block for a few years in my honcho and i'm wondering what I should do with it next. Still running original running gear (motor, shocks, links, drive lines, speed control and transmitter, ect). My stock shocks wont hold oil anymore and I am wondering what would be a good shock to switch to. The motor is also giving up the ghost and I would like to get something with a bit more torque. Just looking for any recomendations, not looking for competition quality but useable daily bashing. Any advice would be awesome.
deathvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Rebuild your shocks and pick up a 35t motor(holmes,tekin,rc4wd,etc)

Also would be a good time to regrease your diffs and trans, but if its not broken, no need to replace it.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Thrashed 'er for a few years, what now?

Get some Gmade zero shocks for @ $50 a set, grab a Holmes hobbies 13T Crawlmaster sport @ $40 and this motor has tremendous low end and bit more wheel speed than the stock 27T. Then you should be ripping up the neighborhood after that for a good long while.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 AM   #4

^ like what he said get some gmade shocks . i have some and love it
turboeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I run duratrax big bores. Also you should maybe get a 35t motor. I run a tekin and never had any problems.

Last edited by 79SCX10; 03-22-2014 at 10:28 AM.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

No problems with my BigBores....great shock, they've never leaked.
Also look into a 35t HH or Brood motor....affordable, re-build able, great customer service from both of those vendors, great all around motors...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:06 AM   #7

I am running gmade zeros in my jp. I went with the 104mm but in hind sight I should have gone with the 94mm because the 104s jacked the truck way up in the air. Awesome shock though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jp0478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #8

I've got a quick tip on a quick fix for loose axial rod ends... This works with the plastic ends, and the whole plastic links, with plastic or metal balls. Remove the link, pop out the ball, heat the tip of the link a lil with a lighter or heat gun and then press it straight down on the work bench just enough to squish it in a lil. It'll flatten the eye just a smidge, making the ball tight to press back in. Re-install and run for another year with near zero slop. Tightened up my jeep really well with no binding.

... ...
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If you're going to be doing mostly bashing with it.I'd say stick with a 27T.Just go with a different motor. I run a motor from Holmes Hobbies that's just right for those trucks that see more bashing then crawling..This is it. Holmes Hobbies LLC And the best part is it's only $11.99. It has great low end torque and has nice wheel seed.And you can't go wrong with a $12.00 Holmes hobbies approved motor...No need to spend a big bunch of money if ya don't have to..
And for the shocks...It could never hurt to do a basic rebuild...Or if you don't think the stock shocks will work for you any more.Go for the best shocks you can afford. Good shocks can make or break a good rig.IMO that is.Some like G made shocks Some like King shocks, and some like big bores...It's all in who you ask.I think you should do a little reading up on some shocks and see what ones would best suite you..And your style.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottorque View Post
Rebuild your shocks and pick up a 35t motor(holmes,tekin,rc4wd,etc)

Also would be a good time to regrease your diffs and trans, but if its not broken, no need to replace it.
Yes, but Traxxas Titan 21 turn 550 motor on 3s is great motor and cheap! I gear mine 13/56 32 pitch, crawls great and has some wheelspeed!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I've got a quick tip on a quick fix for loose axial rod ends... This works with the plastic ends, and the whole plastic links, with plastic or metal balls. Remove the link, pop out the ball, heat the tip of the link a lil with a lighter or heat gun and then press it straight down on the work bench just enough to squish it in a lil. It'll flatten the eye just a smidge, making the ball tight to press back in. Re-install and run for another year with near zero slop. Tightened up my jeep really well with no binding.

... ...
or you could just swap one of those "excellent" plastic links for one of the spares axial provides in the parts bag

i would just rebuild the shocks with new seals and oil, then replace the motor with something rebuildable. Integy 35t is probably your cheapest option. all of this should come in well under $50 including tax at your local hobby store.

if you're on an OG honcho, you may not have the wildboar drivelines - if so, either get the reinforcement cups or upgrade to someone's wildboar takeoffs when they swap to MIPs. might not be a bad time to drop $30 on a set of Fast Eddy bearings for your whole rig - replace all of them and service the diffs/trans while you've got it open.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input, got a 35t motor on order and a new set of shocks, nothing special just some basic amazon junk. Gonna save up for a set of gmade shocks, been hearing alot of good things about them. Will post pictures if I can figure out how. Also has anyone heard of a good frame mounted servo kit?
deathvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The Best Scx-10 CMS..?
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathvan View Post
Thanks for all the input, got a 35t motor on order and a new set of shocks, nothing special just some basic amazon junk. Gonna save up for a set of gmade shocks, been hearing alot of good things about them. Will post pictures if I can figure out how. Also has anyone heard of a good frame mounted servo kit?
RC4WD is almost an exact copy of the hand bros kit and works awesome. It is 100% complete. Blue Monkey has a pretty nice setup too and it is cheaper than RC4WD. Toyzuki Fab should have his new CMS kit out in a week or two. I've checked out a prototype and it's the bee's knee's. It should be quite affordable too. The level 3 "kit" doesnt come with much and doesnt allow much adjustability. You get what you pay for with this one. Vanquish has a slick CMS kit, but you have to buy all the suspension links with it and it costs a pretty penny. Wish they would release the brackets and panhard, drag link, and upper link my themselves in a kit.

I run the Gmade XD piggyback shocks and love em. They leak a touch, but work very good. Super adjustable. Only thing I do not like is how big around they are, wish they were a tad skinnier.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thrashed 'er for a few years, what now? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two years... RD400 Chit Chat 72 02-20-2011 12:00 AM
5 years.... JeremyH Chit Chat 19 11-19-2010 01:50 PM
thrashed it....time to upgrade. crazyorigin HPI Wheely King 5 07-28-2010 05:46 AM