Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Gear Head shock relocation question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gear Head shock relocation question

Hey folks, have a question for anyone else running the Gear Head RC rear shock relocation kit.

Picked this up a couple weeks back and installed it on my fairly stock loaner scx10, just because I always like the looks of it and wanted to give it a try. Running Proline scaler shocks, I installed everything and ran into the first problem, dont get full flex due to the springs hitting and rubbing the chassis rails, modified my shocks by using just the lower silver spring and turned down the collars, no more spring hittin the chassis issues.
Problem 2, it jacks up the rear end, a lot. causing the front end to dive much more than it should. I adjusted the shocks every which way possible, tried different shocks, different spring combos, and different amounts of preload to adjust the ride height, but nothing worked. It would climb, especially with the front squatted down like that, but it had way to much fender and body rub, and looked incredibly bad IMO. When I ordered the relocation kit, I also picked up the Gear Head RC body/suspension height adjusters. These bolt on to the stock shock mounts, and can be used to run the shock mounting position higher than stock, lowering the vehicle, or the opposite. This raised up the front end so it didn't look so horrible and I thought all was well. Yesterday at a comp i noticed hearing my tranny slip a few times and the truck seemed to have a strange "pulsating" from the front axle. Finished my 2 runs, and afterwards noticed that even though I only changed the height a bit in the front, it greatly changed my front drive shaft's angle going into my axle.
Anyone run into this or have any thoughts on how to fix it? I could pull the relocation kit off, and put it back to stock, I just really liked the look of the back end of the truck with it on, and how much flex I get out of it. Thanks for any help!
-bryan
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gear Head shock relocation question

Make new, longer upper links to help with your pinion angle.

when you do that, you'll need to get clockable hubs or Burly Tubes to get your caster and steering link back to stock location. You may even have to install a CMS kit from RC4WD or Hand Bros.

Best bet, just get rid of the lift kit and get a little longer shock.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gear Head shock relocation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
Hey folks, have a question for anyone else running the Gear Head RC rear shock relocation kit.

Picked this up a couple weeks back and installed it on my fairly stock loaner scx10, just because I always like the looks of it and wanted to give it a try. Running Proline scaler shocks, I installed everything and ran into the first problem, dont get full flex due to the springs hitting and rubbing the chassis rails, modified my shocks by using just the lower silver spring and turned down the collars, no more spring hittin the chassis issues.
Problem 2, it jacks up the rear end, a lot. causing the front end to dive much more than it should. I adjusted the shocks every which way possible, tried different shocks, different spring combos, and different amounts of preload to adjust the ride height, but nothing worked. It would climb, especially with the front squatted down like that, but it had way to much fender and body rub, and looked incredibly bad IMO. When I ordered the relocation kit, I also picked up the Gear Head RC body/suspension height adjusters. These bolt on to the stock shock mounts, and can be used to run the shock mounting position higher than stock, lowering the vehicle, or the opposite. This raised up the front end so it didn't look so horrible and I thought all was well. Yesterday at a comp i noticed hearing my tranny slip a few times and the truck seemed to have a strange "pulsating" from the front axle. Finished my 2 runs, and afterwards noticed that even though I only changed the height a bit in the front, it greatly changed my front drive shaft's angle going into my axle.
Anyone run into this or have any thoughts on how to fix it? I could pull the relocation kit off, and put it back to stock, I just really liked the look of the back end of the truck with it on, and how much flex I get out of it. Thanks for any help!
-bryan
It would help if you would post some pictures of the setup/problem so that we can see what is going on.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Gear Head shock relocation question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit Gear Head RC Chassis and Suspension 11 01-28-2013 04:08 AM
Any performance benefits to Gear Head’s shock relocation kit? TW31 Axial SCX-10 12 09-17-2012 11:21 PM
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit ridgecrest78 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 3 08-09-2012 03:14 AM
Gear Head RC SCX10 Rear Shock Relocation Kit RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-31-2012 02:47 PM