Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: just ordered my SCX10 today, Im a newbie to Rock Crawling ... HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Default just ordered my SCX10 today, Im a newbie to Rock Crawling ... HELP!!

Well guys I just ordered the SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit today, I live in an area that rock crawling is very popular and has a purse to the winner... That being said I'm a newbie to the rock crawling world which is why I ordered the kit so that I could get better knowledge right out the gate... My goal here is to build a serious competition crawler... So I'm asking for suggestions as to what upgrades I need right out of the gate for the chassis .. Also what gearing, ESC and motor do you novice suggested I use... I'm not looking for speed but rather great rock crawling ability with my scx10... I know that I don't want the rollback issue so please help with whatever u guys suggest ...
upNComer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: just ordered my SCX10 today, Im a newbie to Rock Crawling ... HELP!!

First thing is to know the competition rules for the type of crawler you bought. You need to know the rules that apply to the type of rig you are building if you are doing a comp rig. For example, the SCX10 is a scaler so the rules are different than say for a MOA rig. I would look at the rules carefully before going out and buying upgrade parts.

2014 SORRCA Scale rules

For crawling, I would look at the HH TorqueMaster Pro 35T / HH BRXL ESC combo. Holmes Hobbies LLC
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: just ordered my SCX10 today, Im a newbie to Rock Crawling ... HELP!!

I have a tekin fxr and 35t in my truck, never any problems has a good amount of torque and speed. If you search around the forum you'll find some useful stuff on what to upgrade.
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sidewinder escs are also a good choice for many due to the adjustability, drag brake settings, and the newer ones are all waterproof now!

Most people get a set of beadlocks too, wouldn't even use the stock glue on rims, rc4wd wagon wheels are a good choice for the money, or axial 8 hole beadlocks are a little cheaper and look good too, tires are actually pretty good out of the box also

Don't cheap on a servo tho, you'll regret it. Get a metal gear digital hightorque servo that's at least 200oz torque.
I've used hitec and JR racing and had good results.
But hitec servos tend to make the radio glitchy, so get a BEC especially If you're gonna run a castle esc.

Last edited by DAHSEHONDA; 04-06-2014 at 06:21 PM.
DAHSEHONDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Alittle inspiration

Old 04-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the information guys, and love the yellow... I've read the scale rules and think class 2 or 3 are what I'm after... So with that decision being made what ESC and motor should I run... Im new to crawling but have being reading threads for hours and still can't decide if brushed or brushless is what I want.. I know I'm not after speed anything much over a walking pace is to fast .. I'm after serious rock crawling torque.. but correct me if I'm thinking wrong about this.. as far as servo I have a new hitec 645mg metal servo but it seems from what I've read the hs7455 is the way to go?? However servo selection seems after what I've read can effect your ESC performance.. again am I wrong about this ?
upNComer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Most will tell you brushed, because you can't beat the low speed control versus a brushless, even a sensored brushless is not as smooth. A good hand wound 35turn motor will go far. Some servos affect certain escs and some don't. The JR racing servos never did for me, but my hitec 945mg made everything glitch with a castle esc. Either way, just get the external BEC, best 20-30 bucks you can spend . Best of luck man!
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #8
Moderator Rule Breaker

Stick with brushed setup, it be easier for you. Homles hobbies brxl esc, with 35t motor, castle bec. 300oz servo. Holmes hobbies also has a decent servo. I go with 3s lipo.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote

just ordered my SCX10 today, Im a newbie to Rock Crawling ... HELP!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:1 rock crawling today DISTURBIN' tha PEACE Hawaii 5 03-30-2012 01:15 AM
Newbie to rock crawling fastlane Newbie General 4 05-25-2010 09:15 AM
Newbie to rock crawling fastlane Newbie General 3 04-18-2010 02:36 PM
New to rock crawling and the rs10 - mine arrives today, what basics should I know? mujzeptu Redcat Crawlers 4 04-08-2010 10:41 AM
Newbie: anyone using a 9CH for rock crawling? YSL Electronics 13 06-05-2009 11:11 AM