Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Need Some Thoughts About This SCX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need Some Thoughts About This SCX-10

I think your best "upgrade" is gonna be your driving style.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Probably but that's a pretty tall order.
minicooperzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I think I have an idea on what to get. (You Ready For It) A Mattzilla Truggy Chassis for the TF2 Body. That should be harder to bend right? Plus it has a lifetime warranty. The TF2 Body will probably be toast but an RC4WD Cab Exo-cage should help.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I can't believe you're bending the frame rails to being with. It's called "Scale" maybe you should try driving scale as well.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I can't believe you're bending the frame rails to being with. It's called "Scale" maybe you should try driving scale as well.
Yeah the track at the hobby shop was originally designed for XR-10 style vehicles not SCX-10's. So that could do it plus I basically launched the truck off the course once the tires bit into the rock and when your truck weighs 10lbs that much moving mass can cause some damage. Especially when landing on a concrete floor covered with a thin layer of carpet.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Ah, comp style crawling then, that can do it!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ah, comp style crawling then, that can do it!
Yep I put my SCX-10 to the test plus VERY LOW maintenance so last time I greased the trans and axles was when I built the truck in 2013 but I recently greased them back in February. I had also replaced the gears in the trans in October and didn't grease it then so the truck is not well loved. But i still love to drive it.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:03 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, Integy/topcad parts are NOT an upgrade.
FACT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
If the parts aren't holding up then they need to be upgraded. I drive like a 4 year old with ADD and my junk is built accordingly.

Quote:
If you knew how some people drive their 1:1's you'd know he pretty much is driving scale.

I'd grab something like a TCS x trail chassis and double it up if needed.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

We all see I bent the frame on my scx-10 right. Right. So hears my thought. A 1.9 wraith with SCX-10 axles. Seems like a god plan. Get a Wraith kit hot racing output. My scx-10 internals and electronics. Shouldn't bend in 2 places right? and it can have more scale details such as an interior and try to keep it at the same wheelbase-ish. Sounds like a great plan plus there is TONS of stuff for wrath chassis.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooperzoom View Post
We all see I bent the frame on my scx-10 right. Right. So hears my thought. A 1.9 wraith with SCX-10 axles. Seems like a god plan. Get a Wraith kit hot racing output. My scx-10 internals and electronics. Shouldn't bend in 2 places right? and it can have more scale details such as an interior and try to keep it at the same wheelbase-ish. Sounds like a great plan plus there is TONS of stuff for wrath chassis.

I am about to start mine! If you bent a Aluminum chassis though, your probably gonna break a wraith chassis. The Plus side is replacement parts are cheap and easily found.

DO IT!

Happy Crawling,
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooperzoom View Post
Has a 13.5T Novak with a SV3 ESC venom 3000mah and weighs about 10lbs. It might be assembled with wrong screws. And I am nicknamed bulldozer at the hobby shop because I move the course a lot with this truck and I am VERRY abusive when driving. Although I do put on a good show but I have slowed down a bit.

Upgrade before you break it.

>>> 13.5T Novak <<<

I think I found your problem.

To answer you're question: the rumor is Integy parts are made of lower quality aluminum and break easily. Never owned anything made by them so I cant say for sure.

There are several other routes you can take though.. honestly getting new Axial frame rails is pretty cheap, you can buy the whole frame rail and supports for about $50 on ebay right now (if that chassis you are looking at is $600 that's like 12 scx10 steel frames), or have someone make you come C-rails out of a heavier metal if you look through the vendors. or have someone like matzilla make you a truggy with an exo. I doubt the exo sold on rc4wd would do much to protect you launching your truck out of the course onto a concrete floor.

Do you have steel gears in your tranny and diffs with mip drive shafts, beef tubes and aluminum chubs and knuckles? If not you might consider doing those upgrades. Most people will tell you that the plastic casings on the ax-10 axles will go over rocks better than aluminum will, so just keep the stock casings. (robinson, hot racing, strc and several others all make upgrade parts.) Maybe getting a bit of a higher turn motor like a 35t - 55t would help a little too.. and don't forget you can bend a steel frame back into shape, generally when aluminum bends under impact it cracks.

Lastly, if you're more into go fast, a scx-10 might just not be the right truck as they are relatively fragile (IMHO) compared to something like a stampede 4x4.

My overall opinion though is that a 10+ lb truck launching at high speed and falling 10 feet onto concrete is going to break something unless you land properly.

Good Luck

Last edited by rcwolf; 04-23-2014 at 12:20 AM.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwolf View Post
>>> 13.5T Novak <<<

I think I found your problem.

To answer you're question: the rumor is Integy parts are made of lower quality aluminum and break easily. Never owned anything made by them so I cant say for sure.

There are several other routes you can take though.. honestly getting new Axial frame rails is pretty cheap, you can buy the whole frame rail and supports for about $50 on ebay right now (if that chassis you are looking at is $600 that's like 12 scx10 steel frames), or have someone make you come C-rails out of a heavier metal if you look through the vendors. or have someone like matzilla make you a truggy with an exo. I doubt the exo sold on rc4wd would do much to protect you launching your truck out of the course onto a concrete floor.

Do you have steel gears in your tranny and diffs with mip drive shafts, beef tubes and aluminum chubs and knuckles? If not you might consider doing those upgrades. Most people will tell you that the plastic casings on the ax-10 axles will go over rocks better than aluminum will, so just keep the stock casings. (robinson, hot racing, strc and several others all make upgrade parts.) Maybe getting a bit of a higher turn motor like a 35t - 55t would help a little too.. and don't forget you can bend a steel frame back into shape, generally when aluminum bends under impact it cracks.

Lastly, if you're more into go fast, a scx-10 might just not be the right truck as they are relatively fragile (IMHO) compared to something like a stampede 4x4.

My overall opinion though is that a 10+ lb truck launching at high speed and falling 10 feet onto concrete is going to break something unless you land properly.

Good Luck
I have a Slash 4x4 for going fast. I have an SCX-10 For Comp Scaling and for screwing around the house and a TF2 For I'm not really sure why I think i got it for towing the SCX-10 and Slash on a Trailer. I have Plans to make a Wringo (SCX-10 Axles On a Wraith) out of my SCx-10 so that way it can handle the speed a little bit better but also has a KoH look to it plus the scale interior.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Intergy aluminum parts are very brittle, i would stick with axial frame and add some aluminum cross members.
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

You just need a good tube chassis look on you tube for z71 vs Ralph. If that won't break it then I'm sure you won't either lol
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #35
RCC Addict

May I ask what were the circumstances for bending your frame?...Did it roll down a rocky hillside for 20ft?...did you smash into something?

Seems even the most normal hard driving doesn't bend frames...I don't comp but that doesn't seem to be an issue for those who do and they try to break things.

What the heck are you doing with it that you bent 2 frames?

You can strengthen the frame with changing around some of the bracing or even some strategic welding in certain areas.

You can even partially box the stock frame in areas of weakness if you really needed to.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
May I ask what were the circumstances for bending your frame?...Did it roll down a rocky hillside for 20ft?...did you smash into something?

Seems even the most normal hard driving doesn't bend frames...I don't comp but that doesn't seem to be an issue for those who do and they try to break things.

What the heck are you doing with it that you bent 2 frames?

You can strengthen the frame with changing around some of the bracing or even some strategic welding in certain areas.

You can even partially box the stock frame in areas of weakness if you really needed to.
A few-things. 1: It is one frame that I bent in 2 spots. One in the back near the rear axle and another bend near the front axle. 2: This is NO WEAR NEAR A SCALER COURSE. The course I run on was DESIGNED AND BUILD FOR XR-10/ M.O.A. STYLE CRAWLERS NOT SCX-10'S. 3: I CANNOT WELD OR HAVE A WELDER. Even with soldering I am dangerous. Almost every time I solder I burn my self some how.

Tags
advice, scx-10

Need Some Thoughts About This SCX-10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX-10 TJ Unlimited thoughts GrapeApe Axial SCX-10 3 12-04-2012 09:15 PM
Any thoughts on SCX-10 build??? RCchomp Axial SCX-10 6 12-17-2010 12:09 PM