Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Lift Kit or Droop Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #1

Default Lift Kit or Droop Kit?

Im looking for more "articulation" put of my suspension and have already tuned my stock shocks. Instead of buying aftermarket shocks, Ive heard of people buying lift kits and turning them sideways to relocate the shocks and droop kits. Anybody else running either of these? I dont want to lose ground clearance nor do I want to lift it. Im just looking for more "movement" out of my suspension.
LBrown867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lift Kit or Droop Kit?

Those lift kits are awesome. I use it on the lowest lift setting . This allows full articulation. Although there are many different settings you just have to find the right one. Got mine on eBay for $17.
MX4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

you can remove the bump stops on the stock shocks and it will give you a little more flex
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #4

Ive done that already. The shocks being vertically mounted restrict articulation. I want more and I know with either a lift kit or droop kit you can get that. I just want opinions on which one to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloudone View Post
you can remove the bump stops on the stock shocks and it will give you a little more flex
Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Droop will not help with articulation. Droop just means that the shocks run compressed all the time (instead of extended) and only extend when weight comes off of them. Doesn't usually work well on a scaler and if you ever run with any speed it's going to be a rough ride. Your jumping days are over.

A lift kit will give your rig that hi-lift look, but raises the center of gravity, adversely affecting performance.

You could move the tops of the shocks forward or backward. If a shock is vertical and compresses a full inch, that wheel will move an inch. If you angle the shock it will still only compress an inch, but the wheel will travel farther...if it's got room to move, of course. This will definitely affect performance and it's not a scale look, but it may work for ya.

Personally, I think your best bet is to keep the weight as low as possible (stock setup or lower) and figure out what exactly is limiting your suspension travel. If the servo hits the battery, move the battery back. If the links are hitting a frame cross member, dremel out that cross member. You might have to grind bits off your frame rails and the servo posts on the back axle...whatever it takes. I've gotten full travel out of my scx10 shocks without any extreme suspension mods.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. All I was going to do is mount the lift kit sideways, the long part facing in towrds the center and use the mounting holes as relocation spots for my shocks. By observation and some research, when the shocks are angled to where they point more towards the inside of the truck, then you will have more movement or articulation, allowing you to stick to the side of a hill instead of rolling down it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Droop will not help with articulation. Droop just means that the shocks run compressed all the time (instead of extended) and only extend when weight comes off of them. Doesn't usually work well on a scaler and if you ever run with any speed it's going to be a rough ride. Your jumping days are over.

A lift kit will give your rig that hi-lift look, but raises the center of gravity, adversely affecting performance.

You could move the tops of the shocks forward or backward. If a shock is vertical and compresses a full inch, that wheel will move an inch. If you angle the shock it will still only compress an inch, but the wheel will travel farther...if it's got room to move, of course. This will definitely affect performance and it's not a scale look, but it may work for ya.

Personally, I think your best bet is to keep the weight as low as possible (stock setup or lower) and figure out what exactly is limiting your suspension travel. If the servo hits the battery, move the battery back. If the links are hitting a frame cross member, dremel out that cross member. You might have to grind bits off your frame rails and the servo posts on the back axle...whatever it takes. I've gotten full travel out of my scx10 shocks without any extreme suspension mods.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Came across this old thread and was wondering the same thing.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lift Kit or Droop Kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lift kit. Erbing RC4WD Trail Finder 2 71 03-15-2015 10:57 PM
Droop kit Jew1028 Axial Wraith 1 04-15-2012 10:52 AM
Wraith droop kit Jew1028 Axial Wraith 9 03-26-2012 01:00 AM