Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX 10 Panhard Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #1

Default SCX 10 Panhard Dilemma

Hi all,
I've been a member for some time and have found this to be an amazing place for information on every build of scale trucks and crawlers. I started this hobby when I retired and have built a Wraith and two cc-01 rigs, I learned so much from those cc-01, they drove me mad at times !!
Anyway, I have decided on one last build, the JK Rubicon, this I want to be as near perfect as I can get it, so I have bought a lot of upgrades before I start and have spent months studying all the builds and upgrades posted, but I can't get a real sense of agreement among everyone about a correct setup for a panhard.
The actual panhard setup with the chassis mounted servo is not a problem, I understand how it's done, but it's the upper link configuration has me puzzled, there seems to be confusion about it, some say just use one link, others talk about parallel links and then there are some talk about the triangulated 4 link.
What about the 3 link that comes with the kit, can that be used with the panhard ? I also know lots of people say you don't gain anything from the panhard, but I think it makes for a nice scale look.
So, what is the most popular mindset on the upper link set up for the panhard ?
I am going with the level3 panhard, which I know is not a very popular choice but funds don't allow for VP etc.
Please guys don't roast me, I'm an old guy but I'd like your help,
bogcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX 10 Panhard Dilemma

You need a single upper with a pan hard and I would not suggest the level3 kit, if you are trying to build it "near perfect" go for a hand brothers cms copy from elrc4wd. It comes with everything you need.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
RCC Addict

CMS should be setup with a single upper link and pan hard bar. When you go CMS, the axle needs to sway to one side under compression so you don't get bump steer or binding where a 4-link setup is designed to eliminate axle sway.

Some people run 4-link/CMS, but it's not the correct geometry for the front end to work like it's supposed to.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

A three link with panhard will not bind up for say like a four link will. The three link with panhard is a lot smother system
rc crawler builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I use the vanquish cms and 3 link/panhard and it seems to work great.
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

I too have been looking into the cms, but have decided to go vp. I will need to wait for a bit due to funds as well, but go big or go home.
Biggdogg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:50 AM   #7

Thank you all for your replies and help, I have a clearer vision of how it works now. The Hand Bros kit seems difficult to source, but RC4WD one is available, so I might get that one. The Vanquish looks a nice kit and well machined and is very tempting but, alas a bit too pricey just now for me.
I agree the Level3 looks cheap and I don't like the flat panhard bar, has anybody that you know of used or experimented with a customed built round bar instead of the flat bar.
I've also seen a few people complaining that the RC4WD panhard bar hits the axle pumpkin at full flex, but surely that's at extreme flex and not the norm.
Happy crawling
Old 08-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogcrawler View Post
Thank you all for your replies and help, I have a clearer vision of how it works now. The Hand Bros kit seems difficult to source, but RC4WD one is available, so I might get that one. The Vanquish looks a nice kit and well machined and is very tempting but, alas a bit too pricey just now for me.

I agree the Level3 looks cheap and I don't like the flat panhard bar, has anybody that you know of used or experimented with a customed built round bar instead of the flat bar.

I've also seen a few people complaining that the RC4WD panhard bar hits the axle pumpkin at full flex, but surely that's at extreme flex and not the norm.

Happy crawling

The rc4wd kit has a better servo mount design. Just bend the pan hard a bit to get it to clear the dif.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
The rc4wd kit has a better servo mount design. Just bend the pan hard a bit to get it to clear the dif.
^^^ THIS

I'd stay away from level 3 stuff.

The RC4WD kit is VERY similar to the Hand Brothers kit which was discontinued and is impossible to find. I used the RC4wd kit on my G6 with no issues at all. All I did different was to make my own panhard because I wanted it to match my silver links. I also bent it for better clearance over the diff.

HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #10

Thanks again folks, HDMM, that's a neat set up, the photo explains it all and that's what I'm going to do.
Happy crawling
Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Good info here; do not buy the Level 3 kit, it's really ugly and does not work all that well. I tried it due to the price and ended up buying the RC4WD version and now it looks and works great!
Stricklinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I actually made my own CMS setup by following a thread in this section. I still use my 3 link setup in the front, and made the panhard bar and shimmed it until it was perfect. All that's left to do is paint the parts.

Excuse the crappy pics
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

scx10 Chassis Mounted Servo CMS mod detailed write up

Link to the setup I used...
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default SCX 10 Panhard Dilemma

Combo of rc4wd pan hard and blue money frame mount, vp cms setup. The whole rc4wd set up is awesome

Last edited by SkyJacked; 08-18-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: diff write up
SkyJacked is offline   Reply With Quote