Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: spektrum dx4 series good or no good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 04:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default spektrum dx4 series good or no good?

I am looking for a new radio system. I thought I had it narrowed down to the futaba 4pls or Airtronics mt-4. I keep coming back to the dx4c or dx4s because of the price and the extra free receiver. I know spektrum had issues in the past but are they gone now? What have your experiences been with the dx4 series of radios?
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: spektrum dx4 series good or no good?

Have you ever considered the FlySky FS GT3C? About $50, once hacked you have up to 8 chanels, programability, on board timers, and more! 6 channel receivers are less than $20 including shipping. When you contrast this to a Futaba or Spektrum systems and you almost save enough for a whole new rig!
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I have a gt3b that's hacked but the menus are not exactly easy to figure out. I was not able to find a good manual that clearly explains how to adjust what button does what.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like my dx4c
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

The new DSMR technology fixed all the old problems with range and glitching. I have the DX4C and have driven my vehicles to the point I can barely see them and still have control.
mpharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

my dx4s has been flawless.
J.Peart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'm really interested in the DX4C myself. I saw some on ebay for $99 with a standard 4ch RX (no AVS). A-Main has/had them for $140 with 2 RX.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ive had my MT4 for about 5 years now after having a Spectrum that gave me nothing but hassles. It seem the new ones are better, but I REALLY like my MT4
Pavmentsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've been running the predecessor DX3C for some time and it has worked very well for me. I've also had a GT3B and just didn't like it at all, traded it off. A couple of months ago I changed a DX3R Pro to a DX4C. I really like the menu system Spektrum has, easy to learn and use.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:36 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Is having to bind the esc twice or rebind after making adjustments on the dx4s easy or annoying?
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarider View Post
Is having to bind the esc twice or rebind after making adjustments on the dx4s easy or annoying?
Well the binding process is quite straightforward. Attach bind plug to receiver and power it up, go to the bind menu on the transmitter and rebind.
More or less the ONLY reason why you would need to rebind a receiver is if you change the latency of the DSMR protocol. I think you also need to rebind if you want to toggle AVC support but since I never use that AND I can find the manual right now.
Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Don't you have to rebind every time you adjust end points or reverse a servo or anything like that? Or is that only if your using the avs?

Also a couple months ago people were having a problem with switches not keeping assignments like for a winch. Did they release a software update to correct this?

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the dx4 series but now I can't decide between the dx4c or dx4s.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novarider View Post
Don't you have to rebind every time you adjust end points or reverse a servo or anything like that? Or is that only if your using the avs?

Also a couple months ago people were having a problem with switches not keeping assignments like for a winch. Did they release a software update to correct this?

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the dx4 series but now I can't decide between the dx4c or dx4s.
endpoints adjustments definitely do not need a rebinding. As for the switches not keeping their assignments, I also read about it but it never happened to me personally. That said I only use my switches for on thel trimming on my race car. Furthermore I have a dx4r so it might be different with the other models.
Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #14

The only reason you would need to rebind is if using the AVC rx and you change any trim settings. I have the DX4C and have never had any issues with it loosing switch programming with any of my vehicles.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #15

I forgot to mention in my post above that the main purpose of rebinding is so that you can recalibrate the AVC system after you make a trim change. It is only with the AVC Rx's.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well i went with the dx4s. Rpphobby has a deal where you get a free receiver with the purchase of one so I am getting the dx4s and 3 receivers. Thats enough to cover all of my current vehicles. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

spektrum dx4 series good or no good? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOWTO: Get Axial NVS Light system working with Spektrum Dx4 Thorvald Electronics 0 08-14-2014 08:57 PM
Spectrum dx4 series radio. onecool54@yahoo Electronics 7 04-15-2014 02:32 PM
Spectrum dx4 series radio. onecool54@yahoo Electronics 3 04-12-2014 10:25 AM
spektrum servos. ant good? dieselfuel Electronics 9 12-24-2006 02:34 AM