Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Trails and Tails of Rusty Jr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The Trails and Tails of Rusty Jr

I built my first SCX10 G6 kit about a year ago. I started a thread on that one but really didn't have much direction and honestly, it was my first "build thread" I had attempted. Recently I parted ways with Rusty (R.I.P.) and we had some great times on the trails! I didn't do a good job of documenting the many miles we hiked and traveled together. He was a good one and is already missed by many. But, as with many great vehicles I've had over the years (mostly Jeeps), his replacement, Rusty Jr, has been a fun 2nd kit build and I'm excited for the many trails we will run together!

I recently was made aware of Naz-T's thread of Dudley the Deadbolt and love how T-Money has documented all the trails and miles he and Dudley have traveled together. Being a guy that doesn't believe in re-creating the wheel, I wanted to start a similar thread documenting as many of the trails and miles Rusty Jr AKA RJ and I travel together! I hope to do ½ as good a job at keeping this thread current as Mike has done with Dudley! You may catch a glimpse or two of the infamous Dudley throughout this thread too!!

And so begins the life of Rusty's replacement, Rusty Jr!

Nice line!

Last edited by im4est; 08-12-2015 at 04:28 PM.
im4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2015, 04:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here are some of the technical specs and parts used building RJ:

2012 SCX10 JK Rubicon Unlimited Kit
1.9 Axial BFG Krawler tires with stock foams
1.9 Vanquish Method 101 wheels
3 oz of weight per front tire (6oz total)
Axial Aluminum C Hubs
Robinson Racing metal trans gears
Holmes Hobbies 13T Crawlmaster Motor
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster ESC
Castle BEC
HiTec HS-7955TG servo
Futaba 4 channel receiver
Spaz Stix Candy Orange paint

I believe in supporting local business! Everything purchased for Rusty Jr came from my local hobby shop in Salt Lake City - West Valley Hobbies (thanks for the 801rcc club discount when possible T-Money).

Time: 4 hour build and 3 hours body work!

Total Hours: 7
Total Miles: 0

Nice line!

Last edited by im4est; 08-08-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

#1 - Rusty Jr's Maiden Voyage!

After finishing up the kit and letting the paint almost dry, I had to take it down to my "go to" spot Farmington Pond. This has always been a great spot to go play on a few rocks to get a feel for how my rigs are going to handle on the trail.

Rusty was built to climb like a mountain goat so getting used to RJ is going to take some time! The thing I noticed tonight on the maiden voyage was the departure angle with the spare tire isn't at all what I'm used to! RJ also could stand to shed a little weight up top! The heavier cage on the JK vs the G6 cage is definitely noticeable. The handling is actually very much like a real jeep would be and adds a little extra challenge in driving! Picking the right line is definitely a must with Rusty Jr!

Time run: 1 hr
Distance: .5 miles

Total Hours: 8
Total Miles: .5

Nice line!

Last edited by im4est; 08-08-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Trails and Tails of Rusty Jr

Nice clean build.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

this will be a great thread! nice truck!
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Great color. Like the blacked out grill too.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

#2 - Rocking RJ at Farmington Pond

I made another trip out with RJ. This spot is only 5 minutes from my house so you may see several posts here!

There are about 30 rocks that are perfect for an SCX10 wheelbase! These rocks are placed around the edge of the parking lot as well as the edge of the small park above the pond.

They are placed a few feet apart to keep people from driving on the grass...

RJ would like to thank the city of Farmington for their placement of these border rocks! Haha

Time: 1 hour
Miles: .75

Total Time: 9 hrs
Total Miles: 1.25

Last edited by im4est; 08-08-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

#3 - Bell Canyon Granite Trailhead

The great thing about living in Utah is living at the base of an incredible mountain range that provides some of the best scenery, lakes, skiing, and scale crawling trails in the world!!

Bell Canyon Trail is one of those! There are two trailheads that are both roughly .75 miles to Bell Canyon Reservoir. If your feeling really adventurous the trail continues up the mountain for several miles. I've made the trek all the way up to the waterfall in the past with Rusty. I wasn't logging exact miles when we did this journey but it's about 2 ½ miles I've been told.

This was the first "real" trail run for RJ and I was really impressed with how he did! On the way up to the lake I put on his lid twice which I felt wasn't too bad considering the very rough rocky terrain. I also had to do one HOG (hand of God) but only because I was trying to avoid the custom pin striping that the obstacle would have imposed! After a few more trail runs I won't think about those custom stripes much . On the way down the trail I only tipped it on its side once! Since making a few trail runs with Dudley, Jimmy, and Shrek, one of the trail challenges is to see who can make it down the trail without tipping over! This has proved to be more difficult than you would think because there are always an obstacle or two that are just too tempting to try lol..

Made the trip with Derek AKA Basher and my son Bridger.

I wasn't patient enough to wait for a great sunset picture like T-Money does with Dudley so often...

Time: 2 hours
Miles: 1.5

Total Time: 11 hours
Total Miles: 2.75

Nice line!
Old 08-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Great pictures and it looks like a fun build. Keep it up Forrest!
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I came here looking to see some "tails"
but I'll guess you meant "tales"

nice build
...but it looks too purdy to be a "trail" rig
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Rig looks great.Looks like a fantastic spot to play.Keep the pictures coming.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Great truck and thread !

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCrawler View Post
I came here looking to see some "tails"
but I'll guess you meant "tales"

nice build
...but it looks too purdy to be a "trail" rig

Tails, tales, tayels.. Haha.. If you came hear ;) for a grammar lesson.. I ain't yur guy!

Nice line!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

#4 - Rusty Jr's Alter Ego Dusty

Normally, if I wasn't doing a thread like this, I would run several different bodies on my rigs because I'm so gentle and easy on them and they all last so long . That being said, I have had a Comanche setting on the shelf and I have been wanting to get it all painted up for my SCX.. I decided after running RJ a few times that I might need a lighter body for comps. Also, because of the very nice gate placements at the 801rcc events, I felt like RJ didn't stand a chance at making all 200!

As it turns out, RJ now has an alter ego named Dusty. I finished up Dusty the Comanche and hit the trail to see how it was going to do on some steep nasty lines. This trail is located above Bountiful Utah and makes for a fun 1 hour run.

Time: 1 hour
Miles: .5

Total Time: 12 hours
Total Miles: 3.25

Nice line!

Last edited by im4est; 08-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #15

Ooh I like Dusty, as it happens my best friend's dad in high school (over 20 years ago) had a Comanche almost same color. And well we used to "borrow it" on the weekends. I do miss those trips to the lake, but thank you for bring up old memories.

Oh by the way, how did you get that color? My guess is Spaz Stix Candy Golden Root Beer, on the upper and just black on the lower?
Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora View Post
Ooh I like Dusty, as it happens my best friend's dad in high school (over 20 years ago) had a Comanche almost same color. And well we used to "borrow it" on the weekends. I do miss those trips to the lake, but thank you for bring up old memories.

Oh by the way, how did you get that color? My guess is Spaz Stix Candy Golden Root Beer, on the upper and just black on the lower?

You nailed the brand and close on the color! It's Candy Gold, then backed with Gunmetal, then black

Nice line!
Old 08-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

#5 - Ferguson Canyon Trail

We recently were able to go on a new trail located just south of Big Cottonwood Canyon. I've driven past this spot hundreds of times and didn't know there was a trailhead just off the main road up in one of the neighborhoods! T $ (Dudley), Kyle (UC Fab), Trent (Willy), Bridger (Shrek) and myself got together to try out the new terrain. As far as 1.9 trails go, it was on the more difficult side but one I will definitely do again! The foot traffic was a lot lower than some of the more well known trails that I've been doing in the same general area.

Here are a few pictures of the trail and "Dusty" RJ's alter ego! I've decided that Dusty will get limited use and I am planning on getting Rusty Jr in comp shape! Maybe shedding the spare tire carrier and top for comp events. The JK's 12.3" wheelbase works very well and I feel with a couple mods I'll be able to get RJ dialed in!

This trail had a bit of everything! We climbed 1.5 miles up the steep windy trail which took us about 3 hours with all the breaks and obstacles along the way. The trip down took up an hour. Dusty and Willy (Trents white JK) both took about a 100 foot tumble on the way down the hill! I suffered my first repair to RJ, a broken knuckle and Trent broke a rod end in his tumble!

Hours: 4
Miles: 3

Total Hours: 16
Total Miles: 6.25

Total Carnage: $5 knuckle

Last edited by im4est; 08-12-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

#6 - RJ on a diet at Farmington Pond

Bridger's summer days with day are getting close to coming to an end so we have been trying to get out a lot with the SCX10's! With this placing being 5 minutes from home it makes for a quick hour run on a battery and head back home!

Tonight I decided to lighten up RJ by pulling the rear bumper, swing out, spare tire, and hard top. Not only did it climb as good as alter ego Dusty but it looked way better doing it! Not that Dusty isn't a sexy son of a gun but he's no Rusty Jr!

Hours: 1
Miles: .5

Total Hours: 17
Total Miles: 6 ¾
Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

#7 Twin Falls Snake River Canyon

I had a family reunion in Twin this weekend and was able to break away for a bit to run RC's! I mostly ran my Ultra car on some ledges but was able to run a battery thru RJ. I didn't get many pictures of RJ but will post a couple and also post a few of my U4.

Miles: ¾

Total Hours: 18
Total Miles: 7 ½

Last edited by im4est; 08-16-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

#8 - Bikers Trail at the B

There are so many great trails so close to the house it makes it super easy to get out and do a quick night run! We have gone to this spot before several times but tonight we decided to stay on the trail that mountain bikers use to bomb down the mountain! It is EXTREMELY steep but there were a ton of scale rock obstacles along the way! Here are a few pictures:

Just a quick shot of the Jeeps
Right from the first few feet of the trail there are fun scale wedges and rock lines

The pitch of this trail is unreal! Even small obstacles can cause the front tires to lift off!

And a quick little video. It's always fun shooting with one hand and driving with the other

Overlooking Bountiful

There were several very cool rock ledges and washed out areas like river bottoms

Some pretty cool shots head on

Just before sun down!

Tires gripping too good probably lol

Shrek flexing it out!

RJ not wanting to be out flexed

Way above the road

Miles: ½

Total Hours: 19
Total Miles: 8

Last edited by im4est; 08-19-2015 at 01:38 PM.

The Trails and Tails of Rusty Jr - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heads and Tails Team Crawler Comp Derek108 Competitions 1 04-15-2015 09:13 AM
Any tails in vancouver ACX10 jeep wrangler Newbie General 2 02-12-2013 06:12 AM
Rooster tails are cool but slow and steady does the job. Holdencars Videos! 1 01-19-2013 07:02 AM
Red Tails??? really Burntnuts Chit Chat 8 01-14-2012 07:11 AM
rooster tails Kranberry Chit Chat 2 01-15-2007 04:16 AM