Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial Extended / Longer Body Post Solution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial Extended / Longer Body Post Solution

After an extensive search on forums and the internet, I was unable to come up with a single company that offered extended axial body posts. But, I found a simple solution while searching ebay. I ordered a set of Vaterra VTR230006 body posts.

They are considerably longer as you can tell compared with a stock SCX10 post. But they do not have the identical shape.
After a few mins on a bench grinder, shaving the semi flat sides, they fit perfectly. Plenty of length left below the mount for strength.

I do not recommend trying to shave these down by hand....

BlownChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Extended / Longer Body Post Solution

Nice solution.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Great idea and they seem to be made of better plastic. You could also drill out the shock hoop body post holes, but that might make already weak shock hoops weaker? I've broken the little piece off the top of SCX shock hoops where the little post retaining clip goes, could redrill that hole lower in the shock hoop where there's more plastic too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice solution and well worth remembering! What body is goin on there and what will it do to the centre of gravity?
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Great idea and they seem to be made of better plastic. You could also drill out the shock hoop body post holes, but that might make already weak shock hoops weaker? I've broken the little piece off the top of SCX shock hoops where the little post retaining clip goes, could redrill that hole lower in the shock hoop where there's more plastic too.
My main focus when experimenting to find longer posts was to maintain strength. The biggest problem with the short, stock posts when at max height, is that it didn't leave enough of the post inside the shock mount and was prone to breakage.

The Vaterra posts do seem to be noticeably stronger and more durable plastic, an upgrade in itself. But after shaving down the sides, it fits very snug but still slides in and out.

By installing these, there is no need to drill or modify anything else.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFoDes View Post
Nice solution and well worth remembering! What body is goin on there and what will it do to the centre of gravity?
Running a trail Honcho body and bed, soon to be a '15 Silverado truggy/honcho. I am running Super Swamper XL 1.9's and I didn't want to clearance the hell out of the body.

Putting the body a little further in the air doesn't affect the center of gravity any noticeable amount. Much more advantageous to keep the body slightly higher, and reduce the preload on all of the shocks. I run my front shock preload a considerable amount lower than the rears to help with crawling up steep rocks.

The extra 2-3 hole positions helped out a great deal.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

When you say longer, how much longer are you talking about? I am trying to fit a J Concepts 1974 Bronco on my SCX-10 and it looks like I need at least 2 more inches in the back.

Thanks
Chuck_Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Extended / Longer Body Post Solution - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***Giveaway - Axial AX-10 Lockers - The Solution*** TylerV Axial AX-10 Scorpion 185 05-25-2008 09:38 PM
2.2 Axial beadlocks-hex stripping solution? racenut123 Tires and Wheels 14 09-09-2007 09:50 AM