Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: When you have accumulated a ton of parts...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default When you have accumulated a ton of parts...

So with the addition of SSD axle housings to my SCX10, I came to the realization that my truck contains nearly no Axial parts. Not that this news is anything special, there are many trucks like this around the forum. The more important implication is I have enough stock parts to build another truck.

I don't exactly need another truck (I have 3 other scale truck plus a 4th for my wife) but I have a solution. My daughter is 2 and completely obsessed with trucks so this one will be hers. I know my wife will never dispute buying parts if they are for our little girl.

The build starts with 85% of a stock Deadbolt (a few pieces are either still in use on my truck, given to my cousin to keep his truck running, or destroyed by me). To get things up and running, the following has been ordered:

- RC4WD 35T motor
- Proline Bronco body
- Traxxas maxx shafts
- Axial shock hoops, chassis cross braces, and rear axle shafts.

Relatively unexciting stuff (except the Bronco body, I'm kinda jealous of that).

Looked on ebay to source a transmission and found one of those aluminum cased, steel gear ones from China cost only a few dollars more than a stock take off from a RTR SCX10. I figured why not and ordered one, it can't be any less durable than a stock transmission.

Now we play the USPS waiting game, pics to follow.

This may be a very slow build because, in addition to the truck, my daughter will be getting a little brother some time in the next week.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: When you have accumulated a ton of parts...

Good deal on the new build.Keep us posted on the progress.Im sure your daughter will love it!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I think that tends to happen over time to most of us in the hobby. I just pulled the "parts bin" out from under my desk and started going through it... I need a servo, a body and a receiver and I have a running scx10... Not sure where everything came from but hey, I'll take it.
mr.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

When I got home from work today, I was greeted with "Daddy! You have a box, open your parts!" In case you were wondering, all boxes that get delivered to our house are parts according to my daughter.

Now that the foreman is tucked into bed, it is time to see what we are working with (yay pictures!):

Axles; still waiting on c hubs

The front axle was saved only by the grace of Beef Tubes. That's right, Beef Tubes. Lucky girl, right?

Drilling these holes makes me realize I need a drill press.

One of these knuckles is a STRC and the other is an $8 pair from China, can you tell the difference? There really is no difference for this build.

A couple of shims take up the play in the axles.

A few fresh new parts.

Maxx shafts, not exactly scale but strong and cheap. They will be cut down to size once the wheelbase is set.

Other pile of parts at my disposal.

I realized that I will need hardware to bolt everything together. Daddy got a shiny new set of KNK hardware so now there will be an abundance of Axial screws in the parts bin.

The role of tires for this build will be played by a set of Ripsaws. Foams will be some that I have laying around. Wheels still to come.

The Proline Bronco body is awesome in so many ways. First, its a Bronco. Second, its .06 lexan for extra durability. Third, it is not a "crawler" body so Proline doesn't jack the price up by 50% (The Bronco was $26, the Proline Wrangler Unlimited is about $45). Color will be decided by the foreman.

More to come.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quick update, the rest of the parts I was waiting on rolled in last night so I decided to mount up the tires.

The wheels are $13 ebay specials. I figured they probably aren't a good as the Axial ones but $13 is better than gluing tires.

Turns out they are garbage for several reasons. The plastic is too rigid and every screw cracked the wheel around the hole, they provide self-tapping phillips screws to assemble them (those didn't even come out of the bag), and the rings are worst of all. The force of clamping the tire bead bends the rings even when tightened evenly (both the front and rear rings have a lovely wave pattern now when viewed from the side). Who knew there was a form of aluminum softer than R35 rubber? I probably could have taken a stick of butter out of the fridge and whittled stronger rings but then I wouldn't have anything to put on my bagel this morning. $13 down the drain but stick around in this hobby long enough and you will waste much more money on much stupider things.

The assembled wheel in the pic is from right after I finished assembling the first wheel then promptly pulled the tire out of the bead with not too much effort. Guess I'll be gluing some tires (or buying some Axial beadlocks, I really hate gluing tires).
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you are going to glue I have some new never mounted axial method race wheels you can have if you can pay for shipping.
FloridaCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCrawler View Post
If you are going to glue I have some new never mounted axial method race wheels you can have if you can pay for shipping.
Thanks for the offer but I have 3-4 full sets of Axial and Vaterra glue on wheels floating around. My daughter has been using them as blocks for the past year.