Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: stock gears?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Default stock gears?

my sons scx g6 kit is stock with a 27t brushed motor. whats the best way to get alittle more speed. not going lipo.
motor?
pinion?
axle gears?
captainauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: stock gears?

You can get a 20t axial motor for less than $15. You can up the pinion but that may shorten your stock motor life. Changing the diff gears is not the best way to change wheel speed.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What battery are you using 7.2 6 cell nihm? My son uses the 7 cell flat pack mounted side ways. It makes he's quite fast
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Besides i think that the SCX10 is stock fast enough on 27T (no basher), a Novak Terra Claw 20T might be your best bet. Come very cheap and may survive the SCX10.
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:27 AM   #5

my bad, its a 45t tekin. and yes, 7.2 nimh. its just alittle slow for him. and i agree. so motor change not a pinion change?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainauti View Post
my bad, its a 45t tekin. and yes, 7.2 nimh. its just alittle slow for him. and i agree. so motor change not a pinion change?
Absolutely. The pinion will be stock i guess, a 20T? That is big enough. Going bigger will only make it harder on the motor, possibly going hot. A 20T motor will make the SCX way much faster and still stable and good to handle .
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

if i swap motors, do i need to change any settings in the esc? total newbie here

can you just up voltages without electronic changes?

by changes i mean adjustments and settings.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-09-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Merge, posting a minute apart
Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The 7 cell nihm battery is 10.5 volts. And will speed it up a very noticeable amount. If I put a 6 cell in my son's dingo he complains it's to slow. Might be a cheaper option.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #9

do i need to make any changes to the electronics to run a hight voltage battery?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
do i need to make any changes to the electronics to run a hight voltage battery?
Depends on the ESC, most can handle 7-cell NiMH/NiCd (8.4v) without changing anything. Check the information on your specific ESC.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:19 AM   #11

thanx, will do. what about changing the pinion...no good?
Old 11-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanx, will do. what about changing the pinion...no good?
Depending on what pinion you have currently, a couple of teeth larger will give you a little more speed. Since I do not know what temperature your ESC/motor runs at currently I cannot recommend going larger. Shoot for no more than 150° F. Pushing that can be done but will start shortening the life of your electronics.
As far as motor, the faster motors create more heat, so you tend to have to gear them lower thus wasting some of the desired speed and shortening run times. Higher voltage is more efficient, lowering amp draw(read heat) and giving you more rpms to play with.

Really the best way for more speed is volting up. Lipos enhance performance in multiple ways, lower weight per mah, higher voltages ect.

To sum up volt up, gear down.
I run mostly all lipos now, started with NiMH. A 8cell NiMH roughly equals a 2s lipo, for speed, my old NiMH 5000mah batteries lasted for about as long as my 2100, 3s lipo.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Increasing voltage with the current motor and ESC will increase amperage as well. More volts = less amps is a widespread misconception based on just part of the principle behind the popular RC adage. This principle is missing a very important detail to be an accurate statement, motor output has to be regulated. If our motors were regulated to a specific RPM or wattage output. Then increasing the voltage would draw less amperage, but the motor will not be producing any more power or speed. It just does the same work with less amperage due to the increased voltage.

Since motor/ESC output is not regulated with our brushed and brushless systems, amperage, RPM and wattage will all increase when the voltage increases. More volts = less amps is not exactly an untrue statement, it's just inaccurate in regards to our motor/ESC systems because it's only a part of the principle.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote

stock gears? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is there anywhere that has gears in stock bennett Vaterra Ascender 1 04-11-2015 08:20 PM
Stock servo gears? InFlames Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 08-08-2009 08:13 AM