Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JUNKFOOT repower

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #1
Proverbial threadkiller

Default JUNKFOOT repower

First thing I'd like to do, is thank Holmes Hobbies, as this repower is compliments of winning one of their sensored brushless 4 pole Puller motors in a giveaway. I selected the 3300 kV 'Stubby' model.
Since I have no experience with, nor any equipment here for, a sensored brushless, I had them throw in a BLE Pro ESC at my cost.

It doesn't matter in the truck that I chose to use this motor in, but I still wondered if it was at all similar in size to a brushed motor. As you can see, once you get the sensor clipped in, it's darn near identical.
I don't currently have a working scale, so I can't make any calls as far as a weight difference, sorry.

As curious as I am, I resisted the urge to take this motor apart just to see what's inside. There's pictures elsewhere of the internals, and I have next to no confidence in my abilities where exploratory surgery is concerned.

Gimme a few minutes to get some linking taken care of, and I'll post up a few pics of the install shortly.......
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: JUNKFOOT repower

Okay, here's the truck I chose to bestow with the power.....

Spec Sheet:
Frame: TCS X-Trail (new)
Skidplate/motor mount: Custom (n/c)
Motor: Brood Intensity (new)
Trans: Stock AX/SCX (used) 16/87 gears
Driveshafts: Stock WB's (used)
Axles: Stock AX/SCX (used)
Links: Whatever I had laying around
D-mounts: Home made
Shocks: Stock e-Maxx shocks, no springs (spare parts stock)
Wheels: Stock Axial 1.9's (used)
Tires: RC 4WD Mud Slingers, (used) every other lug trimmed out
ESC: AE-2 (used)
BEC: Castle 10 amp (spare parts stock)
Receiver: Futaba R203GF FHSS (spare parts stock)
Servo: Hi-Tec HS-5645MG (new)
Body: Chevy C-10 (new)

JUNKFOOT was built as a trail truck, no real need for any 'trick-tech', just a nice solid, durable platform. As a result, the drivetrain is fairly stock and unremarkable. Well, was, anyway.

Last edited by Trubble; 12-13-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to include the........... Oooooh! cookies fresh out of the oven! Nom,nom,nom!
Old 12-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Up first was just to get stuff outta the way,

Battery plate, out. Gear cover, out.

Electronics, out.

All clear.

Next up, reloading pics.......
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

In go the goodies!

Hold the pinion (small gear on the motor), rock the spur (large gear) back-n-forth, got juuuuuus' a li'l tick of play, repeat three other places around the spur gear, lock dat motor down!

Check for clearance around the back end, lookin' good.

Reinstall gear cover, reinstall from battery plate, clearances good.
Rear battery plate is sacrificed to the new electronics, li'l 'servo tape', and off we go.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

And, all buttoned up and in running order.

(Optical illusion, the frame rails aren't bowed out, and the toe angles on both the front and rear axles aren't all wonky as they appear here.)

Old 12-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice.With a name like that you have to put a black F-150 body on it!
Blackfoot.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

For setup, I went with as many stock settings on the ESC as I could.
I think I had to reverse the motor direction,
I always run the cutoff at 3.5 vpc,
the BLE Pro has an adjustable internal BEC, so I set that at 6 and will just run the internal BEC for now.
I left the arm time and deadbands at default.
Throttle and brake curves are untouched.
I don't know much of anything about boost or ESC timing, so I just left those alone.

Batteries used were a pair of G-Force 3s/1300 mah packs.

Running opinions:

A) yes, I actually did get it out and run it!

2) Unfortunately, my running was just some goofing around out in the alley behind the house. I wanted to get down to River Park, and hit some trails, but I ran out of daylight.
In a trail truck, it's great. Ground speed is all I could ask for. Showed no bogging down in the grass.
The only snag I found with it is that even though it's sensored, it still isn't as smooth as a brushed motor upon startup. Once it starts up, it's smooth and strong, but just the getting going can be touchy.

and) I got some video, but I need to go back and re-shoot it. Can't stand the sound of my voice...... aiming problems mean the viewers are spending a lot of time staring at the grass while I fat-finger the battery connectors..... and the reward for all this is a few burnouts in a gravel alley.

Another problem surfaced while I was building this thread. I noticed on the box for the motor, " 50,000 rpm / 3s ". The portions with the parallel harness on a pair of 3s packs would probably be okay, but I should probably not put out those portions with the series harness installed. (TBH, not really enough additional speed to justify any damage you may do to your equipment.)

Overall, I think it's a nice piece of equipment. Now I just need to get it out someplace where it can stretch it's legs.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZ View Post
Nice.With a name like that you have to put a black F-150 body on it!
Blackfoot.

The name actually came from a buddy of mine. He had an old Blazer that was apparently worthy of the name. When I told him I had intentions of snagging that name for my project, his only request was "make it black and red".

Good call on that one.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Long time waiting, but here's an update.

Got the body back from paint, thanks to Keystone Splatterhouse RC Graphics.

Also scored with a nice, 50-some-odd degree day yesterday to temporarily break into winter so I could get a trail run in. The videos (yes, plural) are just raw videos, nothing to really write home about, but before we get into that, I'm going to make you sit through a couple of pictures, enjoy.

heh,heh,heh,
WZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

poor photographer, falls for it every time.

Alright, enough pictures, next up, vid-jo's!

First one up's going to be a li'l on the long side, IMO. And it's just raw video, nothing spectacular. But it shows what this truck was built for, and shows how the Holmes powerplant handles the terrain.
Previously I had noticed this combo was a little bit jumpy on startup, but then smooth once rolling, the day of this ride, I didn't notice that. It was just a nice & easy trail ride.

I don't know if you'll need (or want) it for this vid, but 1080p hi-def is available.

This next video will show a little bit better how this motor acts at both slow crawling speeds, as well as high speed blasting along.
(also shows why I have such a hard time getting anyone to photograph/video anything for me.)

So if you haven't already done so, swing on by HolmesHobbies.com and check out all the offerings available.