Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Dingo goes Yota from Down Under

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 05:22 AM   #1

Default SCX10 Dingo goes Yota from Down Under

Hi folks,
... here's a few snapshots describing the metamorphosis of my humble (first Axial kit) Dingo into a still-rather-humble freestyle Toyota FJ45.

Starting its life as a bog-standard Dingo Kit including the out-of-the-box lexan body it soon became obvious that there has to be done something to stand out of the crowd.

Stage 1: attach some nice and heavy Proline Titus (including the weight rings) plus a bit of rust. Proved sufficiently different for a while but then - boring.

Stage 2: add radiator cowling and headlamps, change colour scheme, modify rollcage, put spare wheel weight down, get better wheels (where the bolts do not sit in vulnerable plastic). Unfortunately no good pics, just snapshots from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYn9_9Xf8w

Still too far away from reality for a scaler. A Big Change[TM] is called for.

Stage 3: The Dingo body now rests in the spare parts box, being replaced by the front half of a reinforced lexan Toyota FJ45 body. The rear bed was made from PVC foam underconstruction planked with wood, the rest from wood and aluminium. Added some mock freight held in place by small magnets (box made from balsa wood, planked with wooden stirs from "Ronald McD" plus dirt and paint).
Happy for now with the general looks, although the rear of the cabin still looks too angular and "not right" to me - but this has to wait until the other projects on my list are finished.
Attached Images

Tom the Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SCX10 Dingo goes Yota from Down Under

digging the used/patina look on the first body. how did you accomplish that? The fj45 body is very unique. nice rig.
Microgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #3

Default Re: SCX10 Dingo goes Yota from Down Under

Hi there,
... sorry didn't spot your question earlier.

That is artificial rust, made with the aid of two component alchemy.

First you dab a solution satiated with iron particles on the bits you want to appear rusty (as a matter of fact, the iron contained in this solution will truly rust!)

After that has dried thoroughly, you apply the second component (a mild acid solution) and watch.

To create more rust, repeat step 2.
For even more rust, repeat repeatedly

The stuff I am using is exactly this one Triangle Coatings Sophisticated Finishes Rust Antiquing Set by Office Depot & OfficeMax

The small bottles will last for quite some time - no need to buy the stuff industrial size.
Tom the Kraut is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 Dingo goes Yota from Down Under - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new SCX10 Yota soilwork Axial SCX-10 7 07-26-2011 04:18 PM
my scx10 yota jedi_crawler Axial SCX-10 5 02-10-2010 04:08 PM