Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: CMS Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CMS Kit

What's the best cms Kit for 100mm shocks.

I have a level 3 that worked great for my 90mm shocks. However I had to extend the panhard rod when I went to 100mm. Also, had to take one of my upper links out to back down to 3 links, because 4 links would bind. Couldn't get full travel out of my shocks.

Is there any kits out there that's already good for 100mm shocks?
Fastyz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2016, 02:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CMS Kit

If you are running a panhard, you should only run 3 link, the panhard would be your 4th link.

The 2 lower links determine wheel distance from the skid, the 1 upper link determines pinion angle and prevents axle roll front\rear, and the panhard prevents axle sway right\left.

Get your panhard adjusted correctly for your height, and maybe make an adjustment to the upper link if needed for pinion angle, and you should be fine without buying a new one.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
If you are running a panhard, you should only run 3 link, the panhard would be your 4th link.

The 2 lower links determine wheel distance from the skid, the 1 upper link determines pinion angle and prevents axle roll front\rear, and the panhard prevents axle sway right\left.

Get your panhard adjusted correctly for your height, and maybe make an adjustment to the upper link if needed for pinion angle, and you should be fine without buying a new one.
Do you have any experience with panhard mount kits with more adjustments?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have used Hand Bros., VP, and DIY. DIY is the only way I know of where you will get more adjustment options axle and chassis side. There may be other kits out there, but I have not seen or looked at them.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

So your question is, is there a kit that will allow you to run a 4 link with cms and panhard? The answer is no. A triangulated 4 link is designed to keep your axle centered during suspension travel but a panhard is designed to move the axle side to side in order to eliminate bump steer.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
So your question is, is there a kit that will allow you to run a 4 link with cms and panhard? The answer is no. A triangulated 4 link is designed to keep your axle centered during suspension travel but a panhard is designed to move the axle side to side in order to eliminate bump steer.
Ya, I figured that out when, I removed one of my upper links, my suspension became smooth again. My question, is there a cms Kit out there with more adjustability to accomidate longer shocks. Example, 90mm shocks worked great, however when I went to 100mm, I had to lengthen my panhard rod, and relocate mounting to the hub pivot screw.

I may end up buying the vanquish mount and making my own links.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastyz400 View Post
Ya, I figured that out when, I removed one of my upper links, my suspension became smooth again. My question, is there a cms Kit out there with more adjustability to accomidate longer shocks. Example, 90mm shocks worked great, however when I went to 100mm, I had to lengthen my panhard rod, and relocate mounting to the hub pivot screw.

I don't know of any kits that are designed to work with a longer shock/travel range as most are marketed to be drop ins for a semi stock scx set up.

When extending travel past the stock design, new links are almost always a must. I make my own links regardless, but that is my own preference. I run a VP kit on my Ram with 80mm Transitions and a Lvl 3 mount(with SSD axle housings) on my deadbolt with 93mm XD Piggies. The panhard bar is designed to swing your axle on an arc that matches the arc your drag link makes when the axle moves up and down with a fixed point on the chassis(the servo). This prevents the truck from steering while articulating. When the travel is large enough that the housing moves outside the stock set up's optimal performance zone of the geometry, you will need to correct/redesign it.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:

What isn't working working when you put on 100 mm shocks? Posting a picture can help us help you.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Taking just one link out isn't going to make it a proper 3 link setup. You need to put the Y piece back in to make it a proper 3 link. At least thats how i think that works? maybe i'm wrong i've not gone with a cms setup yet on my truck so i could be way off.
lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
Taking just one link out isn't going to make it a proper 3 link setup. You need to put the Y piece back in to make it a proper 3 link. At least thats how i think that works? maybe i'm wrong i've not gone with a cms setup yet on my truck so i could be way off.
You don't need the Y link. Many of the kits come with one upper link mount some how integrated into the pan hard mount, usually moving it outward on the axle housing. A centered upper link isn't ideal, but can be worked around. With the panhard set up, the upper link is really just preventing axle wrap, as triangulation of the upper links to preven the housing from moving side to side is no longer needed. The pan hard bar keeps the axle in from moving side to side.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #11
Moderator Rule Breaker

SCX10 Pro CMS
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
I hadn't seen that one. Very nice piece!
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 PM   #13
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
I hadn't seen that one. Very nice piece!
It one of the most adjustable cms kit on the market.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This looks like the one to get. Gonna wait for a coupon code or free shipping. LOL
Old 02-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Have you guys have any issues with frame rigidity? Seems like all the kits wants you to chop off the cross beam on the driver's side. The only one out there that doesn't, is the vanquish.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...s06871/p263759

Or the st racing. Both of these increase frame rigidity.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+r...yf5b-gYvpQM%3A

Last edited by Fastyz400; 02-10-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I have not, but my front bumper design greatly increases frame rigidity. So I am not a good example.

If you have an issue, make a cross brace and put it in one of the front set of holes.

Last edited by DickyT; 02-10-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Have you guys have any issues with frame rigidity? Seems like all the kits wants you to chop off the cross beam on the driver's side. The only one out there that doesn't, is the vanquish.

Vanquish Products SCX10 Front Bumper & Servo Mount (Silver) [VPS06871] | Parts - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies

Or the st racing. Both of these increase frame rigidity.
https://www.google.com/search?q=st+r...yf5b-gYvpQM%3A
You can also use a 55-60mm link to brace chassis, much slimmer than the stock bracess, and you could put it In-between shock towers or wherever else there is a hole you like.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Does this kit only mount the servo longitudinal/lengthwise/parallel to the chassis rails?

I need a kit that mounts the servo latitudinally/crosswise/perpendicular to the chassis.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Does this kit only mount the servo longitudinal/lengthwise/parallel to the chassis rails?

I need a kit that mounts the servo latitudinally/crosswise/perpendicular to the chassis.
Correct, the mount runs lengthwise to the chassis.

If you are looking for crosswise mount I look at Gcm,vanquish,home made.

CMS Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMS kit help m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 4 02-14-2013 05:32 AM
rc4wd cms vs hand brothers cms kit bronc4now Axial SCX-10 4 05-16-2012 07:14 PM