Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Too many aluminum upgrades, now overheats!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #1

Default Too many aluminum upgrades, now overheats!

We got our brand new 2012 Jeep Rubicon RTR a couple of years ago and worked perfectly until heavy duty upgrades started. First we added metal lower and upper links, vanquish aluminum axle housings, Axial c-hubs/knuckles and rear lockouts. Then added front and rear metal bumpers and a winch as well. Not happy with that we added aluminum shock towers, 110mm RC4WD King shocks, 2.2 XL Swamper tires with the front wheels weighted and vanquish led light bar so the little truck started to stall on many rock crawling situations. My first solution was to add 43/13 ring&pinion, 16T pinion gear and 55T motor, that appears to made the trick until we added MIP from DS and Super Punisher rear DS and an aluminum trans housing (including throwing metal gears inside) and the motor started to get really hot. I lowered the pinion gear to 12T with a Novak Terra Claw 35T motor and Axial AE5 esc but the heating continue. The rig as it is weight around 10 pounds. Then added a twin motor plate and added a second Novak 35T motor and a second AE5 esc but changed to 16T pinion gear and the power was great with the slipper "slipping" a lot but still got pretty hot and last sunday doing some heavy crawling one of the motor smoked a little bit after 2 hours. Is 10 ~ 11 pounds too heavy for this setup? I just ordered 2 55T motors to replace the 35T but could it be something other than weigth? I'm using 3S Lipo with these esc's, could that be the problem?
bimar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
I joined the Band!

Default Re: Too many aluminum upgrades, now overheats!

Running two motors driving a single gear like that isnt a good idea unless you have speedmatched motors.. ( simply buying two 35T motors is not speedmatched )

You need the motors spinning the EXACT SAME speed at all throttle levels, Otherwise its just the motors fighting one another.

Also yes. Your rig is heavy, Go brushless

/1cents
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It sounds to me that you need to lower your gearing further... Those big XL super swampers are not helping. Get the smallest pinion you can find and if you are running hot still you may have to change gear pitch, or go with a GRU.

My scaler weighs 11 lbs 9oz and runs nice and cool. Cheaply integy 35t motor and 3s.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 03-02-2016 at 04:32 PM.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

As stated, Gear down, helps deal with bigger tires and more weight.
mk3jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

If those motors arent machd I'd go back to one motor, 55t, geared 87/12 to start....and make sure your gear mesh isn't too tight...
HockmanRCBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Too many aluminum upgrades, now overheats! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor overheats. duramaxcj5 Electronics 3 12-30-2012 06:49 PM