Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: waterproof ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default waterproof ?'s

Hello fellow Scalers,
I live in the middle of a rainforest and decided it's probably best to water proof my Honcho.... I'm running HH trail master ble pro waterproof ESC, a HOLMES puller pro BL 2200kv motor also waterproof , my Rx is in a sealed traxxas receiver box and my hitech servo still needs to be sealed and waterproofed( i watched a bunch of videos on sealing servos)...I'm also running a RC4WD Warn winch and matching controller and CC 10amp bec. My questions is about my winch controller and BEC, do these said componants need to be water proof also or can they be as is? Thanks in advance
Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: waterproof ?'s

I would just to be safe....I would say if it doesn't say it's waterproof it's not, better safe then sorry..just sayin.....also don't forget to water proof your bearings with some marine grease. Just my .02 cents

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+

Last edited by sharkattack99; 05-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I live in the rainforest too and have to battle the water constantly. First off, I buy factory waterproof when I can (Holmes FTW ). I use conformal coating on everything I can access (Rx, winch controller). The BEC is a little tougher with the blue shrink wrap so I fill the ends with epoxy. I gave up trying to seal the servos from the outside so now I conformal coat the PCB and pack them full of dielectric grease. Get some CorrosionX for electric connections and general lubrication, use stainless hardware wherever possible. Also an air compressor is a worthwhile investment.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I didn't see any waterproof labels so better safe than sorry like sharkattack99 said, thanks for the replies,I'm still hesitant to attempt water crossings or mudding but more I look around town more places pop out at me to wheel!!!
Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

You can waterproof everything yourself. Just buy conformal spray and spray down the pc board lightley untill its completely coated. Cover all connections with tape. Im regards to the esc, do not spray the top of the mosfets its time consuming but cut out tiny squares and place them on the mosfets. Then spray the board down. This stuff really works well. We use it at work when we freeze our integrated circuits to -60 degrees.

Ive completely submerged my rig for a few minutes once when i miss judge the depth of a creek once. It was driving under water for about 2 or 3 mins. It was scary, but fun at the same time.
Donkey_Punch is offline   Reply With Quote

waterproof ?'s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How waterproof is hh brxl waterproof esc? rusty577 Electronics 15 03-21-2013 02:35 AM
Waterproof servos...NOT so waterproof! durwank Traxxas Crawlers 17 02-08-2012 11:09 PM