Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: RPM Knuckles any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default RPM Knuckles

I have searched both here and google, and have only found one video about the RPM knuckles for the SCX10. I am thinking of getting a set for my son's budget truck. They look stronger and have notches for the Chub screw, so I could also get a few more degrees of steering out of the stock setup.

So has anyone used these? I'm surprised that I couldn't find anybody's opinion on these.....

UPDATE AFTER INSTALLATION:

OK, I got mine in and put them on my son's truck last night. Please keep in mind his truck is stock, with the exception of upgraded steering links. Here is a brief review:

Right off the bat, they were WAY too tight. There was a lot of resistance when turning them by hand. Since this truck already has a modest servo in it, this can be a huge issue. You don't want resistance in your steering. I ultimately fixed the issue by putting a screwdriver in each of the two mounting points and stretched the parts to be more open, instead of them pinching the C-hub. That fixed the issue and they now turn about as easily as the stock parts.

After installation, I noticed that they added a decent amount of toe out to the steering. I'm talking at least 5-7 degrees here. It's VERY noticeable. Unfortunately my son's steering link isn't really adjustable, and I had to cut down the rod ends slightly to shorten the link and eliminate the toe out. If your steering link is adjustable, this should be a non-issue to you. I ended up taking about 4mm total out of the rod ends to fix the extreme toe angle.

I also noticed that there was some positive camber after installing these. It's minor, but it's there. It bugs me. Positive camber is UGLY, and you can see that the front wheels are cambered differently than the rear now. There is nothing I can do about it other than to put the stock parts back on, and that bothers me even more. This is a tremendous oversight for a part that advertises "stock geometry" right on the packaging.

They seem very tough and I got a tiny bit more steering angle using them. The truck is still on dogbones, but I have to say that its steering angle is now pretty solid. The turning radius is about 3.5 feet. That's almost as good as my SCX10 II. No issues with the dogbones wanting to pop out. So if you are on a budget and want more steering for the cheap, these might be for you.

But since I had make adjustments to the parts, and the fact that they messed with the stock geometry quite a bit, I'm not really happy with these. I'm sure they will be durable, but having used RPM parts on at least 5 other vehicles I guess I expected more of a simple installation. It REALLY bothers me that they advertise stock geometry, because that is a bald-faced LIE. These will alter both toe and camber angles. Not to mention that you need to stretch the parts to fit properly. I could see a younger kid put these on his truck and suffer from slower steering, and even servo failure from the additional binding. I know RPM can make a great steering knuckle, as I have them on my HPI Blitz. Unfortunately that same precision we are all used to from RPM just isn't there with these knuckles. I can't recommend these.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 08-22-2016 at 11:26 AM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RPM Knuckles any good?

most of us buy aluminum after the stock ones break. but as far as your concerned they'll be a bit stronger than stock.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I put one on in a pinch (broke a stock knuckle and needed a quick fix). It has held up so far. Seems solid enough. They'll definitely give you more steering, but you may be limited by dogbones if you're still running them.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Slightly stronger and slightly more steering is what I am after. That and something that won't break the bank. The aluminum stuff goes on MY rig, not my sons. Thanks guys, I'll grab a pair and report back after some trail time.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I've had really good luck with RPM stuff on my basher - their nylon tends to flex a little where stock plastics just snap..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i see the steering arms but no knuckles on their page? do you have a link?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
i see the steering arms but no knuckles on their page? do you have a link?
I think you are confused. The "steering arms" ARE the knuckles.

Axial SCX10 Front Steering Knuckles | RPM R/C Products

You must be confusing the C-Hub with the knuckles.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
I think you are confused. The "steering arms" ARE the knuckles.

Axial SCX10 Front Steering Knuckles | RPM R/C Products

You must be confusing the C-Hub with the knuckles.
I was thinking chubs.....
Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've got them on mine. Was wanting to upgrade to metal but budget dictated RPM was the way to go for now. YES, a bit more steering but you will need the CVD's to really make use of it, (which I have, as well as over-driven gearing in the front) and YES way stronger. I've been quite happy with them as a cheap replacement for now until I upgrade to metal. I'd say get them even if your stock knuckles aren't broken yet as a backup. Worth the price I paid through RPP....$14 I think it was...
Kesuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I have a set on my Project: Cheapbolt in my sig. They are very good pieces and are holding up to the abuse I have been throwing at them and I have not been kind to them at all. touch more steering but much stronger than stock. I have a little review of them on my YouTube channel, link is also in my sig, if you are interested.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:09 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've had them on Jr's homebrew chassis rig and he thrashed them to no end and no signs of weakness. He also had universals with them and a 7950 hitec with 7.4 v going to it. There worth it!

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

They seem to go on very, very tight on my c-hubs but otherwise look very promising.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

OK, I got mine in and put them on my son's truck last night. Please keep in mind his truck is stock, with the exception of upgraded steering links. Here is a brief review:

Right off the bat, they were WAY too tight. There was a lot of resistance when turning them by hand. Since this truck already has a modest servo in it, this can be a huge issue. You don't want resistance in your steering. I ultimately fixed the issue by putting a screwdriver in each of the two mounting points and stretched the parts to be more open, instead of them pinching the C-hub. That fixed the issue and they now turn about as easily as the stock parts.

After installation, I noticed that they added a decent amount of toe out to the steering. I'm talking at least 5-7 degrees here. It's VERY noticeable. Unfortunately my son's steering link isn't really adjustable, and I had to cut down the rod ends slightly to shorten the link and eliminate the toe out. If your steering link is adjustable, this should be a non-issue to you. I ended up taking about 4mm total out of the rod ends to fix the extreme toe angle.

I also noticed that there was some positive camber after installing these. It's minor, but it's there. It bugs me. Positive camber is UGLY, and you can see that the front wheels are cambered differently than the rear now. There is nothing I can do about it other than to put the stock parts back on, and that bothers me even more. This is a tremendous oversight for a part that advertises "stock geometry" right on the packaging.

They seem very tough and I got a tiny bit more steering angle using them. The truck is still on dogbones, but I have to say that its steering angle is now pretty solid. The turning radius is about 3.5 feet. That's almost as good as my SCX10 II. No issues with the dogbones wanting to pop out. So if you are on a budget and want more steering for the cheap, these might be for you.

But since I had make adjustments to the parts, and the fact that they messed with the stock geometry quite a bit, I'm not really happy with these. I'm sure they will be durable, but having used RPM parts on at least 5 other vehicles I guess I expected more of a simple installation. It REALLY bothers me that they advertise stock geometry, because that is a bald-faced LIE. These will alter both toe and camber angles. Not to mention that you need to stretch the parts to fit properly. I could see a younger kid put these on his truck and suffer from slower steering, and even servo failure from the additional binding. I know RPM can make a great steering knuckle, as I have them on my HPI Blitz. Unfortunately that same precision we are all used to from RPM just isn't there with these knuckles. I can't recommend these.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #14
RCC Addict

You should contact RPM and let them how disappointing these were. Maybe they can use your experience to do some redesign..
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Great idea. I did that just now.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I just put some on my scx10. The fit was too tight so some fitting had to be done. They fit ok now, not perfect but usable. I also gained a bit more steering.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Are you using there knuckles and chubs they may be designed to work together and not have the camber or fit to tightly. I don't remember if jrs had eather of those problems. However there were super though.

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 08-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

RPM only makes knuckles
Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Sorry.

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 08-17-2016, 04:14 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Off topic: it's not bald faced lie, it's bold faced lie.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote

RPM Knuckles any good? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering/Alignment Problem After Install RPM Steering Knuckles? Barzan724 Newbie General 2 01-21-2016 06:32 PM
strc knuckles, c hubs any good aljeann Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 06-27-2008 01:24 PM
Where can you get good/cheap alloy knuckles from? XFACTOR Tamiya Clod Buster 9 04-01-2005 03:32 PM
RPM Clawz rubbing on knuckles. ccampb04 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 4 03-21-2005 03:18 PM