Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: SCX10 12" G6 - MIP Drive Shafts (Transmission Cover)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Default SCX10 12" G6 - MIP Drive Shafts (Transmission Cover)

Hi,

After advice if possible, I have the MIP drive shafts specific to the 12" WB G6. One of the drive hubs is longer to assist with clearing the transmission.
Unfortunately it looks as if it is still too bulky to allow for the transmission cover to remain.

I looked at the holmes hobbies extended transmission outdrives but was advised it would not allow enough travel for the MIP drive shaft.

Do you generally run without transmission cover? (a little risky I guess, would need to use dry lube).
Do you cut out the corner of the cover? (less risky but dirt could still get in)
Have an alternative solution?

These are the MIP's I have; MIP C2 X-Duty CVD™ Spline Drive Kit, Axial Jeep Wrangler (#AX90036), #15220

Cheers

Richard
bizarrefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 12" G6 - MIP Drive Shafts (Transmission Cover)

I run without spur covers and have for a while. Zero issues and no lube needed. It would just attract dirt.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I use the dremmel tool to get the needed clearance. I only use covers on my rig with a winch or jrs rig. I got the winch line caught up in the spur at a comp not doing that again.

149 r/c worx team driver

Last edited by snapon boy; 08-09-2016 at 04:56 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
I use the dremel tool to get the needed clearance. I only use covers on my ruling with a winch or jrs rig.

149 r/c worx team driver
Thanks Snapon, so you only run when you have a winch or jrs rig? So mostly you run without on your raw crawlers?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I run without spur covers and have for a while. Zero issues and no lube needed. It would just attract dirt.
As a crawler I guess it wouldnt naturally reach speeds where lubricant would be vital or necessary. I'm running hardened 32pitch pinion and spur though so should be fine with fine dust.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

My 50mph 1/8 scale never saw so much as a drop of lube on her spur gear.. Thats asking for trouble.
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Here is a picture of a few of my rigs. The shafy has no cover, my homebrew scx10 has a trimmed cover because I don't want the winch line in it again, my son's homebrew scx10 has a cover because he is 5, my 6x6 has a cover because I haven't smashed the ble pro yet and cleaned up the rest of the wiring. My winch is able to be plug play completely removable with 2 screws and 1 mini t plug and a futaba connection. If I go to a comp/event and don't need a winch I pull it to save weight. With a winch and body my scx10 weight is 5 lb 10oz without the winch it almost 5lbs which makes for a super perform. I ran the last few years without a transmission cover to save weight, you really don't need it /unless you use 32p spur gear and pinion once and a while a pebble will get stuck in between them. I hope this helps you if not pm me and I'll try to answer your questions.
Fish

149 r/c worx team driver
Old 08-09-2016, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post

Here is a picture of a few of my rigs. The shafy has no cover, my homebrew scx10 has a trimmed cover because I don't want the winch line in it again, my son's homebrew scx10 has a cover because he is 5, my 6x6 has a cover because I haven't smashed the ble pro yet and cleaned up the rest of the wiring. My winch is able to be plug play completely removable with 2 screws and 1 mini t plug and a futaba connection. If I go to a comp/event and don't need a winch I pull it to save weight. With a winch and body my scx10 weight is 5 lb 10oz without the winch it almost 5lbs which makes for a super perform. I ran the last few years without a transmission cover to save weight, you really don't need it /unless you use 32p spur gear and pinion once and a while a pebble will get stuck in between them. I hope this helps you if not pm me and I'll try to answer your questions.
Fish

149 r/c worx team driver
Cheers bud thats a great help, so from what you say, going to 32P might actually cause an element of trouble due to the larger pitch size allowing for more sizeable ingress. Makes sense. I was aiming for a lighter build so wasn't aiming for metal axles, keep stock but use beef tubes and VP beadlocks to keep weight low down. Still yet to choose electronics, wondering against brushed vs brushless, was looking to a Tekin combo with a roc412 maybe as I do like low maintenance brushless but sensored needed for low end crawling.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've never had that happen to me rock in spur gear/pinnion but seen it happen to others once.

149 r/c worx team driver

SCX10 12" G6 - MIP Drive Shafts (Transmission Cover) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIP Drive Shafts for SCX10 jray Newbie General 9 08-15-2011 04:30 PM