Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Toyzuki Motor mount performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Toyzuki Motor mount performance

Hey guys, I've been searching all over trying to find some after thought on the Toyzuki motor mount. I've seen Harley's install video but can't seem to find much about the performance of the truck after install. I just scored one from the for sale section(it's not here yet). I'm really interested to hear everyones thoughts. They can be first hand from driving it or watching a rig with one installed. Post up!
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Toyzuki Motor mount performance

73 views and no one has an opinion? So lets ask this question. Why aren't you running this set up?

Well, once I get mine installed and running I'll trying a climb that has evaded me in a scale rig. I think my Deadbolt has a chance to make it happen. With the Toyzuki forward weight bias and lower CG I'm hoping that does the trick. If so I'll be using one in my KOH rig that I hope to finish this winter.

I'd still like to see what people think about this set up. So please post up your thoughts. Maybe Harley can chime in with his thoughts.

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-06-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I am sure it is a great setup and i have plans of running it eventually. It does have its cons. It puts. The motor in a more vulnerable location for water dirt and the likes. I feel it is the final step for low center of gravity and forward weight bias. For now I run weight on the bumper and in the wheels. Have all my electronics on the front bumper and have the battery mounted in front of the trans across the frame. My setup will be ok till I run his mount then I will have issues with all the electronics up front and battery placement.
NeedDirection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think there's room for some electronics next to the servo or possibly a small battery. I rarely run in water but brushed motors don't care about that anyway. I like the idea of a divorced set up and this seems to be the more capable set up for that. I run my battery sideways in front of the tranny but that is not totally necessary.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I bought one for my scx10. Ran it once and sold it. For me all it did was swap the motor weight for the battery weight. I use a 2200 3s and they weigh almost the same. No point really. I sold everything already. I won't be buying one again as I'd rather run a more scale set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Forward weight bias, lower Cg... put your battery on the sliders or next to the trans... Supper light in G10, keep your electronics low,you will be hard pressed to beat this set up.

Add the chassis and your belly skid will increase. Adds scale points and performance, how can you go wrong
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I think it's one of the best upgrades you can do from a performance standpoint.

Move's the motor forward and lower than the stock location, creates a lot more room for an interior. You're improving your C.G and increasing your forward bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Forward weight bias, lower Cg... put your battery on the sliders or next to the trans... Supper light in G10, keep your electronics low,you will be hard pressed to beat this set up.

Add the chassis and your belly skid will increase. Adds scale points and performance, how can you go wrong
Haha, you beat me to it Dev.
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to weigh my current set up and again with the Toyzuki set up. Front to back. I'm currently running the Howler Customs electronics tray and a 5000mah 2S hard pack. I will be switching to a smaller pack, but we will see what the scale says.

Front currently weigh 1436 grams, Rear is 1043 grams. Thats with no wheel weights, which I usually run front & rear

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-07-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've got it installed but the bearing bore in the mount is pretty sloppy. It's making the spur wobble around pretty bad. Gotta find some green loctite I guess
Old 10-09-2016, 11:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Good bearings fixed the wobble on mine.

I think this is a mod for you if you want to compete seriously and want to squeeze all the performance out of your vehicle.

This made my C2 truck so easy to drive that I ended up selling it.

There are a few drawbacks to this setup.
Firstly it doesn't work with Dingo front links. The axle is so close to the motorplate that suspension travel is nonexistent.
Secondly it puts the motor on the wrong side of the truck and makes torque twist worse.

Other than that it's a great piece of kit.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

You kinda have to build the truck around it. If done correctly, performance gains are huge. Should look similar to this:
oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I've got new bearings coming! I'll try that before I try something else. I've got a 1300mah 3s battery that should fit where the motor was. I'll have to make a plate to mount it. Thanks for picture OP, nice rig
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I just put a piece of lexan where the transmission would have been. Some Velcro on that and a strap for good measure. I can fit a 2200mah 3s pack in there which lasts a couple hours. My rig is on the heavier side for a toyzuki. The front axle is 1.2lbs all by itself. The Currie in the rear makes it worse but it's all balanced out. I may ditch the knuckle weights and the Currie in favor of a lighter rig eventually.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durfeec View Post
I bought one for my scx10. Ran it once and sold it. For me all it did was swap the motor weight for the battery weight. I use a 2200 3s and they weigh almost the same. No point really. I sold everything already. I won't be buying one again as I'd rather run a more scale set up.

You didn't like it because you weren't committed to Bens set up. Mine crawled right passed all sorts of 2.2's, scx10.2's whatever.... putting more weight up high in the back pretty much defeats the purpose.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk View Post
You didn't like it because you weren't committed to Bens set up. Mine crawled right passed all sorts of 2.2's, scx10.2's whatever.... putting more weight up high in the back pretty much defeats the purpose.

I never ever put weight in the back. I said I swapped the place of the battery with the motor. Once the motor was up front I slid the battery under the trans. It did no better that way than when I had the battery across the frame.

That being said I would buy a full frame from him if I were going to build a strictly comp truck. I do prefer the scale side though. My next build will be using a r4 trans set up.

durfeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
I've got new bearings coming! I'll try that before I try something else. I've got a 1300mah 3s battery that should fit where the motor was. I'll have to make a plate to mount it. Thanks for picture OP, nice rig
you can put a 2200 3cell there it fits...
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote