Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 steering geomitry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default scx10 steering geomitry

is there a reason that is fixable for the scx10 steering to one side more then the other? i did some research and found people complaining about it with very little info on how to fix it. it has to be something with where the steering link is mounted. the one off the servo.

i can fix it with end points but only by taking steering away.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: scx10 steering geomitry

none of my scx10's exhibit that problem...any pics to show it?
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
none of my scx10's exhibit that problem...any pics to show it?
not at the moment.

it has to be link length and servo position. something i havent farted around on this truck. what got me thinking its a scx10 geometry problem is i know others that have this issue.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I am running axial high clearance knuckles on strc chubs with axial cvd's my left and right turns are maxed out...the steering arms turn until they hit the chubs...
Old 11-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
is there a reason that is fixable for the scx10 steering to one side more then the other? i did some research and found people complaining about it with very little info on how to fix it. it has to be something with where the steering link is mounted. the one off the servo.

I have noticed the same thing on my deadbolt. I have tinkered with mine a little and it seems like it depends on the length of the steering link. I have to sets, one set connects to the knuckle ( axial alum. links). the other is one of them asian ones and it connects in the middle. the axial one
works better but the plastic link ends are week
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 AM   #6
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post

have you:
1. properly re-align the servo horn to center as possible?
2. set the steering trim to the left of the right to adjust the problem?

oyaa what did you mean by "taking the steering away"?
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The ackerman angle is backward on the scx10. Instead of the inner tire turning farther than the outer, it's the other way around. It creates TONS of understeer.

The only thing that will help is to add a little bit of toe out using the steering link. Once you do that, the ackerman is at least equal distance. It helps a ton.

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 11-15-2016 at 08:31 AM.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
The ackerman angle is backward on the scx10. Instead of the inner tire turning farther than the outer, it's the other way around. It creates TONS of understeer.

The only thing that will help is to add a little bit of toe out using the steering link. Once you do that, the ackerman is at least equal distance. It helps a ton.

ok, now i get it, the op is talking about one tire having a sharper turning angle than the other...mine do indeed have that, but they turn so sharp anyway that i dont care lol
Old 11-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I'm a total noob so bare with me on this but how would I adjust the toe. I have tried to center the servo and that stuff but no idea on how I would adjust the toe
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You need to adjust the length of the link that connects the two steering knuckles. If it isn't an adjustable link, you should think about upgrading it to a metal link with adjustable ball ends.

I just reread your post though, and it sounds like you need to center your servo properly, and make sure the wheels are as straight as possible when you put the servo horn on.
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You need to adjust the length of the link that connects the two steering knuckles. If it isn't an adjustable link, you should think about upgrading it to a metal link with adjustable ball ends.

I just reread your post though, and it sounds like you need to center your servo properly, and make sure the wheels are as straight as possible when you put the servo horn on.

the servo is centered properly. since i made this post i have found out part of the problem. the servo plate was not tight and the movement that it created wasnt noticeable till i really tore into it. the root of the problem i believe and i could be wrong is the servo horn is not centered in the middle of the axle.if i adjust the servo horn so it sits in the middle of the pumpkin at neutral that could fix the problem if i was able to adjust my main steering link but i can as it is the fixed hot racing one.

scx10 steering geomitry - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need more steering for scx10 sixhundred71 Newbie General 11 07-04-2011 01:09 PM
scx10 steering SCcrawler Electronics 2 03-27-2011 08:24 PM
scx10 steering 97koukiman Axial SCX-10 0 04-17-2010 10:07 AM
link geomitry levi steele Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 12-06-2007 11:58 PM