Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What does an SCX10 need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default What does an SCX10 need?

I'm planning to do some mods to my son's SCX10 and my RR10 after considering a Yeti and all the associated mods that would need to hold together.

Not looking for a basher or destruction machine; really just some fun.

So with the following ideas, what do you think I need?

I'm thinking:
  • Dual Speed Trans
  • 3S
  • Castle Mamba ESC
  • Brushless motor

The idea is to make the trucks faster so I'd like to gear them so we get decent speed but keep the same stock crawling speed as they are crawlers primarily.

Basically: same low gear speed as stock but much faster in high gear on 3S.

Say 30km/h as a top speed.

So...
  • Would the stock diffs survive for long
  • Will I need the SSD metal diamond diffs straight away?

I'm not planning to jump the things like crazy guys do on YouTube.

I'll get the metal links for the diff housings and metal spur gears etc.

What else would I realistically require to keep them reliable?

By the way, the Axial 'hop up' parts are INSANELY priced.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What does an SCX10 need?

go with the tekin roc 412 3100kv or a holmes hobbies puller pro brushless, forget about the 2 speed trans..its not needed to do what you want although at 30kmh an scx10 will be pretty hard to control. Locked differentials and a narrow track width dont help it go fast.

the brushless motors I mentioned will work with the Castle MMP just fine and will crawl just as well as nearly all commonly used brushed set ups...

i would install brass beef tubes in the scx10 housings, use junfac or MIP drive shafts in addition to what you already mentioned...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Cheer allanon1965!

Would the beef tube setup be better than using the full SSD diamond diff assembly?

If it did 24km/h that would be fine. Just a bit snappier for between crawling as it probably only does 8-10km/h atm with a NiMH battery. If that motor/ESC combo crawls well that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Robust and decently snappy. Definitely not looking for a SCT or basher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
go with the tekin roc 412 3100kv or a holmes hobbies puller pro brushless, forget about the 2 speed trans..its not needed to do what you want although at 30kmh an scx10 will be pretty hard to control. Locked differentials and a narrow track width dont help it go fast.

the brushless motors I mentioned will work with the Castle MMP just fine and will crawl just as well as nearly all commonly used brushed set ups...

i would install brass beef tubes in the scx10 housings, use junfac or MIP drive shafts in addition to what you already mentioned...
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I think the brass beef tubes combined with aluminum chubs and high clearance knuckles are the best way to go for the dollars spent... I have had over a dozen sets of the scx10 axles built this way and while you can do other things like the XR mod and such, there is only so much turning you can do without breaking axle u-joints and hitting shocks and links.. my brushless single speed scx10II will go 12-14 mph easy... run it on a lipo and it runs well, I wouldnt use NiMH batteries anymore...

here is a shot of one of mine (an scx10) with this setup...plenty sharp on the turn if ya ask me...
Attached Images

Last edited by allanon1965; 01-19-2017 at 09:55 PM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote

What does an SCX10 need? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM