Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to me scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New to me scx10

Hello all.

I am fairly new to the rc world. I recently bought a vaterra ascender and have had a blast with it so far. For what ever reason I was looking around for a budget truck for friends to drive and just another truck to mess with. Long story short, I bought a scx10 on ebay a few nights ago. It has some aluminum upgrades, but is missing the electronics. I am trying to finish this truck on a budget, but want decent stuff if possible. I will for the time being run the stock servo and 35t motor off the Ascender, cause they are free. I am looking for a descent esc, and 3 channel radio recover combo. I have no idea if the stock axial esc is decent, and need a radio that is able to run a rc4wd winch on the new truck. I have searched and researched alot on this forum, but some of the info is several years old and I don't know if it's still relevant. I will post up pics of the truck as soon as I get it.

Thank you for any input, and I do apologize for asking a question I know has been asked many times before. Just looking for current info and recommendations for a budget build that will work, and leave some money to still upgrade the ascender.
Junkk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New to me scx10

iv read that the skyfly radios (think thats the name) are a nice decently priced radio option. also axial brushed motor and esc aren't to bad of an option for the price, people also use Hobbyking stuff too usually pretty cheap setups and are cheap to replace if you break them. but then again a nice system brushed or brushless could save you money in the long run too yes alot more upfront but will last you awhile too (just something to keep in mind) so either way.
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

I am not too used to brushed stuff yet but hobbywing wp1080 isn't a bad option. They make good ESCs and with no need for a BEC unless you go with a very powerful servo. Motors are usually very cheap from various companies. The Axial motors aren't too bad.
Brisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack99 View Post
iv read that the skyfly radios (think thats the name) are a nice decently priced radio option. also axial brushed motor and esc aren't to bad of an option for the price, people also use Hobbyking stuff too usually pretty cheap setups and are cheap to replace if you break them. but then again a nice system brushed or brushless could save you money in the long run too yes alot more upfront but will last you awhile too (just something to keep in mind) so either way.

I checked out the flysky radios, seems very reasonable priced for what they seem to be. Can anyone suggest which 3 channel model I would need to also run a rc4wd winch (one that has a 3 position 3rd channel is what I am guessing I need?)

Thank you for the info!
Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkk5 View Post
I checked out the flysky radios, seems very reasonable priced for what they seem to be. Can anyone suggest which 3 channel model I would need to also run a rc4wd winch (one that has a 3 position 3rd channel is what I am guessing I need?)

Thank you for the info!
Your welcome

You will need that yes, also will need a winch controller as well check out heyok (he's a vender here on the forum) he has some for a 3 position and 2 position switch as well. either check out his thread or message him he can set ya up with what ya need.

Sent From My LG V20
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
I am not too used to brushed stuff yet but hobbywing wp1080 isn't a bad option. They make good ESCs and with no need for a BEC unless you go with a very powerful servo. Motors are usually very cheap from various companies. The Axial motors aren't too bad.
Looked up the wp 1080 and it seems to be cheaper than an axial ae-5. Which would most people consider a better esc? I plan on upgrading the servo at some point to a savox like I did on my ascender, which for it I was told I needed a bec also. Works great.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Finally got my scx10 today. This is how it looked out of the box.....

I mounted up the stock servo and tires from my ascender. I am also going to swap in the stock 35 t motor. I should have the rest of the electronics in the next few days, all used from ebay. The body is going to need lots of cutting, and the stock bumpers and side bars have to go!!

I hope to have the truck running in the next few days.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well.... after lots of delays and such I finally have everything to get the comanche running. Ended up just ordering a ax-5 esc and the stock radio and receiver. I also found some tf2 bumpers cheap and plan on mounting those up. I am trying to get this truck use able cheaply for now so I still have time and money to spend on the Ascender. Hope to have pics of it in action in a few days...
Old 02-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Finally got to run the truck today! I was very impressed with how it worked. And got lots of ideas for improvements.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Picked up some bumpers for the jeep. They are trail finder bumpers, got them off ebay for less than $10. The front fits ok, the rear needs some work. They slide into the factory bumper mounts, but I will have to make a bracket to raise the rear bumper a little to fit flush with the body.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks nice bud are those the plastic tf2 bumpers or metal ones?
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Nice truck! I wish i'd seen your post about the 1080 vs the AE-5 before you bought one as the 1080 is worlds apart from the AE-5 for features and capability
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 Freak View Post
Looks nice bud are those the plastic tf2 bumpers or metal ones?
They are the tf2 stock plastic ones. Got them dirt cheap off ebay.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Nice truck! I wish i'd seen your post about the 1080 vs the AE-5 before you bought one as the 1080 is worlds apart from the AE-5 for features and capability
I knew the 1080 was some what better, but to be honest the reason I am running the ae5 is because it came with a 55t motor I bought for my ascender.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ahh if it's free, then that's fair enough but if you ever need to replace it or upgrade, the 1080 is really good.
I really like that body on the truck as well.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcoretam View Post
Ahh if it's free, then that's fair enough but if you ever need to replace it or upgrade, the 1080 is really good.
I really like that body on the truck as well.
Thank you. I am sure I will upgrade at some point, just trying to get this truck up and running on the cheap for the moment.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Got to run the jeep for a while today. Works ok, but could use some changes. Definitely need to do some triming on the body to lower it some.

Last edited by Junkk5; 03-11-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Trimmed up the flares some so I could lower the ride height and fit some different tires. I left a small portion of the flares so the body wouldn't look so narrow. IMO the larger tires off my ascender and the lower height look much better! Now to see if it helps the trucks capabilities.

New to me scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM