Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: First SCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First SCX

So I've been itching to build a scx 10.2, but after my Bomber my 5 year old fell in love with the TRX so I got that for him instead. I promised him I won't be pulling it apart because then he never gets to use t as it's torn down on the bench.

So I was going to piece by piece pick up parts for a 10 2 to run on CBE rails. I texted a buddy asking if he had a spare tranny and skid. He tells me to make an offer he has a whole scx slider.

So for 50$ I got this.

Now my question is, do I build this up into cbe rails and make it a 10.2? I deff want the new axles whether it be stock ones or curries. But is it worth moving everything around and getting everything for the 10:2

If not besides replacing the axles, what else is recommended. Bombers I know, the scx I have no clue. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First SCX

I'd start with new axles since you mentioned u already know u want them and a set of full metal links, and build it how u want it to look and replace stuff as it breaks. What electronics u gonna run?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Sweet deal! I'd definitely suggest going for the 10.2 axles, as they have way better clearance and way better turning. Stock frame is fine, I'd worry about other things before doing that. As far as links go, pick the wheelbase you want and look at kits. Once you decide that's too expensive, buy a set of Traxxas Revo rod ends (metal ball and high quality plastic, they WILL NOT get sloppy any time soon), some 3mm allthread from the hardware store, and some kind of tube that you can put over it so it slides over obstacles better, be it aluminum, stainless, or whatever else you choose. If that diff is stock, I'd make sure you have metal gears and driveshafts in the budget. You don't need them right away (some people can wheel for years without issue), but you inevitably will. If you swap to the 10.2 axles, you will also need all the parts to put the servo on the chassis and relocate the battery to an upright location next to the servo. Look at the instructions linked below to pick out the parts you need. Since the frame rails on the SCX10 and SCX10 ii are the same shape, you can swap over any other parts no problem. Other than that, it should be good to go, anything else to upgrade is up to you! Have fun!!!

http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...erokee_Kit.pdf
mjotrainbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

If you have a choice run the 10.2s but as stated above its a little more work, the clearance and better turning is worth it. from what i have heard you will need the 10.2 shock hoops as well
jag119105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys!

I have a set of 10.2 axles coming with incision shafts front and rear.

I picked up the vanquish CMS Kit from RPP Hobby. Battery I'm still working on. May toss it on the side rails. I picked up the side skirts as well.

I may not need shock hoops because the vanquish kit if i'm not mistaken comes with a panhard mount.

As for links and wheel base, thinking of comp cutting the rear and extending the wheel base a bit like the Wayalife/ NItto Stretched JK. Either going to make my own links or have JEC make me a set.

Electronics most likely Used MMP, Tekin 35T from my bomber and HOlmes servo.
Carnaw is offline   Reply With Quote