Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Xr mod or gen 2 axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Xr mod or gen 2 axles

I have a set of axles with vanquish vvd and vanquish inner and outer knickles with hd gears and titanium links, was wondering if changing to the new axles was really worth it vs going with an xr mod.. Thanks for any input
Evan Harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Xr mod or gen 2 axles

1st gen axles with narrow XR mod gives you great steering angle + underdrive/overdrive gearing options
2nd gen axles give you good steering + scale looks w/ front access to diff + better ground clearance

I am in a similar situation as you but already did the XR mod - the fact that (as far as I know) there is no economic and/or reliable way to get UD/OD on the SCX10II axles makes it hard for me to justify changing to the new axles.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
OvrKll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I do like the look of the new axles, but is the fact that it is a hipoid cut gear mean that it will not be as durable for the size and will they handle the abuse of a sensored brushless combo.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Just follow your heart. I like the new axles, like it because it has small pumpkin and I could run Panhard Bar for scale look.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've spent so much time and effort getting my old V1 axles built, I haven't found much reason to buy the II axles. Smaller pumpkin is nice for sure, but hesitant to give up my OD/UD setup.

Not to mention the cost for a set of II axles is just crazy. Lots of good options for $160-$200
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Harich View Post
I do like the look of the new axles, but is the fact that it is a hipoid cut gear mean that it will not be as durable for the size and will they handle the abuse of a sensored brushless combo.
Sorry but you are absolutely incorrect in your statement. Helical cut gears are used in high torque applications for the exact reason you are claiming they are not.
Because of the design they have multiple teeth in contact which provides them more strength then a straight cut gear. They are cable of high torque per square inch compared to a straight cut gear.

The only reason they have not completely replaced straight cut gear is that they induces a thrust load and that they require high maintenance due to the constant need for lubrication to reduce the friction of the gears sliding as they mesh.

Quote:
I have a set of axles with vanquish vvd and vanquish inner and outer knickles with hd gears and titanium links, was wondering if changing to the new axles was really worth it vs going with an xr mod.. Thanks for any input
Sounds like another rig is in order.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-29-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

[ Helical cut gears are used in high torque applications for the exact reason you are claiming they are not.
Because of the design they have multiple teeth in contact which provides them more strength then a straight cut gear. They are cable of high torque per square inch compared to a straight cut gear.

The only reason they have not completely replaced straight cut gear is that they induces a thrust load and that they require high maintenance due to the constant need for lubrication to reduce the friction of the gears sliding as they mesh.] I have no clue how to quot sorry.

I say that because of the way a hipoid cut gear for a high pinion axle pushes away from the ring gear and a amboid cut gear pulls Its self towards the ring gear, I would think that with a plastic housing there would be skipping issues? I guess it depend on the direction the pinion is being driven but it is very interesting how they have scaled down a high pinion set up. Just coming form a real world side of thinking or maby I'm over thinking it. They do look great tho.

Last edited by Evan Harich; 12-29-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:

I say that because of the way a hipoid cut gear for a high pinion axle pushes away from the ring gear and a amboid cut gear pulls Its self towards the ring gear, I would think that with a plastic housing there would be skipping issues? I guess it depend on the direction the pinion is being driven but it is very interesting how they have scaled down a high pinion set up. Just coming form a real world side of thinking or maby I'm over thinking it. They do look great tho.
I think you are. I just built my first set(in ssd housing) everything was a good fit, no slop.

I get where you're coming from. All these spare parts around its tough to make changes. The clearance on the new axles is very nice, its hard to beat that.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Xr mod or gen 2 axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap fix / mod sticky in Gen Crawl.... BENDER Comments, Suggestions, and Help 9 01-14-2005 05:27 AM