Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Jeep JK build (or built) photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #1

Default Jeep JK build (or built) photos

To be honest, most of this build is pretty common stuff and not very interesting. However, some of the drive line details might be of some interest to folks here so I’ll post a few photos.
I picked this up several years ago (around 2013 or ’14 I guess). It’s a Dingo kit that has undergone some modification to create this JK. I’ve been in the surface RC hobby since ’79 and this was my first RC that wasn’t a pan car, buggy or short course truck.
Initially, the kit was assembled completely stock (box art body, etc.). I wheeled it around in the back yard a couple times then pulled it apart for the conversion. I recall spending several weeks on the build, getting it to about 95% complete then parked it on the shelf to start another build. It’s sat on the shelf collecting dust until just recently. I’ve started to gather parts for a new Jeep Cherokee XJ build and was curious what the wheels and tires I’d bought for XJ might look like on the JK so I got it down, dusted it off and took these photos.
Many of you will recognize the hard body from ebay. I believe they are still available, albeit in slightly different Jeep models and color options. I think this one was from one of the early lots. To my eyes, this is the quintessential Jeep. When I think about it or when someone says “Jeep”, this vehicle immediately comes to mind.

That spare tire looks a bit comical; I need to fix that.

Tires, wheels and metal axles are also from ebay. If you’ve not seen this body before, it includes opening doors and a very detailed, full depth interior. The interior necessitates the relocation of the Dingo’s center mounted motor/transmission.

After some careful planning, I found just enough space for receiver box, ESC and motor under the hood which I was able to separate from the body and make functional. Fender wells and firewall are styrene. Firewall is carefully notched to fit around ESC and motor.

The hood is held closed using the rubber faux latches supplied with the body. While separating the hood from the body, I was careful to retain the molded hinges so they could be made functional.

Underneath, the chassis rails slot into a recess in the front of the body and the chassis is retained with a single post and R clip in the back. Simple and very secure. Rock sliders are standard Dingo parts. The links have been modified to suit the JKs shorter wheelbase.

Up front, the servo still rides on the axle but I’ve moved the steering tie bar to behind the axle to regain correct Ackermann steering geometry. I think it steers a little better this way. All shock hoops are scratch made.

The rear shocks are from the kit but they’re lengths have been shortened to allow them to fit under the body. The shock hoops fit in the cavity that is the rear seat.

I’m running the truck on 6 cell Nimh that has been reconfigured into saddle packs. These fit nicely in the cavities that are the driver and passenger seats and rest on cups that are made from styrene. The cups and body capture the batteries so retaining straps are not needed.

Last edited by LEV8; 05-09-2021 at 07:11 AM.
LEV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #2

Default Re: Jeep JK build (or built) photos

Now the part of the build that required so much time and attention. The Dingo’s original transmission has been reconfigured making a separate primary drive and t-case. The cases and mounts are scratch made and use the kit’s gears, shafts and bearings. I wanted to use as much of the kit as possible so primary drive also uses the supplied pinion and spur gears and complete slipper clutch assembly. Primary and t-case are connected using a universal prop shaft from a 1/16 E-Revo.

The motor is just some random old 27t brushed motor from back in my pan car racing days.

Having a set of wheels and tires that I really like has rekindled my interest in this rig. I plan to run the truck often this summer. I’d also like to paint the body at some point – once I finally settle on a color. I’m leaning toward a metallic gray or silver or maybe gold or copper – who knows. I think it needs some LEDs as well.
Anyway, I hope you were able to pick up on something interesting from this build. I have a few more trail truck builds to post in their appropriate forums (a trio of Blazers ('69,'72,'75) and '79 Bronco).
Old 05-08-2021, 09:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

My first RC Crawler was a Dingo kit.
Still use it today.

But.
None of your pics are showing.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:21 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It would seem your photo links are broken.
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #5

I will go and review the instructions again.
If I'm unable to fix it then I just delete the thread and move on.
thanks for letting me know.
I'm able to see the photos I post but I'm new at this. Sorry

Last edited by LEV8; 05-09-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The pics are showing at this time for me - and they are BEAUTIFUL!

Excellent build...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

Thank you. I'm very please with the truck. It drives great.

I'm using Google photos and I just found this post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The links you are posting from Google Photos not Imgur.

I haven't found anybody to get Google Photos to work reliably when linking on a forum or even sending a link to a person.
Every photo I have is stored on Google so it looks like hit and miss. Sorry about that.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Pics working Great.
Great looking build.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #9

Great looking rig!
jsix321@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep JK build (or built) photos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial's SCX10 II Jeep Cherokee R&D rig photos badger Axial SCX10 II 59 04-26-2018 01:50 PM
RC2GO - SCX10 II: Build photos and running video ranger01 Axial SCX10 II 6 06-25-2016 07:39 PM
1.9 Jeep BRUTE - Project ORANGE CRUSHER - MAINE CRAWLING PHOTOS !!! Jeepin-Paul 1.9 Scale Rigs 65 02-18-2013 10:01 PM
Rigs I've built this summer Half Cab Bronco,Jeep,Jeep, Sammy madscrambler 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 09-21-2010 11:38 PM
TTC build photos rock runt Michigan 112 06-02-2009 09:33 PM