Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 ii review by Holmes Hobbies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #61
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Axial SCX10 ii review by Holmes Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
So in your opinion, what is the better setup power wise that you have used so far?
for control, the CrawlMaster Pro 13t gives the best abilities all around. My favorite choice, if it weren't for the convenience and reliability of brushless.

For power, the Puller Pro is hands down winner and not too far behind on control, refined enough that I run them in practically all my rigs right now. I think a 2700kv or 2200kv will be the best choices for this rig. 3500kv is touchy with stock gearing and doesn't give the most relaxing trail run experience.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

2200 would have more torque but less wheelspeed right?
Thats the one you have in ur rig now? The 2200?
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #63

I have the 3500kv in it now, trying to break the rig without success. Changing KV does not change the torque a motor can output, from a theory perspective. Lower KV can have a slight torque boost from ESC efficiency gains, but higher KV will be able to produce more torque at any given voltage. So in practice, the higher KV motors will typically produce a lot more torque and power.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

The 13t Crawlmaster Pro is my favorite scaler/cralwer motor. I thought I would step it up a bit and I bought a 10t 550 CM for my SCX10.2 (that is on perpetual backorder, I ordered May 26th, yet to see my kit ).

Holmes, I notice that you really don't mention the brushed 550 motors. I figure it is overkill for a SCX10, but I cannot wait to try it. What did you have in mind when you brought the 550 CM to market? Was it a certain model, customer demand or just because you could?
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Holmes, I notice that you really don't mention the brushed 550 motors. I figure it is overkill for a SCX10, but I cannot wait to try it. What did you have in mind when you brought the 550 CM to market? Was it a certain model, customer demand or just because you could?

I could recommend practically any HH motor and it would work well in this rig for some purpose, there are a lot more than the 550s that are missing out on sales pitches

You make a point though. A 550 Crawlmaster Pro would be a great choice for the rig. Jumping it around with a 3500kv puller 540 hasn't broken anything yet, it should handle the 550. The 550 rebuildables were brought to market because we could, although the bomber and wraith are good candidates for "needing" the 550 size. I haven't had a chance to use one personally, don't really have anything asking for one. Which is probably why I'm not throwing out recommendations on them. I know it will be fun to drive and have killer control, but without that first hand experience there is nothing to go on except motor basics. More torque, more power, cooler temps, and higher drag are all consequences of increasing motor length. Somebody specifically asks for those and 550 will get triggered (or going brushless, ehem).
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 AM   #66

And if anybody asks why I'm up so late posting, it is because next week I'm driving the family 13 hours. The 8 month old isn't so fond of cars after a few hours, so we start the trip at night when she is going down. Which means I'm working on a split sleep schedule to prime me for being alert past 10pm. Sleep for 3 or 4 hours now. 3 or 4 more hours before dinner. By next week I'll be barely staying up late going to sleep at 8am
Old 08-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #67

And if anybody wonders why I'm up so late posting, it is because next week I'm driving the family 13 hours. The 8 month old isn't so fond of cars after a few hours, so we start the trip at night when she is going down. Which means I'm working on a split sleep schedule to prime me for being alert past 10pm. Sleep for 3 or 4 hours now. 3 or 4 more hours before dinner. By next week I'll be barely staying up late going to sleep at 8am

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 08-12-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I could recommend practically any HH motor and it would work well in this rig for some purpose, there are a lot more than the 550s that are missing out on sales pitches

You make a point though. A 550 Crawlmaster Pro would be a great choice for the rig. Jumping it around with a 3500kv puller 540 hasn't broken anything yet, it should handle the 550. The 550 rebuildables were brought to market because we could, although the bomber and wraith are good candidates for "needing" the 550 size. I haven't had a chance to use one personally, don't really have anything asking for one. Which is probably why I'm not throwing out recommendations on them. I know it will be fun to drive and have killer control, but without that first hand experience there is nothing to go on except motor basics. More torque, more power, cooler temps, and higher drag are all consequences of increasing motor length. Somebody specifically asks for those and 550 will get triggered (or going brushless, ehem).
I see that the 550 crawlmasters are out of stock and seeing these posts just made me want to ask but are the 550's a custom order thing or will they be sold just like the 540's and just gotta wait for them to come back in stock?
wsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Anyone know if the scx10 I aluminum knuckles n chubs can be installed on the r44 axles or must you run specific r44 axle parts? I understand alot of parts are interchangeable but not sure about the axles??
firstpasstommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #70

Quote:
for control, the CrawlMaster Pro 13t gives the best abilities all around. My favorite choice, if it weren't for the convenience and reliability of brushless.

For power, the Puller Pro is hands down winner and not too far behind on control, refined enough that I run them in practically all my rigs right now. I think a 2700kv or 2200kv will be the best choices for this rig. 3500kv is touchy with stock gearing and doesn't give the most relaxing trail run experience.
So if staying brushed; do you think the 16t CM pro would be a better choice? Longer brush life, more control, better trail manners, less heat, etc? Would love to see a comparison video with the 16t Crawlmaster.
Nealiuo240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmb View Post
I see that the 550 crawlmasters are out of stock and seeing these posts just made me want to ask but are the 550's a custom order thing or will they be sold just like the 540's and just gotta wait for them to come back in stock?
We build them for inventory, but being a newer item with less demand it will cycle in and out of inventory sometimes. We have been winding 550s this week, so if the variant you want is out of stock now it will probably be back next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstpasstommy View Post
Anyone know if the scx10 I aluminum knuckles n chubs can be installed on the r44 axles or must you run specific r44 axle parts? I understand alot of parts are interchangeable but not sure about the axles??
The axle parts are all new, not compatible with scx10 or wraith axle parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealiuo240z View Post
So if staying brushed; do you think the 16t CM pro would be a better choice? Longer brush life, more control, better trail manners, less heat, etc? Would love to see a comparison video with the 16t Crawlmaster.
I personally use the 13t exclusively in my builds. I prefer the extra speed compared to a 16t. But a lot of folks like speed more like a 35t motor, and you are correct about the effects. Longer brush life, more control, better manners on the trail, cooler running. It will be about 20% slower than the 13t.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #72
Rock Stacker

Will more Standard Puller Pro 540s be in stock soon? Specifically the 3500KV?
Benbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #73

We will have 3500s back in stock in a few weeks.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

Just ordered my 2200kv puller pro and your brushless esc. I also ordered the shv500 servo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

I hope the 2200 will provide me with enough wheel speed. If not will the esc combo handle 4s?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:36 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
We will have 3500s back in stock in a few weeks.
I presume the 3300kv on 3S would be more than adequate as well...no? The stock motor is just too slow on 3S for me...I want a little more straight line speed when I feel the need. Looking at HH obviously.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial SCX10 ii review by Holmes Hobbies

I have Pro Puller 2200kv on mine with stock gearing and it works fine. Speed is okay no speed demon but i only trail with mine!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by Haziza; 09-25-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #78
Rock Stacker

Hey John

Just wanted to pick our brain. I'm considering running a trailer master 2700 water proof with the ble pro setup with a 3s Lopo. Although I will not be submerging my rig. Will ble have any problems get wet. I don't see a water proof option. I am looking for lots of torque with wheel speed for loose gravel. Have u ran this set up yet? Thanks John.
makahacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #79

Hi all,

Looking to buy a Holmes Brushless combo for an SCX 10 II. I am leaning towards the "Puller Pro" as it seems like it has a smoother startup than the TrailMaster (that's correct, isn't it?)

If so, I am unsure if I should be getting the Puller Pro Standard or Stubby? Do both fit in the truck?

After I decide on the motor, I'll have to find out which KV is best... but, figured I would iron the first decision out first.

One last question, it looks like Holmes Hobbies offers their motor and ESC as waterproof for a little more. Is this waterproof in that it could be submerged or just water resistant?

Thanks all!
Westachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Hello. I have the waterproof standard size 2200 kv. I would go with the 2700 if I had it to do over. This one does have enough power to do cyclones though. I think calculated top speed was around 13 mph stock. I can gear up high enough to almost go as fast as the 2700. I think the 2700 would be the best of both worlds as it would work well on 2s or 3s. The 2200kv is very slow on 2s.

Axial SCX10 ii review by Holmes Hobbies - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster outdrive / spool review hotwheels000 General Crawlers 24 08-04-2015 07:04 PM
Kaetwo’s Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Pro 540 review kaetwo Electronics 5 07-22-2011 10:26 AM
Review of Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster 540 (16t) renoirbud Electronics 4 05-01-2011 08:34 PM
Which Holmes Hobbies Puller would you suggest for an SCX10 scaler? BigB_117 Electronics 12 06-27-2009 08:52 AM