Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Lv6spd's SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lv6spd's SCX10 II

Here are a few pictures of my SCX10 II just about ready for Axialfest. For the most part I left it stock but there were a few things that were very obviously in need of tweaking. I flipped the transmission and because I was in a rush, I had to make a metal mount instead of ordering the 3D printed version.

The other problem for me was the height of the truck. The rear sat very tall for my liking so I moved the lower shock mount down with the lower link and leaned the shock forward just a bit and put dual rate springs on it. The front is all stock. With the weight up front it sat just about right for me.

For the most part this is a very solid platform to build off of and Axial really made some well thought out changes. (other than the trans layout, still don't understand the thought process on that.

My only real complaint about the truck is the axles pinion gear grabbing the lockers. Mine is shimmed right now but I'm hoping the new Vanquish lockers will help alleviate the issue as well.

Some of my better detailed photos aren't working so I will upload those in a bit

Lv6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lv6spd's SCX10 II

Where is your servo? Interesting battery placement. I'm guessing you prefer a balanced rig instead of a forward weight bias?

That is a sweet rig. What shell is that? Is that just the Axial JK body with a removable hard top?
1967Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
Where is your servo? Interesting battery placement. I'm guessing you prefer a balanced rig instead of a forward weight bias?

That is a sweet rig. What shell is that? Is that just the Axial JK body with a removable hard top?

I do prefer a balanced rig because where I crawl there is a lot of side hilling but it is defiantly more weight bias in the front. This set up keeps weight low but its defiantly forward. That was the reasoning for moving the tranny forward and I also have a good amount of weight in the front wheels too. The balance point is right in front of where the front links meet the skid.

The body is the Axial JK with the Knights grill
Old 07-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I like the flipped trans, did you have to do any cutting?
jeepgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgod View Post
I like the flipped trans, did you have to do any cutting?
Yes you have to cut the stock battery tray and around the spur gear cover mount but the biggest hassle is mounting the front of the trans. The way they designed it to mount factory will not work. I chose to make a bracket but now they are 3D printing them which takes all the hard work out of flipping it. I will get better pics up soon so you can see
Old 07-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv6spd View Post
Yes you have to cut the stock battery tray and around the spur gear cover mount but the biggest hassle is mounting the front of the trans. The way they designed it to mount factory will not work. I chose to make a bracket but now they are 3D printing them which takes all the hard work out of flipping it. I will get better pics up soon so you can see
What is the benefit of flipping the trans orientation. Is their a performance gain to be had by doing so?
tandum4056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Some say yes and some say no. From what I've seen on this website, is that most people that have flipped the trans, didn't even try the trans. In the stock configuration. Hell, some people are buying the flip mount, before they even have the kit in hand. Personally I think it's too early to truly know whats better, and what parts need to be upgraded. Any modifications, or so-called upgrades would be based purely on assumption. Example: the VP lockers that were announced. Is this really needed? Has anyone broken the stock lockers yet, and been able find a durability issue? In the end, everyone builds their rig the way they like it, and that's part of the fun of this hobby. Sorry Lv6spd. I didn't mean to thread jack, or disrespect your build in anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitwhatsthat? View Post
Some say yes and some say no. From what I've seen on this website, is that most people that have flipped the trans, didn't even try the trans. In the stock configuration. Hell, some people are buying the flip mount, before they even have the kit in hand. Personally I think it's too early to truly know whats better, and what parts need to be upgraded. Any modifications, or so-called upgrades would be based purely on assumption. Example: the VP lockers that were announced. Is this really needed? Has anyone broken the stock lockers yet, and been able find a durability issue? In the end, everyone builds their rig the way they like it, and that's part of the fun of this hobby. Sorry Lv6spd. I didn't mean to thread jack, or disrespect your build in anyway.

Thanks for the input. So i gather not much if any of a performance gain; more so a preference to do so just because.
tandum4056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitwhatsthat? View Post

Don't worry about thread jacking.. The only reason I posted was to help others on their builds. Now as far as the trans orientation it moves the weight of it forward so that is a big deal to me. I want weight low and forward, it's plays a big part in side hilling and going up inclines. Makes it less prone to tipping over and hopping when weight is distributed correctly and suspension geometry is correct.

The only benefit to the locker is that it's smooth and MAY help with the gears grinding in the axle
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Any pics on how you lowered the rear?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Here is the bracket I made for the transmission flip. Very simple, nothing special just about anyone could find something to make this mount.

Below that is the shock mounted in the same hole as the lower link, again very simple but effective in lowering the center of gravity.

After seeing a few out of the box Scx10 II's at Axialfest I can say that these changes defiantly helped mine quite a bit. I'm not saying this has to be done but it fits my driving style best

Lv6spd's SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd trailfinder 2 axial scx10 hilux scx10 rubicon jeep TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 03-08-2016 07:11 AM
Newbie. Ordered CRC ScX10 rtr and SCX10 jeep kit. Mattdaddy1974 Axial SCX-10 15 07-11-2015 02:50 PM