Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Col_Sanders builds a Class 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Col_Sanders Toyzuki Build

My phone crapped out and I lost every picture I had, so many of the actual build photos are gone until I can get it rooted and use some of the data recovery software.

Earlier this year I built an SCX10. It was named Hannibal since I cannibalized parts off my other trucks to make one bad ass rig. Hannibal has been doing awesome in comps, but I just love the SCX10 II axles with their better steering and much smaller pumpkins. As soon as I saw the Toyzuki chassis, I knew what I had to do.

I started off buying an SCX10 II kit (sold most of it) along with a Toyzuki chassis, SSD HD transfer case gears, 3d printed gear covers, a Locked Up RC panhard bar, AX31134, and AX31410 to get going.
Attached Images

Last edited by Col_Sanders; 02-05-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Col_Sanders builds a Class 2

Hannibal Rising ? I'm digging the all the V2 Zuki builds .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It's nameless at the moment but I am stealing some parts off Hannibal so we'll see.

The second batch of orders included a set of Incision stainless links, Racer's Edge servo horn, Ascender roll cage/bed, Superlift steering stabilizer, and a Quicrun 1080 (for Hannibal since I'm taking his electronics).

Building the Toyzuki chassis was a bit more time consuming than just building a normal stock chassis. The cross braces, transfer case, and motor mount/trans are all held to the chassis rails by nuts that have to be pressed into some little notches. I filed the holes out a little to help with this. The transfer case and transmission went together smoothly and the covers are a perfect fit.

Other things to note...
This chassis is wider than stock so have some Jato rod ends on hand for your panhard bar and drag link. Also the aftermarket bumpers that mount outside the frame rails will not bolt right up. I ordered some through ScalerFab and gave them the new frams measurement (78mm)

Last edited by Col_Sanders; 12-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I wanted to add some weight down low and since these Curries are sexy I needed to have them. While installing them, I added VP spools and SSD knuckles. The SSD silver matches the Curries perfectly.

I love the Deadbolt/G6 bodies for a comp rig, but I decided to go a different route with this. The original plan was to use a Pro-Line Ram 1500 cab only with the Ascender bed, but the setup was a bit longer than I want so I cut the bed out and go into the cab a little. I also am going to try to use the bedsides. I still have work to do on this.

I have a Dinky RC Honcho interior sitting here along with a Bomber interior. The Dinky is worth quite a few more points (with a full bodied passenger and driver) but the Bomber interior is lighter and easier to install.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

what size superlift steering stabilizer did you get?

do they work pretty well?
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkattack99 View Post
what size superlift steering stabilizer did you get?

do they work pretty well?
90-120mm. Its just a replacement for the stock drag link and doesn't have any kind of dampening properties. It looks cool, has tons of adjustment, and its worth a scale point.

The threaded rod is a bit small and I'm curious to see how it is going to hold up to the large tires and Hitec 7950.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
90-120mm. Its just a replacement for the stock drag link and doesn't have any kind of dampening properties. It looks cool, has tons of adjustment, and its worth a scale point.

The threaded rod is a bit small and I'm curious to see how it is going to hold up to the large tires and Hitec 7950.
thanks, been looking at these for a bit finally bought one. like the way they look.

rigs looking good man
sharkattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post

I agree that the threaded shaft is a little puny. That's why I made a fixed length 3/16 stainless one once I found out the length I needed. I think it looks much better and matches my other links better. Lmk if you want more info on how I did it l.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I installed a long Protek servo arm on the Hitec 7950 to get the full range of steering that the SCX10 II is capable of. This puts a bit more stress on the servo and there were times that it would stall on me (yes I was running a BEC). I saw a couple threads on the Savox 2290 and its 694 oz in of torque and just had to have one. I am very impressed with the power. It will toss the whole truck around. The VP servo horn was a pretty tight fit.

My custom bumpers came in from ScalerFab. I had measured the frame at 78mm wide and for the rear it was perfect. The bumper is 90mm wide total with a hitch. The 2 silver things in the pic are some billet line clamps that I bought from Summit Racing. They are bolted to an L bracket and that is bolted to the chassis spreader. They are clamped over the Vaterra cage. I pull the front 2 body clips and the body rotates up.

I had also measured the front frame at 78mm, but saw other people say it was 77mm and they were correct. The font plate on the chassis just sits in some slots and relies on the trans mount and bumper to keep it secure. That one millimeter made a bit of slop. I ended up bolting a standoff between the frame rails just in front of the servo plate and everything is nice and secure. This is ScalerFab's pro series narrow front bumper with universal brackets at 78mm.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I had won a radiator in a raffle from Exclusive RC. This seemed like a good use for it.

I had only ran the truck a couple times before it's first comp. I had some pretty bad torque twist that I had not had before. The damn rear shocks had leaked out all their oil. I should have checked before I left, but oh well. I still did pretty good. I got 5th, keeping my overall standing at 3rd. There is no way I'll maintain that spot because I'll be missing one of the next comps.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Everyone with their Curries is making me want to use my credit card lol. Nice build!
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #12
RCC Addict

This weekend was King of the Hammers and Axial had a scale trail run and an enduro there. Its only about 215 miles away, so I decided to go for the day.

Hannibal (my trail rig) is currently down since I stole his Pro-Line shocks for this truck, so I just decided to take the Ram instead. I played around a bit with my rear shock settings and then just for the hell of it, I put my RBXLs on a set of Incision wheels I had sitting around. I LOVE those Bully wheels, but I think that black goes better with the orange.

I swapped my Roc 412 out for a 16t Crawlmaster Pro. I love brushless power, but for a comp rig I want smooth descents. No matter how much I played with my brake and drag brake settings, I was not able to get the brushless right for that. I had to drop down to an 11t pinion due to motor heat issues with the 12t. I was able to run the 300 gates at this course without getting much more than warm, but the course wasnt crazy. I'm going to have to keep an eye on the motor temps for a while, but if I have to gear down more I'll probably bump it up to 4S.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I just wanted to say that this is a badass build. Looking forward to seeing more updates. I am wanting to update my scx10ii build with a toyzuki chassis but it'll have to wait for awhile
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dittohead View Post
I just wanted to say that this is a badass build. Looking forward to seeing more updates. I am wanting to update my scx10ii build with a toyzuki chassis but it'll have to wait for awhile
Thanks! I wanted this build to be different. I haven't ever seen anyone use this body/cage combo and I'm happy with the looks of it. All the adjustment on the Toyzuki chassis is nice.

I have been playing around with different mounting locations for links and shocks. I now have my rear upper links up on the top hole. That has pretty much eliminated the truck's tendency to have the rear flip up and over on descents.

The shock situation is still not perfect. These Pro-Line shocks leak. I have a set of Deadloc shocks coming and when the Gmade RSD shocks are available at RPP I will order some of them to try out as well.

I'm going to mess around with my electronics mounting too. Right now I have the ESC and winch controller on the driver skid, the RX on the T-Case, and the battery on the other skid. A little more forward bias would be nice.

Col_Sanders builds a Class 2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Struhall builds a Class 1 Ford struhall 1.5 Scale Rigs 16 07-08-2016 07:40 PM
Krazed Builds ..... C-Class 2 piece CF wheels Robbob Vendors Tires and wheels 0 06-08-2015 02:34 PM
RE: To all of the new shafty class builds helhedded Axial AX-10 Scorpion 34 02-12-2013 11:53 AM